Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

2 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

One frustrating thing I've noticed with Barry as well (go figure) is he subs a TON, and I get we want to give guys fresh snaps and all but damn why are we taking guys like Gary/LVN/Kenny/Preston off the field more times than not? Like on that goalline play herman showed we have Enagbare, Brooks, Slaton, and Hollins, why are we subbing so many not great at run defending depth guys on the goaline? Why isn't Kenny and Preston at minimum on the field here? Just makes no sense.

time for us to start tracking how much extra distance guys have to run to get off/on the field.  Are we even keeping them fresh if they are just running back and forth?

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I'm honestly Jonesing for a 4-3 defense again, man. I want more big uglies, not less.

You do realize that if forced into nickel situations(which in this day and age will be often), this will just look like the usual 4-2 nickel we run, yes? Do you want to insert some kinda S/LB hybrid in one LB spot so he can take on that third receiver in order to never go from the standard 4-3 unless there's a need for a Dime Back?

We already run a 40 Front, seeing as how we rarely use the Edge guys for anything other than rushing the passer. Were you maybe thinking of 4 IDL with the Edge guys and just let Walker or Campbell rove behind them alone?

Sometimes I think the likes of Reggie White smoothed out all your brains at a young age, like all hand-in-the-dirt DE were his weight. They're more like Aaron Kampman who, surprise surprise, weighed as much as Gary and Preston do now.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Trust me, I'm not in any disagreement that Barry needs to go.  We all know what Barry's gameplan is.  I'm going to sit back with a soft box and wait for a QB to make a mistake.  But when QBs don't make mistakes and opposing teams can run the ball effectively, the opposing team is going to win.

Insanity .. insanity .. insanity.  Doing the same thing over and over with the same results and not changing a thing.  MLF is as much to blame as Barry.  He's the head coach and either he tells Barry to get his crap together or Barry's gone and soon,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Precisely.  And I've got to give a TON of praise to Ben Johnson for consistently putting Jared Goff in those advantageous situations.

Yup and sure wish we had him as our offensive guru!  Our guy doesn't seem to have a clue on who we have as players and what they will be up against. 

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I'm honestly Jonesing for a 4-3 defense again, man. I want more big uglies, not less.

Don't currently have the personnel for it. Not opposed to the idea but not this year. Have the defensive linemen, but not the linebackers. Wilson and McDuffie suck! Campbell is injured. 

14 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Don't currently have the personnel for it. Not opposed to the idea but not this year. Have the defensive linemen, but not the linebackers. Wilson and McDuffie suck! Campbell is injured. 

McDuffie is exactly what you want as ILB #3 on your roster, same with Wilson as ILB #4. They don't suck. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

McDuffie is exactly what you want as ILB #3 on your roster, same with Wilson as ILB #4. They don't suck. 

The context was going to a 4-3 defense. NEITHER of them are NFL starters. BTW, not 'sucking,' sounds like a Joe Barry standard. McDuffie get to the ball carrier and gets dragged 5 yards. Wilson is on the team for special teams. He's awful as a defender. 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The context was going to a 4-3 defense. NEITHER of them are NFL starters. BTW, not 'sucking,' sounds like a Joe Barry standard. McDuffie get to the ball carrier and gets dragged 5 yards. Wilson is on the team for special teams. He's awful as a defender. 

Sounds like a depth standard. You know who else isn't a great defender? Every other teams 3/4th ILB. 

The 4-3 thing is another overreaction from everyone in the fan base. 

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Sounds like a depth standard. You know who else isn't a great defender? Every other teams 3/4th ILB. 

I was replying to it. Pointing out we didn't have the LB's to play 4-3. 

4 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

You do realize that if forced into nickel situations(which in this day and age will be often), this will just look like the usual 4-2 nickel we run, yes? Do you want to insert some kinda S/LB hybrid in one LB spot so he can take on that third receiver in order to never go from the standard 4-3 unless there's a need for a Dime Back?

We already run a 40 Front, seeing as how we rarely use the Edge guys for anything other than rushing the passer. Were you maybe thinking of 4 IDL with the Edge guys and just let Walker or Campbell rove behind them alone?

Sometimes I think the likes of Reggie White smoothed out all your brains at a young age, like all hand-in-the-dirt DE were his weight. They're more like Aaron Kampman who, surprise surprise, weighed as much as Gary and Preston do now.

I'm frankly sick of this.

We know what a 4-3 is. We still want it.

The reason the 3-4 became so popular was because there was all this talent falling through the cracks. Tweeners who were too big for linebacker and too little for DL were falling all the way to the second round. That advantage has ended. The advantage has shifted back to the 4-3 because now those tweeners are sought after.

The 2-4-5 or 4-2 or Kenny Clark and 10 defensive backs defenses we line up in are awful. The expectations of our down linemen are way too drastic.

I want LVN, Wyatt, Clark, Gary lined up on the line. I want more players right on the line. The disguise crap is dumb and doesn't confuse literally anybody.

I'd actually prefer taking two linebackers off the field and adding a fifth DL. LVN, Wyatt, Clark, Gary and Preston.

LVN, Wyatt, Clark, Gary, Preston
                     Walker
Alexander Douglas Stokes
Ford                          Savage

Our base you could remove/rotate Preston and LVN and put Campbell back in, but I don't expect Campbell back next year anyway.

When we say 4-3, we're not talking about anything other than cutting the disguise BS. We're talking about putting our DL on the actual defensive line. Line them up right up close and personal with the OL and expect them to win.

I'm too lazy to do it anymore, so in lieu of getting the photos, this is what our DL looked like in key running moments last night:

DL                                        DL
         OT  G   C   G   OT

That's hyperbole, but if people can't see the heightened expectations out of our DL with so much to cover and the expectations of our second level to fill these gaps... It's not a football IQ question, it's a common sense question.

The more daylight at the start of the play makes it harder to close all  that. It looks absolutely stupid what we're trotting out there.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's really not. The 3-4 naturally taxes the IDL considerably more. We need to stop acting like there's not a difference. Every defense making waves is adding more beef on the line. They're not doing anything unique otherwise. The names are meaningless. Their philosophies are not.

The 3-4 was created on the context of confusion. The confusion is gone.

11 minutes ago, MacReady said:

It's really not. The 3-4 naturally taxes the IDL considerably more. We need to stop acting like there's not a difference. Every defense making waves is adding more beef on the line. They're not doing anything unique otherwise. The names are meaningless. Their philosophies are not.

The 3-4 was created on the context of confusion. The confusion is gone.

Great NFL defenses are multiple. Base 3-4 has more weight in the front 7 than a base 4-3. Get the right personnel on the field and get your team playing gap disciplined football. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Great NFL defenses are multiple. Base 3-4 has more weight in the front 7 than a base 4-3. Get the right personnel on the field and get your team playing gap disciplined football. 

This is clearly something Barry seems incapable of doing. 

• Like 1