Week 4 GDT: San Francisco 49ers vs Los Angeles Rams

J-ALL-DAY

Well, we once again play the Rams on MNF after an embarrassing performance. Did last season after the Cardinals game and even going back to 2020 we played the Rams on SNF after the putrid performance vs the Dolphins. I'm not saying this game is must win as there will still be 13 games to be played in a weak conference but it is undoubtedly a big game to determine the divisional winner. 

The Rams have bounce backed after their terrible loss to the Bills on opening night but they haven't truly hit their stride yet either. So they still have another level or two they can get to before season's end. This will likely be another physical, tough game that comes down to the 4th quarter.

Offensively, can we do ANYTHING please? I am confident our defense will play well and hold the Rams to around 20 points or less, but I have no confidence our offense will be able to score that much until proven otherwise, especially with the loss of Williams. Our OL seriously has not one reliable player at the moment, not ideal lol. While Banks has played well, you can't just say he is a good player yet and he will get a bigger test this week. Kittle is going to need to be involved much more than he was last game but I'm not even sure that is possible since he will be needed to stay back and help in pass protection. When all else fails, just find a way to get the ball to #19! 

Defensively, we will have a huge test with Kupp in the slot against Lenoir. While Lenoir may be the better run defender over Womack, I don't like this match up at all. Womack would at least have somewhat of a chance to compete and hold Kupp in check. The Rams running got going again last week and we will have to deal with Akers/Henderson. Even without Armstead, I think we should be okay in that area. Not that the Rams have faced off against good pass rushes the last two weeks, but Stafford has only been sacked once in each of the last two games. If we are to win, we are going to need at least 4-5 sacks. 

I just have no confidence at all in the offense right now especially with Jimmy making excuses of not being in game shape so I'll go with the Rams here.

Rams 20

Niners 16

I dont like the Lenoir/Kupp matchup. Not worried about the run game for LA. Stafford was under constant pressure against Buffalo, I could see the Niners doing something similar. Stafford is good for a turnover or two a game against the Niners, but I also do not have confidence in the offense. The run game didnt look as good last week if not for the two longer runs from Wilson. I would expect Kyle to try and run the ball 40 times in this game. I see him trying to keep the Rams D on the field as long as possible and limit the opportunity for mistakes from JG. When Kyle needs to hunker down he leans on the run. 

All things considered I still see a loss.

23-13

1 minute ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I dont like the Lenoir/Kupp matchup. Not worried about the run game for LA. Stafford was under constant pressure against Buffalo, I could see the Niners doing something similar. Stafford is good for a turnover or two a game against the Niners, but I also do not have confidence in the offense. The run game didnt look as good last week if not for the two longer runs from Wilson. I would expect Kyle to try and run the ball 40 times in this game. I see him trying to keep the Rams D on the field as long as possible and limit the opportunity for mistakes from JG. When Kyle needs to hunker down he leans on the run. 

All things considered I still see a loss.

23-13

I mean the only way that works is if Jimmy converts on 3rd downs. We were 0-9 until the second to last drive of the game against the Broncos. That's a recipe for disaster. We were 8-14 in the MNF game against the Rams last season and that was essentially the main reason for us winning the TOP and completely dominating the Rams. 

The Lenoir vs Kupp match up is not going to go well at all and I expect the Rams to spread us out and force these one on one match ups. I hope Womack gets his shot if that match up doesn't go well for us in the early going. 

I think this is the game that Warner forces a TO. It may be an INT or a big forced fumble. Bosa is going to need two or more sacks as well. Possible but even if all that happens, the offense has to show me they are somewhat competent lol.

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Dang, confident the Rams can put up 24 points against this defense or do you expect the offense to gift the Rams a score or two? Lol.

I expect a defensive TD from the Rams or a turnover that puts them in a great spot. 

They are also the best offense we will have faced so far, so I do expect them to have a little more success

Just now, Forge said:

I expect a defensive TD from the Rams or a turnover that puts them in a great spot. 

They are also the best offense we will have faced so far, so I do expect them to have a little more success

Sure, but their offense has not been exactly lighting it up thus far. Though they moved the ball almost at will against the Cardinals.

Makes sense, I can totally see a Jimmy TO going for a TD or putting the Rams in the RZ. 

Overall though, our defense should be able to hold up and do well like usual. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sure, but their offense has not been exactly lighting it up thus far. Though they moved the ball almost at will against the Cardinals.

Makes sense, I can totally see a Jimmy TO going for a TD or putting the Rams in the RZ. 

Overall though, our defense should be able to hold up and do well like usual. 

I will say that the the biggest thing Rams fans should be worried about is keeping Stafford healthy. If there's a game where you can see him getting hurt, it's this one

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John232 said:

27-7. Going to be ugly. 

You think this defense is capable of getting beat like that? I don't know man, since the Cards game last year, if we lose, it's usually in a possession game. The Bears game was the only loss over a possession but that was another game that was tight until the end.

Even with the incompetent offense, the defense is too good to get blown out. But we have to now take into consideration our offense turning the ball over multiple times in plus territory for the Rams. So I can totally see it after thinking it over LOL.

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You think this defense is capable of getting beat like that? I don't know man, since the Cards game last year, if we lose, it's usually in a possession game. The Bears game was the only loss over a possession but that was another game that was tight until the end.

Even with the incompetent offense, the defense is too good to get blown out. But we have to now take into consideration our offense turning the ball over multiple times in plus territory for the Rams. So I can totally see it after thinking it over LOL.

no. but you hit with the second half. i fully expect at least one TO in our territory.  i think our defense is the best in the league, but our offense is one of the worst and this Rams defense has enough power to wreak havoc on Jimmy and the scheme. so i’ll watch, begrudgingly 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean the only way that works is if Jimmy converts on 3rd downs. We were 0-9 until the second to last drive of the game against the Broncos. That's a recipe for disaster. We were 8-14 in the MNF game against the Rams last season and that was essentially the main reason for us winning the TOP and completely dominating the Rams. 

The Lenoir vs Kupp match up is not going to go well at all and I expect the Rams to spread us out and force these one on one match ups. I hope Womack gets his shot if that match up doesn't go well for us in the early going. 

I think this is the game that Warner forces a TO. It may be an INT or a big forced fumble. Bosa is going to need two or more sacks as well. Possible but even if all that happens, the offense has to show me they are somewhat competent lol.

I think it can work early, but the Rams will adjust and crowd the box to make 3rd and manageable harder to get throwing the ball and setting JG up for one of his patented gift wrapped picks. The real recipe is for the Niners to get a couple first half turnovers from Stafford and get ahead in the game by 13 or more. It will allow for them to play the TOP game and make the Rams one dimensional. Very similar to how they took advantage of them last year in Santa Clara.

27 minutes ago, John232 said:

no. but you hit with the second half. i fully expect at least one TO in our territory.  i think our defense is the best in the league, but our offense is one of the worst and this Rams defense has enough power to wreak havoc on Jimmy and the scheme. so i’ll watch, begrudgingly 

Our offense is one of the worst RIGHT NOW, but we have a large enough sample size to know it's unlikely to stay that way and it will at the very least be a top 12-15 type of offense in terms of efficiency. But will that start this week or will we have to wait a few more weeks until that happens?

4 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I think it can work early, but the Rams will adjust and crowd the box to make 3rd and manageable harder to get throwing the ball and setting JG up for one of his patented gift wrapped picks. The real recipe is for the Niners to get a couple first half turnovers from Stafford and get ahead in the game by 13 or more. It will allow for them to play the TOP game and make the Rams one dimensional. Very similar to how they took advantage of them last year in Santa Clara.

The five man fronts are going to be used by more defenses but Shanny has counters for that so I'm looking forward to see what he does this week. A big factor for the Rams this season opposed to the past is that they have Wagner now and he knows our offense very well and has always been a step ahead. But taking advantage of their backers in coverage is the way this offense is going to move the ball through the air.