Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

Just now, Leader said:

But a PR pointed out, our D has had multiple occasions so far this year where they needed a 4th Qtr stop...and the failed each time....like yesterday.

Those results - to me - is a DC & scheme thats predictable and easy to attack. As another poster commented, he's not going anywhere on this throw away year.....so we might as well relax and enjoy the inevitable.

I'm not a Barry fan, but that defense has held the score down pretty well. If the offense was doing anything we would have a winning record. I think 4 times the D held the opponent to 20 or less points, and that's with the offense unable to generate any decent time of possession. Could Barry do better? Yes. But the offense is a much bigger problem right now. 

That problem runs through the front office. Gute passed on Broderick Jones when he knew LT was problematic. He took Josh Myers over Creed H. The O-line is a shambles. MLF is clueless what to do about it.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

And he was more or less wrong.  We gave up 19 points.  We missed an easy FG and we went for it on a 4'th down when we could have had 3 points.

When you hold someone under 20, you gotta win the game.  Especially when playing without Campbell and Jaire for the entire game.  

And I'm talking only about this game.  We didn't lose this past game because of our defense.  We lost it because our offense was pathetic with a capital P.

Look.  I despise Barry.  I'm just being fair to yesterday's game.  It's easy to pile on Barry because he is just that bad and has pretty much always been that bad.  But the defense isn't the reason we lost yesterday.

True - the offense has become highly dysfunctional (for myriad reasons) - but going back to one of the few things I said when projecting for this season: the defense needs to take the lead (cause I sensed our offense was going to struggle).

Point totals are fine (but lets not pretend we held any top offenses down) - but we NEED to get stops when the game's on the line. That (IMO) involves some sort of change of pace. Doing *something* differently. Our failure to close out games defensively has become a pattern.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I'm not a Barry fan, but that defense has held the score down pretty well. If the offense was doing anything we would have a winning record. I think 4 times the D held the opponent to 20 or less points, and that's with the offense unable to generate any decent time of possession. Could Barry do better? Yes. But the offense is a much bigger problem right now. 

That problem runs through the front office. Gute passed on Broderick Jones when he knew LT was problematic. He took Josh Myers over Creed H. The O-line is a shambles. MLF is clueless what to do about it.

As I just commented.....the low point totals our defense has given up was to under performing offenses. 
We play a top team....I suspect they'll light us up - as combination of our offense being putrid and unable to sustain anything - which will overtax the D.

I'm very interested in what happens with Savage's injury. I seem to recall we were thin there when the season began. Dont think it's gonna get any better on the back end.

Oh well. It is what it is this year.

I'd just like to see some consistency & production from Love. That's the "progress" I want to see this year.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Prior to this season, I'd have said absolutely not to canning MLF.  I'm still not there yet, but it is trending in that direction.

We need to see a whole lot of improvement in order for me to be comfortable keeping him around.  

Ben Johnson has a pretty good resume. MLF has 11 more games to turn this around. He has to create game plans his talent can make work. I think back to Love's game against KC last year. There were no adjustments. KC blitzed him off the field. That inability to plan for his talent worries me. This isn't a chess game where all the same pieces have all the same strength. MLF doesn't seem to get that. 

GB has a history of keeping bad coaches way too long. I've suffered through the Starr years, the Gregg years, the Infante years, etc. Believe me, time doesn't make them any better. If MLF can show he can coach to his talent over the next 11 games, keep him, but so far he hasn't been able to do that. If that continues, on to Ben Johnson.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Ben Johnson has a pretty good resume. MLF has 11 more games to turn this around. He has to create game plans his talent can make work. I think back to Love's game against KC last year. There were no adjustments. KC blitzed him off the field. That inability to plan for his talent worries me. This isn't a chess game where all the same pieces have all the same strength. MLF doesn't seem to get that. 

GB has a history of keeping bad coaches way too long. I've suffered through the Starr years, the Gregg years, the Infante years, etc. Believe me, time doesn't make them any better. If MLF can show he can coach to his talent over the next 11 games, keep him, but so far he hasn't been able to do that. If that continues, on to Ben Johnson.

The kids alone will provide MLF with as automatic an out card as available. They're not gonna get rid of him after this season. Dont see it happening.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

As I just commented.....the low point totals our defense has given up was to under performing offenses. 
We play a top team....I suspect they'll light us up - as combination of our offense being putrid and unable to sustain anything - which will overtax the D.

I'm very interested in what happens with Savage's injury. I seem to recall we were thin there when the season began. Dont think it's gonna get any better on the back end.

Oh well. It is what it is this year.

I'd just like to see some consistency & production from Love. That's the "progress" I want to see this year.

But the point is the defense played well enough to win those games, it was the offense that caused the losses. Yeah, the D is going to get smoked by some good offenses this year, but do you think our offense can win a shoot out? LOL! This offense is laughable. It's bad enough Gute let the O-line slide and went with a kiddie corps of WRs, then put a QB with a history of accuracy problems out there, but there is an underlying coaching failure that is more disturbing. I don't see MLF adjusting his game planning to make up for these deficiencies. It's glaringly obvious at the beginning of games when they're running their scripted plays. And it doesn't get much better later in the games. I remember watching one of the rookie TEs trying to block Crosby. Crosby crushed the play. I'm like, really, MLF thought that rookie TE could block Crosby? WTF! 

Give me something I can do and I will do it well. Give me something I can't do and I will get frustrated and fail. That's when coaches lose their team. 

31 minutes ago, Leader said:

True - the offense has become highly dysfunctional (for myriad reasons) - but going back to one of the few things I said when projecting for this season: the defense needs to take the lead (cause I sensed our offense was going to struggle).

Point totals are fine (but lets not pretend we held any top offenses down) - but we NEED to get stops when the game's on the line. That (IMO) involves some sort of change of pace. Doing *something* differently. Our failure to close out games defensively has become a pattern.

I don't disagree with you at all.  Our defense has been good enough to where we should win more games.  But....I dare say, they have gotten it done in a very un-awe-inspiring way.  Course, it hurts when you don't have Campbell and Jaire out there.  You can only cover up so many warts when you play defense this way.

Gun to your head.....  Tell me what was the worst thing in yesterday's game.

Was it....

The o-line?

The head coach?

Wr's not getting open?

The quarterback?

The defense?

To me, I feel like the worst thing is the offensive line.

Wouldn't fight anyone who said head coach, either, that is my #2.

Then I'd say Wr's.

Then I'd say defense.

Then I'd say quarterback.

Also feel like that ranking holds true for a lot of our games.  Fixing the o-line should be the priority.  Then the low hanging fruit to be picked is firing Barry.

• Like 1

GB is the 21st team in DVOA coming into the denver game.

The point totals are low because teams run the hell out of the ball against us and there are fewer drives faced.

They are 16th in offense.

They are 26th in special teams.

This is a Brett Hundley-esque packers team and there are really no redeeming qualities.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Gun to your head.....  Tell me what was the worst thing in yesterday's game.

Was it....

The o-line?

The head coach?

Wr's not getting open?

The quarterback?

The defense?

To me, I feel like the worst thing is the offensive line.

Wouldn't fight anyone who said head coach, either, that is my #2.

Then I'd say Wr's.

Then I'd say defense.

Then I'd say quarterback.

Also feel like that ranking holds true for a lot of our games.  Fixing the o-line should be the priority.  Then the low hanging fruit to be picked is firing Barry.

I think you nailed it.

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

While true, again it ignores situational football. Three times our offense, as pathetic as it is, scored to take a small lead in the 4th quarter, and without any resistance at all, our defense gave up the lead on the next drive (or two straight drives in the ATL game). They did it again against the Saints with a backup QB but were saved by a missed FG. Finally, those four games were against ATL, NO, LV and DEN. I haven't looked at the latest stats, but I'd guess that's 4 of the top 10 worst offenses in football. 

The best offense we've played all season is Detroit (whose offense isn't even great) and they scored at will on us. This defense is the same defense we've always known, don't be fooled.