State of the Steelers

warfelg

4 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I don’t really understand this one. I get that Tomlin loves Chase Young but where does he fit. Unless the plan on extended Young over Highsmith, but even then where are you playing him this year?

prove it trade and quality depth. If Young breaks out, then good for him but probably would sign elsewhere if we keep Highsmith and TJ is healthy.   I doubt Young would accept a rotational role at this stage of his career. We have Golden and that also makes this trade even less logical.  

what would we have to give up for a rtoation player, possibly Edge4, not Edge3 of all things. In one year, we go from no depth at Edge to maybe adding a top draft pick as Edge4?

Khan+Weidl > colbert

Edited by 3rivers

I’m guessing that they would ask him to add 10 lbs and potentially be a Cam replacement. He’s around 270 and Cams around 285. He’s not a 3-4 OLB and I don’t ever remember him in coverage at tOSU. If he can kick the injury bug and add some weight he could be a great fit as a penetrating DE, especially with the way the league is a pass first league now. Biggest issues are from the injuries and what his next contract may look like, but I’ve always loved his game and he played bigger than his weight. 

• Like 3

On 6/8/2023 at 5:59 PM, jebrick said:

And yet all of the players kept saying that they were cutting the playbook way down.

Part of it might be a new Oline plus a new QB plus newish WR with a new scheme.  Again, I will judge this year tougher than last year.

This part right here. But it gets said that’s giving Canada the benefit of the doubt. 

Personally I wouldn’t have fired Fitchner (looking back) before Bens last year unless Ben asked for it. Then you can roll into new QB/OC as a pair. 

But with how much changed offensively last year then going to a rookie QB 1/3 into the season it would have been tough sledding no matter who the OC was. 

And I might expand off of it later when I’m at a computer but constantly hearing about all these offensive geniuses is tiring. Hell Kyle Shanahans offense wasn’t seen as innovative until he realized how versatile Deebo Samuels is. But if you watch the tracer of player movement past snap it’s the same concepts. Just guys are lined up in spots you don’t expect. And we started to see some of that later in the season. 

41 minutes ago, warfelg said:

This part right here. But it gets said that’s giving Canada the benefit of the doubt. 

Personally I wouldn’t have fired Fitchner (looking back) before Bens last year unless Ben asked for it. Then you can roll into new QB/OC as a pair. 

But with how much changed offensively last year then going to a rookie QB 1/3 into the season it would have been tough sledding no matter who the OC was. 

And I might expand off of it later when I’m at a computer but constantly hearing about all these offensive geniuses is tiring. Hell Kyle Shanahans offense wasn’t seen as innovative until he realized how versatile Deebo Samuels is. But if you watch the tracer of player movement past snap it’s the same concepts. Just guys are lined up in spots you don’t expect. And we started to see some of that later in the season. 

I want to see the pre-snap motion that people had said Canada was bringing.  That is what I see in KC and SF to throw off a defense and make them think or react.

I do not think we saw it with Ben because he wanted to read the defense then make up his mind.  SF is reading the defense due to the motion but the play design can handle man and zone.  Also, much shorter passes in the SF offense.  Very west coast.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I want to see the pre-snap motion that people had said Canada was bringing.  That is what I see in KC and SF to throw off a defense and make them think or react.

I do not think we saw it with Ben because he wanted to read the defense then make up his mind.  SF is reading the defense due to the motion but the play design can handle man and zone.  Also, much shorter passes in the SF offense.  Very west coast.

I should clarify then what I mean is SF will do something like line up in 11 formation, except CMC is in the X spot, Aiyuk is in the Y, Kittle is in the slot, and Deebo is in the backfield with TE2 in line. So that confuses defenses. Does the slot take Kittle? Does the LB go out with CMC or stay in? Then when Deebo goes into motion defenses are really confused. 

But the moment the motion happens it’s the same flex out into levels or slants concepts everyone else runs. Nothing special. But the ability for players to do different things really stresses defenses. 

13 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I think this is smart. Get your best 11 on the field. 

I am just worried that they are using a guy that was NEVER used this way before. Pat Pete played in the slot to follow dudes in coverage. Now he is going to have full defensive assignments from there. 

I am not predicting or saying it will be bad, it's just unknown until we actually see it. Could be great, could be crap. 

It's the single misstep I think this GM team had this year in what ended up being a tremendous off-season. IMO, they wanted Sutton back but got caught off-guard when he was offered 2 years of guarantees from someone else. Signing Peterson to be that flexible seems odd. Also signing a dude on day three of the draft makes it seem like you missed someone somewhere. 

We will see what happens with the slot, but just seems like it's the one place they didn't have an answer for this year. And, well...that's going to happen. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I am just worried that they are using a guy that was NEVER used this way before. Pat Pete played in the slot to follow dudes in coverage. Now he is going to have full defensive assignments from there. 

I am not predicting or saying it will be bad, it's just unknown until we actually see it. Could be great, could be crap. 

It's the single misstep I think this GM team had this year in what ended up being a tremendous off-season. IMO, they wanted Sutton back but got caught off-guard when he was offered 2 years of guarantees from someone else. Signing Peterson to be that flexible seems odd. Also signing a dude on day three of the draft makes it seem like you missed someone somewhere. 

We will see what happens with the slot, but just seems like it's the one place they didn't have an answer for this year. And, well...that's going to happen. 

I agree with this thought process.

Oh what I’d give to have been a fly on the wall as Khan received offers for 32 overall.

I was a big fan of Branch to put in the slot…I know Porters potential is sky high but I’m really curious if we’ll ever know the offers they got for 32.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AFF said:

I agree with this thought process.

Oh what I’d give to have been a fly on the wall as Khan received offers for 32 overall.

I was a big fan of Branch to put in the slot…I know Porters potential is sky high but I’m really curious if we’ll ever know the offers they got for 32.

Reports were a mid-4th.