2022 GDT Week Four Da Steelers Vs. Da Jets

Steeler Hitman

steelers-vs-jets.jpg

1-2 Pittsburgh Steelers host the 1-2 New York Jets

Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 1:00 pm

Acrisure Stadium aka The Stadium formerly known as Heinz 

1200x0.jpg

Dig if you the picture. Of a Steelers offense scoring touchdowns.

The shout of fans praising the offense. Can you Steelers Nation? Can you picture this!!!!

fa15ef137f653fefc66e4d5c4c7d9b17

Outlook:  Mitch and the Steelers offense is not really that far off.  They have to eliminate third and long situations and take advantage of opportunities given by the opponent.

11369624-850x560.jpeg

Eliminate mental mistakes. The Cleveland game turned after a 35 yard screen play was overturned due to an ineligible lineman downfield. 

75daa440-3add-11ed-9ffd-05da5f7eb0e6

Use your weapons and skill players all over the field. We love the sidelines, but wouldn't it be great to see Chase, Dionte, George, Gunner, or Miles racing down or across the middle of the field for a long gain. 

49cde3f20e7cba1768aa2ad14c7cd922

Keep the Steelers defense on the sidelines for a while. They are getting gassed because of three and out series and the offense not flipping the field or scoring touchdowns.

3NzIt_L45RNbVRnL.jpg

The offensive line has been playing better each game. Hopefully that continues as there becomes more room for Najee and Jalen to run. 

1425010209.jpg?w=1024

Joe Flacco is no stranger to the Steelers.  He showed that he can still light it up in the air. I believe the Jets will try to utilize the same offensive attack as the Patriots and Browns: Run the ball, possess the ball, and wear down the Steelers defense. 

jets-defense-tackle-lamar-jackson.jpg

The Jets defense has a stout front seven, but has had ups and downs this season playing the other AFC North foes. There may be tough sledding running the ball against this unit, but the Jets have shown a knack of being thrown against with success. 

f241864db7b6127aab40e9c0d8fe902e

There will be a lot of questions that will need answered if the Steelers offense doesn't get going and they cannot bring home a win at home.  The schedule gets even more brutal and if the Steelers can somehow get to 2-2, they will remain in contention after the first quarter of the season. If they fall to 1-3, it will be virtually impossible to win the division, let alone sniff a Wildcard spot in the play-offs. 

Edited by Steeler Hitman
Finish the Thread
  • Like 1

Jets have better talent on both sides of the ball than most will probably give them credit for. I'm predisposed to thinking Flacco will screw things up somehow and more often than not, settle for field goals and or throw picks or fumble. On top of that, Zuerlein has been shaky and is definitely not Justin Tucker. 

I imagine were sticking with Mitch and would like to see us continue to establish the run game, and giving Warren 40/60 opportunities even some Benny while you let Najee get healthier. I have issues with Najee's vision/decisions but there was evidence of lack of quickness due to his injury? the added weight ? or is he just not quick enough for this level to do the things he thinks he can do? I think it's partly all three to be honest. 

Tomlin likes to send his message or whatever to the team about no victories in losing, but the Oline was definitely better and there were positive signs in the offense. He makes the decision to run with Mitch, I'm not hating him for it but the results are on him & Mitch and partly Canada if you ask me. His answers are like someone getting mad when you ask them how their plan to run through a brick wall didn't work. 

Im totally fine with allowing excuses for the defense of being exhausted. They basically played 4 games in 17 days based on the amount of minutes/plays they spent on the field vs the normal average for a game.  I do expect with this rest, they should be back on par and have their heads in the right place. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I have issues with Najee's vision/decisions but there was evidence of lack of quickness due to his injury? the added weight ? or is he just not quick enough for this level to do the things he thinks he can do? I think it's partly all three to be honest. 

I don't think Najee is ever going to knock your socks off blowing through holes and creating explosives....but I thought he has looked a lot better each week and is rounding back into form. Missing all the off-season essentially hurt. He didn't look the same in week 1, but improved from there. He missed a handful of blocks/holes early on I thought he would have hit last year. Against CLE he was much better though and I think that's going to continue. 

Now if they could only find a non-checkdown way to get him the ball in space.....

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I don't think Najee is ever going to knock your socks off blowing through holes and creating explosives....but I thought he has looked a lot better each week and is rounding back into form. Missing all the off-season essentially hurt. He didn't look the same in week 1, but improved from there. He missed a handful of blocks/holes early on I thought he would have hit last year. Against CLE he was much better though and I think that's going to continue. 

Now if they could only find a non-checkdown way to get him the ball in space.....

There was a play before his TD I  believe, down around the 10 yd line where he got through a very good hole that opened up, and about 60% of the backs in the league wouldve stuck their foot in the ground and exploded through for several more yards even a TD. It was just sloow, like 4.95/40 slow.

What I did like a lot about Najee vs CLEV was that he just hit holes. 3-4 yards and a cloud of dust type runs, thats what he needs to and should be. The rest will come from doing the dirty work first.

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

What I did like a lot about Najee vs CLEV was that he just hit holes. 3-4 yards and a cloud of dust type runs, thats what he needs to and should be. The rest will come from doing the dirty work first.

This was what I liked. I really just want Najee to grind current Zeke tape. Zeke doesn’t bust big runs much anymore, but he finds his hole and hits it hard. It seems nearly impossible to stop him from picking up a handful of yards as hard as he can go. I want Najee to use that giant frame and strength and just batter people.  He dances and tries to escape more than he should. Just hurt people. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

This was what I liked. I really just want Najee to grind current Zeke tape. Zeke doesn’t bust big runs much anymore, but he finds his hole and hits it hard. It seems nearly impossible to stop him from picking up a handful of yards as hard as he can go. I want Najee to use that giant frame and strength and just batter people.  He dances and tries to escape more than he should. Just hurt people. 

I think part of the problem is Warren only comes in when Najee takes himself out. Same thing happened to Bell too. I think Tomlin is too worried about having an AP bell cow and misses out on a good mix. 

17 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

There was a play before his TD I  believe, down around the 10 yd line where he got through a very good hole that opened up, and about 60% of the backs in the league wouldve stuck their foot in the ground and exploded through for several more yards even a TD. It was just sloow, like 4.95/40 slow.

I think I found the play you were referencing here on a rewatch. On first look, it was really bad, but the more I watched it....I kinda got it. Seeing Dan Moore get too far up field and having JOK cross his chest with a S sitting high in the hole seemed to make Najee stick right to go behind JOK's back (as Dotson murdered a man). If Daniels doesn't get thrown to the ground here, Najee walks in. 

But it's absolutely like what you are talking about. I just want to see Najee act like Derrick Henry and go full speed towards the opening, get in a huge car crash, and see what comes. A safety shouldn't win a rep in the hole against a full speed Najee. 

I ultimately don't hate the decision by Najee because he scores pretty easily if Daniels wasn't JV level on this play, but still -- go be the big huge person that you are. It feels like sometimes he acts like he is a 5'10, 215lb back who needs space. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I think I found the play you were referencing here on a rewatch. On first look, it was really bad, but the more I watched it....I kinda got it. Seeing Dan Moore get too far up field and having JOK cross his chest with a S sitting high in the hole seemed to make Najee stick right to go behind JOK's back (as Dotson murdered a man). If Daniels doesn't get thrown to the ground here, Najee walks in. 

This is also what I saw for this play when I watch Kozora's breakdown of the line. It looked like JOK flashed which made Najee avoid the hole. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

This is also what I saw for this play when I watch Kozora's breakdown of the line. It looked like JOK flashed which made Najee avoid the hole. 

I did get it from Alex's break down and it was the last play actually that he highlighted because the blocking was good all around. He got through the hole and just coasted. I may be being too hard, just that I feel that so many backs would've got thru that and exploded, aggressively/proactively deciding their way not reacting as much as Najee did. He basically coasted, and there were defenders coming in his defense and there definitely was a lot of color flashing, but he geared down instead of up. I wasnt trying to be hard on him, it just made me wonder if his foot/health was a factor in that play ( in reality im kind of trying to give him credit/a pass rather than questioning his instincts),

The play earlier in the half and in the breakdown was the one where he danced and I thought it was Delpit coming off the corner or around the corner that messed him up. I understood that more as to why he did what he did , but had he hit it straight forward he probably would've ran right by that. That was really the only play he danced all game.  

Highlights from Press Conference

Montravious starting in front of Tyson Alu Alu. Tomlin said hes just playing better than Tyson so far/right now.

Percy Harvin hip injury. Maybe carrying around all that extra weight doesnt help. I still think the kid they brought in last year was better by a good bit. 

Minkah concussion protocol...

No surprise here Witherspoon hamstring sounds like an issue for this week for sure. Id be surprised if he played.

Kevin Dotson ankle I believe. My issue is not as much as Kendrick Green having to possibly play but rather retarding the development and cohesiveness the starters were just seeming to get to. Hopefully Dotson can go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Highlights from Press Conference

Montravious starting in front of Tyson Alu Alu. Tomlin said hes just playing better than Tyson so far/right now.

Percy Harvin hip injury. Maybe carrying around all that extra weight doesnt help. I still think the kid they brought in last year was better by a good bit. 

Minkah concussion protocol...

No surprise here Witherspoon hamstring sounds like an issue for this week for sure. Id be surprised if he played.

Kevin Dotson ankle I believe. My issue is not as much as Kendrick Green having to possibly play but rather retarding the development and cohesiveness the starters were just seeming to get to. Hopefully Dotson can go. 

Tough to disagree with all these points. Waitman looked like the better punter, but I'm not ready to give up on Harvin. He's looked better this year. Hopefully he gets healthy. I guess it's a good thing we'll have Berry early in the season when it's hopefully not too weathery. 

2 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I may be being too hard, just that I feel that so many backs would've got thru that and exploded, aggressively/proactively deciding their way not reacting as much as Najee did.

Nah, I don't think it's being too hard. I get it. Being as simplistic as possible, I always feel like there are times Najee plays like a small back instead of a huge one. IMO, he often looks like he is trying to pick out the homerun shot and I just want him to get us a consistent 4-5, which looks to slow down the mental processing and limits the explosion when he finds the place he wants to go. 

• Like 1