Week 5 GDT: San Francisco 49ers at Carolina Panthers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Ward has a broken hand and if I heard right, the team is concerned about a potential ACL injury for Moseley. OMG. 

The knee looked bad when it happened. I was really hoping for an MCL. 

If they are afraid thatis' an ACL tear, that means that they couldn't feel it in tact in the on field examination. That's usually a very bad sign. Not always a guarantee (see Zach Wilson in preseason) but usually a fair indicator 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The knee looked bad when it happened. I was really hoping for an MCL. 

If they are afraid thatis' an ACL tear, that means that they couldn't feel it in tact in the on field examination. That's usually a very bad sign. Not always a guarantee (see Zach Wilson in preseason) but usually a fair indicator 

Yep, initial ACL diagnoses are hardly wrong. 

Oh well, Womack has to step up now and then when Verrett gets healthy enough to play, let's see what he can do. Womack is a gamer so I feel okay there but again, it's only so many injuries a defense can take before they see clear slippages. 

Looked like an ACL for Mosley to me. Just looked ugly and bent the wrong way. 

So Verrett back in two weeks? I don’t expect a ton from him until later in the season anyway. 

Used to it, but God this team is banged up. It’s gonna be tough to keep putting up elite defensive performances when most of the starters are out. 

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If Moseley was still healthy, I'd feel more confident as our coverage from our corners plus LBs is just too good. The DL will still find ways to get sacks even though it won't be nearly as good without Bosa. 

But man now with Bosa/Moseley/Armstead out along with Ward/Kinlaw? Sheesh! 

and shair 

I had glimmer of hope for an all time-defensive season from this squad, but with the injuries that's just not going to happen. 

The thing I hate about garbage time surges by the losing team is that quality players can get hurt on either squad. Really annoying. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

and shair 

Yep, forgot about him but the injuries have been ridiculous and yet not surprising since sadly this is what happens every season. 

Next week is going to end up being a dog fight likely with all the injuries we have right now.

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh well, Womack has to step up now and then when Verrett gets healthy enough to play, let's see what he can do. Womack is a gamer so I feel okay there but again, it's only so many injuries a defense can take before they see clear slippages. 

Curious to see if it's Womack that gets the call or if they shift Lenoir there. He did play the outside some today.  

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Curious to see if it's Womack that gets the call or if they shift Lenoir there. He did play the outside some today.  

After Moseley got hurt, they replaced him with Womack and left Lenoir in the slot...But before for that one drive they took Moseley out, they had Lenoir on the outside and Womack on the inside. I think they probably go with Womack on the outside since he's the better pure coverage corner. Leave Lenoir in the inside so he can be better in the run game...I mean that was the reason he replaced Womack in the first place. Womack didn't allow ANYTHING in coverage in the first two games. 

Womack is going to be getting a bunch of PDs but I'm curious to see how his long speed holds up on a weekly basis, especially against KC.

Or by then will Verrett be back at starting LCB? 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

After Moseley got hurt, they replaced him with Womack and left Lenoir in the slot...But before for that one drive they took Moseley out, they had Lenoir on the outside and Womack on the inside. I think they probably go with Womack on the outside since he's the better pure coverage corner. Leave Lenoir in the inside so he can be better in the run game...I mean that was the reason he replaced Womack in the first place. Womack didn't allow ANYTHING in coverage in the first two games. 

Womack is going to be getting a bunch of PDs but I'm curious to see how his long speed holds up on a weekly basis, especially against KC.

Or by then will Verrett be back at starting LCB? 

I'm curious to see if they want to put that kind of trust in JV that quickly coming off the injury. I would get it either way. I think my first choice would be to run with Womack on the outside 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm curious to see if they want to put that kind of trust in JV that quickly coming off the injury. I would get it either way. I think my first choice would be to run with Womack on the outside 

I fully expect Womack to start this week and then probably the Chiefs game. But after that? Then I can see Verrett getting the starting spot. Or do they wait until after the bye week to give him that role, IF he is healthy?

I don't know, but I have faith in Womack since he is super competitive at the point of attack and has a knack for the ball. Those types of guys just make plays when they get a chance...I felt like this with DJ Reed and he has ended up proving me right...Just on a different team LOL.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think SOOO lowly of Mayfield that he was 20-36 for 215 yards with 1 INT and 0 TDs and a QB rating of 61.7....Yet, I am a little disappointed the defense didn't make him look worse LOL. 

Yeah, I get it. Honestly, it's pretty much in line with what he has done for the year and you'd want us to make him look worse than he has against opponents who aren't us.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I get it. Honestly, it's pretty much in line with what he has done for the year and you'd want us to make him look worse than he has against opponents who aren't us.

Baker reaching 6 YPA is what made me mad the most. Thought he was going to for sure be in the 5 yard range. Oh well, can't hold every team under 10 points and under 4 YPP. 

So with the defense almost surely to take a step back with all the injuries and playing better offenses going forward, our offense is going to have to get back to 2019 level. The last two weeks we have averaged 7.0 and 6.4 YPP against two top 10-15 defenses. That is a good sign and something that will need to continue until we get healthier, especially at the DL. 

Will be disappointed if this offense does not put up 27+ vs ATL next week.