2022 GDT Week Five Da 1-3 Steelers Visit the 3-1 Bills

Steeler Hitman

I can't find numbers, but from watching the games it feels like teams have not pressured us at all. All four of those images above are 4 vs 5+ pass blocking. With a rookie QB going on the road against a beat up defense with a vet coaching staff, I really think that might change. 

Teams have not been afraid of our drop back passing game, and for good reason. Curious to see if that changes and what they might change about our OL. 

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

Or Aaron Rodgers, or Deshaun Watson. 

Wilson was the only one I was SEMI on board with potentially acquiring.    Never imagined he wouldn't even be better than Trubisky....at least not notably.

As meh as Trubisky is, he doesn’t handcuff us for several years the way Wilson may very well do to the Broncos.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 43M said:

Regardless of Trubisky or what happens with Pickett, we can all at least breathe a sigh of relief we didn't trade for and pay Russell Wilson.    

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

I also look at Hackett as the moral to the story of hiring “hot” coaches. Yes play calling HCs are on the rise, but hiring their assistants isn’t producing the results many thought it would. 

Also: there’s really funny QB stuff going on. Tannehill looks bad, Wilson looks bad, Geno Smith looks like he should have been starting, Daniel Jones looks good. ARod averaging less than 6 yards per attempt. 

Joining Welcome Home GIF

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I also look at Hackett as the moral to the story of hiring “hot” coaches. Yes play calling HCs are on the rise, but hiring their assistants isn’t producing the results many thought it would. 

I don't know that I would take that away from the Hackett hiring. Rather, I would look deeper on guys with track records being spotty and not letting one hot streak (with another coach calling the plays) be the factor in hiring. I'm also not just defending the "hot" Offensive assistant hire, but I don't believe Hackett is your example for that. 

The coach Hackett spent the most time with was Marrone. He broke in with Gruden. His last foray before HC'ing was as the OC on a team with a play calling HC and Aaron Rodgers. We are now seeing Bills/Jags former OC, not the Packers/LaFleur one. He has a history in the NFL as a very mediocre/bad play caller, which is exactly what we are seeing. 

There's also some good conversations now going on about new HC's removing themselves from playcalling. Daboll handed over the keys, Hackett didn't. Hackett continually is failing in situational football/decision making -- Daboll, isn't. Interesting conversation to be had about setting yourself up for success (I am also a firm believer in the Madden Theory: kids that grew up playing madden that are now coaching in the league have a far greater grasp of clock management and situations). 

11 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Rather, I would look deeper on guys with track records being spotty and not letting one hot streak (with another coach calling the plays) be the factor in hiring.

This is literally the exact same thing I’m saying.