The Carolina Panthers must clean house IMMEDIATELY

biggie.

Well, they have accumulated some nice defensive talent, the OL looks to be formidable and the weapons aren't terrible. BUT Rhule is awful and the two trades for Darnold/Mayfield didn't pay off at all. Granted, they didn't give up much for Mayfield but he's no longer a starting caliber QB. Rhule needs to go and quite possibly needs to go NOW and Mayfield shouldn't play another game but for 2022 they are going to have bad QB play regardless of who they go with. This is actually a team that Jimmy G could come to and make decent. I don't know the cap implications of getting rid of Mayfield/Darnold at years end but if they can bring in Jimmy G and maybe Ryans at HC, then the team may have something. Will Jimmy G want to go to a team that likely drafts a QB in the top 5? That I don't know but they need a QB that will be relatively consistent and not be AWFUL like Darnold and Mayfield the last two seasons. 

This is a team that can make a solid jump just by upgrading at HC and having average QB play. I wouldn't be surprised if this team wins 9 or so games in 2023. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is actually a team that Jimmy G could come to and make decent.

Ah yes, going out and taking a QB that their own team wants to move on from.  The Panthers way. 

After seeing it fail for three years in a row, Tepper would have to be a fool to let the new head coach do the same thing.  Just draft a rookie.  If the rookie isn't ready, then sign some middling free agent.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Ah yes, going out and taking a QB that their own team wants to move on from.  The Panthers way. 

After seeing it fail for three years in a row, Tepper would have to be a fool to let the new head coach do the same thing.  Just draft a rookie.  If the rookie isn't ready, then sign some middling free agent.  

Bingo. Take the shot on a guy like Will Levis, CJ Stroud or Bryce Young. Going after retread after retread is another form of QB purgatory - you keep recycling guys who were given up on by other teams. Soon, you understand WHY other teams gave up on ‘em.

The Colts are currently in this spiral, and they’re coughing away a good core because of this.

17 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I mean are you going to compare Jimmy G's average play to the disastrous play from Darnold/Mayfield the season before they got trade to Carolina? Plus, Jimmy G would come as a FA and would not cost any picks. Jimmy has a ceiling for sure, but that's not being able to get over the top in the postseason. Carolina does not have SB aspirations unlike the Niners. BUT, I'm fully behind the Panthers drafting a QB in the top 5 and giving him the keys to the franchise from day one. And like I mentioned, Jimmy may not want to be put in this position again so it could be a moot point. 

24 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean are you going to compare Jimmy G's average play to the disastrous play from Darnold/Mayfield the season before they got trade to Carolina? 

I'd compare him to how Teddy looked, which was average, in New Orleans before we signed him.  Panthers should have stuck with cheap Kyle Allen then, just as they should choose to go with a cheap QB next year if not a rookie QB.  Unless we somehow secured a stud through a trade, which will depend on our head coach hire.

2 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I'd compare him to how Teddy looked, which was average, in New Orleans before we signed him.  Panthers should have stuck with cheap Kyle Allen then, just as they should choose to go with a cheap QB next year if not a rookie QB.  Unless we somehow secured a stud through a trade, which will depend on our head coach hire.

Sure, that's fine comparing Jimmy to Teddy. Jimmy though is not like Baker nor Sam who were AWFUL before coming to Carolina. The Niners got Jimmy's replacement because he's never going to be great and is too injury prone. But again, I think going with a rookie in the top 5 and handing him the keys to the franchise is a perfectly fine strategy. The pieces are there for a rookie QB to be successful.

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sure, that's fine comparing Jimmy to Teddy. Jimmy though is not like Baker nor Sam who were AWFUL before coming to Carolina. The Niners got Jimmy's replacement because he's never going to be great and is too injury prone. But again, I think going with a rookie in the top 5 and handing him the keys to the franchise is a perfectly fine strategy. The pieces are there for a rookie QB to be successful.

My point is the Panthers for three years in a row have went out and gotten a QB that their own team chose not to keep (Teddy, Darnold, Mayfield).  I'm not saying Jimmy is as bad as Mayfield or Darnold, I know he isn't.  However, nobody in Charlotte wants to see the Panthers go that route again.  We are sick of it.  This city has no spark.  People will revolt if for the fourth year in a row we try and hope someone else's trash is our treasure, hell we're already revolting, nobody goes to the games.  Panthers need to ride with a dirt-cheap QB or a rookie.  No shelling out cash for Jimmy G, because I don't expect Jimmy to be cheap.

Edited by iknowcool

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

My point is the Panthers for three years in a row have went out and gotten a QB that their own team chose not to keep (Teddy, Darnold, Mayfield).  I'm not saying Jimmy is as bad as Mayfield or Darnold, I know he isn't.  However, nobody in Charlotte wants to see the Panthers go that route again.  We are sick of it.  This city has no spark.  People will revolt if for the fourth year in a row we try and hope someone else's trash is our treasure, hell we're already revolting, nobody goes to the games.  Panthers need to ride with a dirt-cheap QB or a rookie.  No shelling out cash for Jimmy G, because I don't expect Jimmy to be cheap.

Which is fair, never said otherwise. But if you guys end up bringing in someone like Ryans, he may want Jimmy with him for a few years...Or he may not. My point was with Jimmy I can see the Panthers winning 9-10 games next season. And maybe that is something you fans do not want and would prefer just going with the rookie from week 1 who would theoretically have a bigger ceiling and take the lumps in the early going for a bigger reward down the line. Perfectly reasonable thinking. 

Carolina needs their own QB to develop. Jimmy G and that roster doesn't get them over the hump, so why even bother? Carolina has a good core, but they aren't a contender with an average QB. They need a stud or to drastically improve their overall talent if they intend on competing for titles with a Jimmy G caliber QB.

I thought the Baker trade would work out nicely for them. I thought Baker was good aside from last year, where he was hurt. Now he looks like mashed potatoes. Hard to argue that he's just not straight up bad now.