Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

We gave up 183 yards passing, 96 yards rushing on 29 carries for a 3.3-yard average. The defense turned the ball over once with a pick and we only allowed 17 points. All of those numbers point to us winning the game. 

Our offense stunk up the joint. This game, Joe Barry and the defense did their job. MFL and the offense did not. 

for sure.  They stopped the run for 3 quarters and even got the offense back the ball after forcing the FG attempt

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

We gave up 183 yards passing, 96 yards rushing on 29 carries for a 3.3-yard average. The defense turned the ball over once with a pick and we only allowed 17 points. All of those numbers point to us winning the game. 

Our offense stunk up the joint. This game, Joe Barry and the defense did their job. MFL and the offense did not. 

I didnt pay close attention to a lot of stuff during the off season, but one thing I did call for...or hope would take place going into this season was the defense stepping up....basically doing what Alexander stated last night: play well enough for the offense to get it's **** together.

That's where we're at....for myriad reasons.

Listen....I'll admit I'm biased. I want Love to succeed. I want the entire decision making that went into his selection and the coaching that's gotten him to this point....to pay off. That's not some "anti-AR" rhetoric. I dont think about him anymore....but yes, I want the both the player and the organization to succeed.

However, that's not gonna cause me to turn a blind eye when/if I see less than stellar play from Love - or being overly effusive when he does well. 

The cards have been dealt. It's time to play the hands out.

I think he's got the tools. Dont know it yet....but think there's something there...and I'm hopeful the offensive operation can smooth out enough to where we can get a good (unbiased) read on them.

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Hey i'm not saying we didn't have some good things. But how much of that was McD being a toolbag. I mean 1 attempt to DA in the first half and longer. I mean if MD goes for it on 4th like he should have we have no chance. Barry at times does just enough against terrible teams to make you think the D is OK. The raiders were 1-3 and we had the better record. We shoud have kept them to less than that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PACKRULE said:

Hey i'm not saying we didn't have some good things. But how much of that was McD being a toolbag. I mean 1 attempt to DA in the first half and longer. I mean if MD goes for it on 4th like he should have we have no chance. Barry at times does just enough against terrible teams to make you think the D is OK. The raiders were 1-3 and we had the better record. We shoud have kept them to less than that. 

We scored 13 points against a team that was giving up over 25 a game. You are pointing fingers in the wrong direction. Our offense turned the ball over 3 times we were minus 2 in turnover differential. You lose over 90% of the time when you lose the turnover battle by 2 or more. 

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Barry is the least of our worries right now since the offense is legit broken.  The defense gave the offense plenty of opportunities to win the game.  Heat should be squarely on LaFleur this week and next.

Agree! 

Just heard Rodgers confirm what I was thinking after Watson was horse collared. Running it into a loaded box on first and second down was dumb as ****. 

First down is where you throw it in the redzone. I'm not giving up on Jordan Love.

I started the Joe Barry thread. Last night was not a night to be critical of him. 

You want to be critical, start with the offensive line and the play caller. 

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

We scored 13 points against a team that was giving up over 25 a game. You are pointing fingers in the wrong direction. Our offense turned the ball over 3 times we were minus 2 in turnover differential. You lose over 90% of the time when you lose the turnover battle by 2 or more. 

Nope, finger from me is pointed in the right direction. Unlike many folks here my expectations for a bunch of first and second year guys on O was about where it should be. Anyone that expected more doesn't really understand the NFL. We have zero vets on that side of the ball. A QB who is in game 5 of his young career. Both AR and BF had more vets and a more experienced cast around them when they started I mean BF had Sterling and Brooks. AR had Jennings and a proven Driver. 

The O plays slow as it's not clicking for them, they are thinking it and can't just do it yet. The biggest problem is the Oline have regressed terribly at every possible position no one saw that coming. Young offensive units take time to learn and get past thinking and do it. 

The reason I point the fingers at the D is that well they are the lion's share of money. Kenny, Jarie, Smith, Gary among others carrier some big cash and what is the return. Sure they played better yesterday to a degree but when it mattered as usual we could not get a stop. The stop only came with McD chickened out and kicked instead of going for it on 4th which against Barry's unit would have been like stealing candy from a baby. 

Tired of the same old on that side of the ball. Zone, Zone, soft zone, more zone and hey light box zone on run downs, against run formations 3 TE set yesterday and we played 2DL and 2 OLB. Go figure. Same old Same. 

2 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Nope, finger from me is pointed in the right direction. Unlike many folks here my expectations for a bunch of first and second year guys on O was about where it should be. Anyone that expected more doesn't really understand the NFL. We have zero vets on that side of the ball. A QB who is in game 5 of his young career. Both AR and BF had more vets and a more experienced cast around them when they started I mean BF had Sterling and Brooks. AR had Jennings and a proven Driver. 

The O plays slow as it's not clicking for them, they are thinking it and can't just do it yet. The biggest problem is the Oline have regressed terribly at every possible position no one saw that coming. Young offensive units take time to learn and get past thinking and do it. 

The reason I point the fingers at the D is that well they are the lion's share of money. Kenny, Jarie, Smith, Gary among others carrier some big cash and what is the return. Sure they played better yesterday to a degree but when it mattered as usual we could not get a stop. The stop only came with McD chickened out and kicked instead of going for it on 4th which against Barry's unit would have been like stealing candy from a baby. 

Tired of the same old on that side of the ball. Zone, Zone, soft zone, more zone and hey light box zone on run downs, against run formations 3 TE set yesterday and we played 2DL and 2 OLB. Go figure. Same old Same. 

Your expectations are unreasonable bordering on delusional IMO. 

22 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Barry is the least of our worries right now since the offense is legit broken.  The defense gave the offense plenty of opportunities to win the game.  Heat should be squarely on LaFleur this week and next.

So then, what were your expectations for this teenage offense this year? I'd love to know what you thought they might attain this season! 

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Your expectations are unreasonable bordering on delusional IMO. 

So like usual it's got to go to that delusional and can't just respond with some respect. HA, I could and will return the favor. Your expectations of a better offensive unit are bordering on needing a straight jacket:). If you need more assistance with things let me know. 

Most of the best QB's starting out with very raw units were like this. Aikman, Manning among others. Of the starting O last night how many are on second contracts? 

Edited by PACKRULE

4 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

So then, what were your expectations for this teenage offense this year? I'd love to know what you thought they might attain this season! 

I had the Packers at 9-8, or 8-9 this year.  I thought there would be growing pains ... too much youth, but we'd see a pretty good unit in the second half of the season.

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I had the Packers at 9-8, or 8-9 this year.  I thought there would be growing pains ... too much youth, but we'd see a pretty good unit in the second half of the season.

Ok that's fair, i figured below .500. I think even with the talent AR had early they were what 6-10. This takes time and the kid will grow. Need to get a bit healthier and hopefully get a dam ground game going. With that said only 1 guy on offense is on his second contract from last night anyway. Jenkins the rest are all first.......I believe and it's my opinion we'll be lucky to win 6-7 games. What i like though is that they aren't giving up, they are fighting tooth and nail. Qualify of loss has been good this year which in the NFL does count for those that have been around long enough to remember Waldo's stats and theories. 

Everyone saying we did a good job on defense last night is right. We did a good job if that’s a good offense.

It’s not. They’ve been struggling worse than us. They scored 17, 10, 18, 17 and 17 points. We gave up more than they’ve averaged on the year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Everyone saying we did a good job on defense last night is right. We did a good job if that’s a good offense.

It’s not. They’ve been struggling worse than us. They scored 17, 10, 18, 17 and 17 points. We gave up more than they’ve averaged on the year.

If you watched the game it was pretty clear the defense gave the offense plenty of opportunities to win the game.  It wasn't a great defensive performance, but most offenses when given that performance would have delivered a win.  It was an embarrassing night on offense.