BDL 2022 Week 5 - Cancun Kaiju @ Death Valley Nightmare

RedGold

Who Wins?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Cancun Kaiju
    • Death Valley Nightmare

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/13/2022 at 04:00 AM

I was in the process of making a little write up explaining my vote before the deadline hit (which I did not know about, 1st timer). Posting it anyway since I already went through trouble of reading the novel that is this thread + an extra 10 minutes remembering the rosters + 10 minutes remembering the gameplans. I still want to post since I already wrote it all out. Probably makes this worse for the winner knowing had I voted before writing they'd have the W...

This seems to be an actual rivalry and I love it. Both gameplans were great, it was like a chess match with both opponents guessing their opponent's gameplan and effectively countering this hypothetical plan. Neither really nailed the other down, but...

The talent mismatch I see between Cancun's OL and DVN's front is a huge factor, and I don't mind DVN's plan to throw a heavy dose of dime and quarter vs Mahomes. With a good backfield duo and strong left side, Cancun could have exploited this undersized and undermanned front DVN plans to trout out, but they mentioned not even running up the middle. That is a missed opportunity, and getting Jones in space on screens/tosses plays into the quicker and more spread out D the Nightmare will be deploying also plays in their favor. They will give up rush yardage by virtue of quarter/dime sets, but not nearly as much as they could/should have. Cancun still has Mahomes though, and with their hurry up offense against a non aggressive D, should be able to string together some long drives through the air off of 5-15 yard gains. However, in the red zone, against 6 or 7 DBs, and not looking to run up DVN's weak middle, I see some drives stalling. I'll give them 20 points.

On the other side, I quite frankly don't think Cancun's D is well equipped to handle DVN's zone read attack. They made an excellent gameplan to limit the pass and make this DVN offense more 1 dimensional, but when I'm looking at the rosters and scheme I don't see DVN's rush game getting slowed too much. I think you really do need to load the box against this offense, even if DVN goes w/ a pass heavy gameplan those WRs, nor Lamar, are too threatening. The talents of Lamar and Henry paired w/ that OL is punishing. As I said, I think the pass will get suppressed big time, that Lamar outside throw # was a key add, because that's right where my brain went "When DVN chooses to pass, they will kill those corners who would be largely without any help on most routes". Without really getting it going through the air, this offense will only do so much... but I think it will be enough, 27 points.

DVN 27-20

2 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I was in the process of making a little write up explaining my vote before the deadline hit (which I did not know about, 1st timer). Posting it anyway since I already went through trouble of reading the novel that is this thread + an extra 10 minutes remembering the rosters + 10 minutes remembering the gameplans. I still want to post since I already wrote it all out. Probably makes this worse for the winner knowing had I voted before writing they'd have the W...

This seems to be an actual rivalry and I love it. Both gameplans were great, it was like a chess match with both opponents guessing their opponent's gameplan and effectively countering this hypothetical plan. Neither really nailed the other down, but...

The talent mismatch I see between Cancun's OL and DVN's front is a huge factor, and I don't mind DVN's plan to throw a heavy dose of dime and quarter vs Mahomes. With a good backfield duo and strong left side, Cancun could have exploited this undersized and undermanned front DVN plans to trout out, but they mentioned not even running up the middle. That is a missed opportunity, and getting Jones in space on screens/tosses plays into the quicker and more spread out D the Nightmare will be deploying also plays in their favor. They will give up rush yardage by virtue of quarter/dime sets, but not nearly as much as they could/should have. Cancun still has Mahomes though, and with their hurry up offense against a non aggressive D, should be able to string together some long drives through the air off of 5-15 yard gains. However, in the red zone, against 6 or 7 DBs, and not looking to run up DVN's weak middle, I see some drives stalling. I'll give them 20 points.

On the other side, I quite frankly don't think Cancun's D is well equipped to handle DVN's zone read attack. They made an excellent gameplan to limit the pass and make this DVN offense more 1 dimensional, but when I'm looking at the rosters and scheme I don't see DVN's rush game getting slowed too much. I think you really do need to load the box against this offense, even if DVN goes w/ a pass heavy gameplan those WRs, nor Lamar, are too threatening. The talents of Lamar and Henry paired w/ that OL is punishing. As I said, I think the pass will get suppressed big time, that Lamar outside throw # was a key add, because that's right where my brain went "When DVN chooses to pass, they will kill those corners who would be largely without any help on most routes". Without really getting it going through the air, this offense will only do so much... but I think it will be enough, 27 points.

DVN 27-20

Sadly you’re too late buckaroo (which you already acknowledge) But good detail here

37 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Sadly you’re too late buckaroo (which you already acknowledge) But good detail here

Yeah I asked him to still post it, I had no idea who he was voting for or what he was saying, But he did tell me that he had done a write-up and did not realize that it had to be by 1 AM. I told him I'd still like to see what he said.

His post above is the 1st ***'s the 1st time I had seen anything or known who he would have voted for. But I appreciate that you did post it, that is quite a bit of detail @RandyMossIsBoss

4 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

On the other side, I quite frankly don't think Cancun's D is well equipped to handle DVN's zone read attack

That’s a joke. We have as good of a front 7 as there is in the league. Each of our starters on the DL has at least 2.5 sacks and Pete Werner is an absolute stud with 3 dynamic safeties, now 2 post Williams injury.

If you want to point out our corner issues fine, but this front 7 and strong middle is literally built to stop that. Good luck running the ball on us.

4 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Good detail? It’s egregiously wrong, especially when I post images of bear fronts and an 8th man in the box.

It’s fine, I need a break.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Good detail? It’s egregiously wrong, especially when I post images of bear fronts and an 8th man in the box.

It’s fine, I need a break.

Good amount of detail here it should have said (I didn’t read it except the first part where he says he didn’t know there was a timer)

On 10/9/2022 at 1:01 PM, RedGold said:

As a result, we will be matching personnel with big nickel for 3+ wide sets, but will be putting a 3rd linebacker in the game in 2 WR sets.

We love our Front 7 and our safeties, with NFL leading tackler Pete Werner proving to be a major problem for what Death Valley wants to do running the football, to go with some quality DL depth in Rousseau, Smith, and Thibs at the DE spots with Cam Jordan having value as an inside rusher or DE to go with Jonathan Allen. Austin Johnson, Travis Jones, and Tim Settle will also get early down reps to help be a bigger presence in the interior to stop the run, with our NASCAR package being Thibs or Smith (Rotating, both at DE), Rousseau (DE), Allen (DT), and Jordan (DT). We also, if he chooses to go 2 TE or unbalanced, will take a LB off the field and add a 5th DL, utilizing an odd bear front with heavy DE contain and both ends setting a hard edge with Werner keying on Lamar Jackson in the running game and Byard running the alley as well in power read. We will allocate 2 hats on Lamar, and our bear front up front will neutralize any threat of the inside run from Henry, with both A and B gaps being completely plugged.

Bills_bear_front.jpg

41670_h_0.jpg

This was all literally in context of stopping the run and zone read and there are literally 9 dudes in the box with 2 fitters on the QB and 2 fitters on the RB. If you want to vote against us, that's fine, but using the rationale that was used, whether that vote counts or not, really tells me that the gameplan was either not read or not understood, and that's quite frankly frustrating.