State of the Steelers

warfelg

Outsider analysis 

- Kenny Pickett is a franchise QB

- Najee Harris, George Pickens, Diontae Johnson underrated threesome. Allen Robinson needs to stay healthy but his catching radius Will help Pickett development but questionable WR depth imo

- Not really sold on Broderick Jones but OL should hold

- Joey Porter Jr was a great get. Should earn CB2 spot opposite Patrick Peterson by mid season

- TJ Watt needs a healthy year 17 games started.. Legit 20 sack threat opposite Highsmith 

- Tough division as Baltimore got better but I see a potential 10-11 Win team and WC contender 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

- TJ Watt needs a healthy year 17 games started.. Legit 20 sack threat opposite Highsmith 

if TJ stays healthy, it changes everything. Probably DPOY candidate and helps Alex too. Been a while since a team had 2 players get 20+ sacks in a season but if TJ stays healthy and with Alex getting better (plus improved CB's and ILB's) it could happen. 

4 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

- Tough division as Baltimore got better but I see a potential 10-11 Win team and WC contender 

it might be the toughest in the NFL.  They could have 3 teams go to the playoffs and losing to bad teams could be the difference between playing in the playoffs or watching them at home 

If this is the scheduled, there are A LOT of wins on it. 

- 49ers are one of the toughest teams we will play…but we get them week 1 with QB uncertainty 

- Rams the week before the trade deadline. If they are butt, expect trades. 

- Browns AND Ravens at hope in the first 5 weeks. 

I don’t know man. That’s a nice schedule. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, August4th said:

finally have a week 1 home game..its been yrs

don't like the early bye

3 straight home games in the middle is nice. gotta take advantage of that with 3 of the last 4 being on the road

2 thursday games.

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Both at home though? Is that right? Also both coming off home games? 

If that’s true, it’s the absolute best case scenario. 

Yes with away games right after. 

First one is home vs Jax, home vs Tenn, @ GB 

Next one is home vs Ari, Home vs NE, @ Indy 

52 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

We will see how ready Jones looks in preseason but might not be a bad idea to start the more experienced DMJ for the first 3 weeks.

Broderick Vs Nick Bosa week 1… we will see what he is made of.

do you risk  confidence being lost if there is a rough start?  DMJ held his own vs 2 of those , so why not wait? It's about winning and remember, keeping KP healthy.  Jones will have plenty of time to earn his keep and prove his draft stock. 

29 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Garrett will take him to the cleaners.  Jones is athletic but not technical.  He needs to learn technique as he has been getting by on being better athletically than his opponents.

so don't start him day? Instead, make him earn the start if he can prove it in practices vs Alex, TJ , JJ , Leal, Herbig etc

Make sure he is better than Moore or Chuks before throwing him to the wolves.

Cam might be a better test but does not have the speed of Garrett.  TJ and the others do not have the length.

Edited by jebrick

13 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

We will see how ready Jones looks in preseason but might not be a bad idea to start the more experienced DMJ for the first 3 weeks.

Broderick Vs Nick Bosa week 1… we will see what he is made of.

I'm very interested to see how they treat Broderick and the LT competition this off-season. Maybe it will be easier because he is 21 and doesn't have a ton of exposure, but James Daniel is a pretty good player and his learning curve with our OL coach's teaching was pretty steep. 

I don't like the way Tomlin and staff handled the QB "competition" last off-season and I think you can make a pretty good argument that it directly lead to missing playoffs (we could have won 1-2 more games if Kenny was just THE guy the whole time). 

I don't want to see Broderick working on the right as the swing if he is ultimately the LT in waiting and I don't want to see Moore purely taking snaps at LT as a placeholder who will need to be the swing and hasn't played the right side of the line since he was a freshman. 

• Like 1