Week 6 Thread: Commanders (1-4) at Bears (2-3) - Thursday on Prime Video. MikeT14 will be at the game!

MikeT14

That ugly Bears win, could have saved the season for all we know.

We're 2-4 with a lot of football still left. It's still early.

We're like a boxer in the ring, as I see it.

We're taking hits, we've been knocked down.

Our eye is cut, our nose is broke. But we're still fighting. We're still standing.

The match is 17 rounds & we just completed Rd 6 & we've won 2 rounds so far.

If we can somehow win a few more rounds? All of a sudden, this boxing match starts to get interesting.

But we have to stay off the ropes.

We need to keep swinging.

And maybe, just maybe? We can land a knockout blow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We won because they muffed a punt and refused to kick field goals. We literally couldn’t move the ball down the field. The only scoring drive we had that led to a field goal was aided by two suspect PI calls.

Nothing about last night was a win. It doesn’t feel like a win. It just feels like the Bears made mistakes and we won because they tried not too. Carson Wentz didn’t even throw for 100 yards. He tried to throw multiple interceptions and the Bears just dropped them. We’re scoring an average of 11 ppg. 

This is why winning last night was so damaging. People are already making excuses for how poorly Wentz played. “Oh man, he threw an awesome block” “he was so tough” yadda yadda yadda. HE THREW FOR 99 YARDS! NINETY NINE! In an NFL game. Justin Fields was terrible and still threw for more yards. We can’t win like this. There won’t be a run and now they’re going to continue trotting Wentz out there because they “won”. If they blow a second round pick on this dummy it will just be devastating 

2nd quarter 3rd and 5, our 6'7" TE runs a bubble screen, Terry is a blocker, Curtis runs a 3 yard out, and Dyami runs a fly that's double covered (great play call). 4th quarter 3rd and 2 we run a read option with an immobile QB (another great play call). 4th quarter 2nd and goal and we run a speed option with an immobile QB (this OC is on fire and giving us a great chance). Curtis Samuel drops a good throw cuz he jumped when he didn't have to and then dropped another first down on the same drive. 2.22 seconds to throw. Carson missed 4 or 5 checkdowns pathetically last night which was extremely frustrating, but play calling is a problem and people just not making plays is a problem.

"We won because of a muffed punt" did it happen or did it not happen? That's football! Stuff like that happens! We have lost plenty of games because of muffed punts or fumbles or interceptions, we finally get something like that to bounce our way and we get mad about it.

15 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

2nd quarter 3rd and 5, our 6'7" TE runs a bubble screen, Terry is a blocker, Curtis runs a 3 yard out, and Dyami runs a fly that's double covered (great play call). 4th quarter 3rd and 2 we run a read option with an immobile QB (another great play call). 4th quarter 2nd and goal and we run a speed option with an immobile QB (this OC is on fire and giving us a great chance). Curtis Samuel drops a good throw cuz he jumped when he didn't have to and then dropped another first down on the same drive. 2.22 seconds to throw. Carson missed 4 or 5 checkdowns pathetically last night which was extremely frustrating, but play calling is a problem and people just not making plays is a problem.

"We won because of a muffed punt" did it happen or did it not happen? That's football! Stuff like that happens! We have lost plenty of games because of muffed punts or fumbles or interceptions, we finally get something like that to bounce our way and we get mad about it.

Finally, we were on the +side of turnovers.

It's the most important stat in football, imo. It usually decides wins, more often than not.

If we can continue to win the turnover battle?

We will continue to win games. Specially, if our red zone Defense continues to play the way they are.

We need Chase Young back! Damn...

12 hours ago, e16bball said:

Does Rivera not see how bad his team is and how unprepared they look?  I could not believe some of the penalties we had last night.  That is coaching.  And I don't understand this constant need to defend Wentz.  This press conference comes off like this games felt, like we lost.

Really painful to watch.  

By the way, Justin Fields is horrible.  That is a real reminder of how hard it is to find a qb.  I say, time for Howell.  This team needs a shot in the arm and I want to know what he has.  Plus I can't imagine what else will motivate me to watch games, it sure isn't Wentz.  Even Heinicke would be more fun for me.  

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Notes from the game

1) The Bears fans we were near were awesome. Had a lot of fun with them mostly commiserating in our problems. I appreciated them. 

2) Soldier Field was cool. I liked it. 

3) Fields stinks. It was bad live. We dodged a bullet. 

4) Wentz missed a lot of reads and had a lot of “too early” throws. 

The org has done fields no favors if we are being fair. Weapons suck. Line sucks. Drafted him into a situation where they knew they were going to get a new HC, and then stuck him with this lameo 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mar29020 said:

i really cant believe how bad our offense is. Def dont think wince is the guy

Yeah, it’s definitely more than just an OL issue. I really don’t understand it, but Wentz doesn’t make quick decisions. It’s inexcusable for a QB who’s in his 8the year to have that slow of a processing time & it’s even more frustrating bc talent wise he can make every throw, but he rarely does & Ballard was right, he doesn’t make enough of the layups which keep the chains moving.

14 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I don’t think you could have scripted a less inspiring win. I don’t begrudge anyone who is “a win is a win, I’m happy” type, but for me, I don’t feel better at all about this teams trajectory. Probably feel worse.

It’s one of those games where you know come seasons end we had wished we lost bc it’s hard to see us having another chance to win a game until the Texans game. Kind of reminds me of 2019 when we beat Miami, in the end it cost us Joe Burrow. In 2020, beating Philly in week 17 to win the division cost us Micah Parsons or a young QB to develop.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

The org has done fields no favors if we are being fair. Weapons suck. Line sucks. Drafted him into a situation where they knew they were going to get a new HC, and then stuck him with this lameo 

Absolutely. I don’t know that we’ll ever find out what Fields could have been if he hadn’t been drafted onto perhaps literally the worst offense I’ve ever seen.

Which gets to the point I was talking about with Lavar last night. I’m less and less confident with each passing day that there exist more than a handful of truly bulletproof Franchise Guys™️. The kind of guy that you could drop onto any roster, in any organization, and they would have made it work and raised the level of the whole program. 

Maybe Burrow or Lawrence proves to be that? I think Peyton Manning was. Perhaps some of these other greats would/could have been if they’d happened to go to a terrible franchise. But is Patrick Mahomes who he is today if he doesn’t have Andy Reid building his offense and Kelce/Hill and Alex Smith as a mentor and a year to learn how to play QB? What if you had to shove him out there in Week 5 as a rookie with a lame duck coach and not a soul who could get open? What about Josh Allen, is he a future MVP without guys like Daboll/Dorsey to rebuild his mechanics and a remarkably patient organization/fanbase? He was awful as a rookie, and still really bad through September of year two. Then something clicked, but a guy like Dwayne Haskins was already benched for good by that point. Josh Rosen was already traded by that point. And there’s a 0.0% chance Lamar Jackson would have become an MVP here (or with the Jets or Lions or Bears or other downtrodden franchise).

The thing I find scary about this is that it suggests that it doesn’t just come down to “drafting the right guy.” That it’s not a “silver bullet,” to steal a line from yesterday’s ESPN article. If it’s just a binary thing based on the player alone (is he a guy or is he a bust), we could eventually stumble into guessing right. Even just by sheer luck, I can envision a scenario where this team could draft a guy who has literally every single thing you need to be a superstar. But even if he has all the ingredients — what faith can we have that this franchise will actually be capable of carrying out the recipe and baking the cake? The Bears seem to be pretty well ruining a guy who by all appearances has every single tool in the box. That must be crushing for their fans, and I can easily see us doing the same.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Yep, definitely. I could’ve told you Fields was going to take year too develop- if he ever did - the minute he was drafted to the Bears & then w/in a month they cut their best OL, Charles Leno. Then, they proceeded to overdraft Tevin Jenkins by a round & outside of drafting Cole Kmet at TE, but outside of that they haven’t done anything to improve any part of this offense around Fields or the few years before Fields was drafted. 

Now, they took some great defensive backs in the 1st two rounds of the draft this year & they look like home runs but, it’s hard for me to criticize Fields too much when the only OL I can name on his roster is Whitehair who was put on IR last week & their #2 WR Dante Pettis was cut by Kyle Shanahan for being bust in San Fran.

I’m also not sure why they don’t run a zone read offense with Fields. Their offense could totally look like the 2012 Skins w/ RG3 & Morris is they ran a zone read offense w/ Fields, Montgomery & Herbert. Seems like a wasted opportunity there.

38 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I don’t think you could have scripted a less inspiring win. I don’t begrudge anyone who is “a win is a win, I’m happy” type, but for me, I don’t feel better at all about this teams trajectory. Probably feel worse.

Just like the win against Miami a couple years back. Will probably cost us in the long run more than it boosts morale now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Anyone have an early guess as to how much draft pick capital we lost by winning this one? 

As of right now I think we would drop from 3rd to 7th on Tankathon but that’s before the Sunday teams play.

1. Panthers

2. Raiders

3. Steelers 

4. Lions

5. Texans

6. Bears

Then we’re 7th. It seems like this is around where a lot of mock drafters at least think Will Levis will go.

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

As of right now I think we would drop from 3rd to 7th on Tankathon but that’s before the Sunday teams play.

1. Panthers

2. Raiders

3. Steelers 

4. Lions

5. Texans

6. Bears

Then we’re 7th. It seems like this is around where a lot of mock drafters at least think Will Levis will go.

All 6 of these teams could be in need of a Qb. We are screwed again.