State of the Steelers

warfelg

4 minutes ago, AFF said:

Yes I don’t think they’re going to trade up and draft a guy.

I think theyll build up the OL some more, add another weapon or 2 depending on if they trade DJ and give Him another go with a new OC.

Baker has had a decent season but he maxes out as an averageish QB.

The most I can see them doing is trading for Fields.

And this is what they should do (and should have been doing) anyways.

I saw someone say this but look at our last 5 drafts for RD 1&2 from Colbert:

2018 Edmunds and Washington

2019 Bush

2020 Claypool

2021 Harris and Freiermuth

2022 Pickett and Pickens

That should be your future of the team and 4/8 aren't here anymore, 2/8 didn't have a 5th year option picked up, and 1/8 got traded before the end of his rookie deal. 7 skill position players and 1 skill-adjacent player.

The best joke I saw was "That's an awesome 7v7 flag football team".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

And this is what they should do (and should have been doing) anyways.

I saw someone say this but look at our last 5 drafts for RD 1&2 from Colbert:

2018 Edmunds and Washington

2019 Bush

2020 Claypool

2021 Harris and Freiermuth

2022 Pickett and Pickens

That should be your future of the team and 4/8 aren't here anymore, 2/8 didn't have a 5th year option picked up, and 1/8 got traded before the end of his rookie deal. 7 skill position players and 1 skill-adjacent player.

The best joke I saw was "That's an awesome 7v7 flag football team".

plus all the mid-rd picks spent on skill guys who gave you production you could of gotten from undrafted free agents

Snell, Macfarland, coates, archer and maybe Austin. All picked in rds 3-4. spent a 3rd on Mason

1 minute ago, August4th said:

plus all the mid-rd picks spent on skill guys who gave you production you could of gotten from undrafted free agents

Snell, Macfarland, coates, archer and maybe Austin. All picked in rds 3-4. spent a 3rd on Mason

I mean, you don't even need to go that far down to make the point.  If you are failing to build a team with the highest success picks, what's the hope for the later ones?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AFF said:

The most I can see them doing is trading for Fields.

I just don’t see that happening, would be a crazy splash to make for an organization who will undoubtedly have at least a couple higher ups who still think Kenny can be the guy if surrounded by the right pieces and OC. 

I would definitely pull the trigger on a deal for Fields though. Who knows, maybe if Rooney actually puts Tomlin on the hot seat with a “win a playoff game or you’re out” ultimatum, then maybe. But I just don’t see it. Chicago should probably keep him anyways.

38 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I just don’t see that happening, would be a crazy splash to make for an organization who will undoubtedly have at least a couple higher ups who still think Kenny can be the guy if surrounded by the right pieces and OC. 

I would definitely pull the trigger on a deal for Fields though. Who knows, maybe if Rooney actually puts Tomlin on the hot seat with a “win a playoff game or you’re out” ultimatum, then maybe. But I just don’t see it. Chicago should probably keep him anyways.

Yea I do t think it’s likely…I just think it’s the max level of what they would do at QB for next season for interms of change.

1 hour ago, AFF said:

Yea I do t think it’s likely…I just think it’s the max level of what they would do at QB for next season for interms of change.

If Chicago does trade him the most likely destination is Atlanta. The team who wanted nothing to do with trading for Lamar Jackson but was first in line to give 3 1st for Watson.

If I’m Chicago I keep him, trade back from 1 to 3 and give him Marvin Harrison Jr and pick up another FRP. Then load up on more O-Line and defense. They are in a great position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

I would definitely pull the trigger on a deal for Fields though

Fields has no end game. Which is to say, there is no plan from play to play. In too many situations, you're pigeon holed into a heave and a prayer, instead of a more likely completion. 3rd & 7 steam down the sideline. That's a low percentage throw (unless it's Pickens back shoulder on 2nd down). While he can make some nice runs and bootlegs, there is no steady progression down the field, or know-how with the rush in his face to bite the bullet and take what they give him.

He has an arm not conducive to a progressive (run "it") style, and too often he is used in this pocket passer role, which you have to be able to do both, if you're running this mobile qb game, or you become too easy to defend. We will stack 8 in the box and make you beat us with your languid arm, trying to chunk, when you're not accurate to begin with. While he's good on the run, he doesn't have a feel for the pocket or the game. That makes you a predictable offense. To be able to do both makes you dynamic, which he is in bursts. There's just not a sustainable feel for the offense as it's moving down the field, and there's some chunks, just too often, "how are we going to get this next first down". To not get three at the end of half is maddening. You're slowly chipping away with the same play, and that's okay, but to then with 8 seconds left and a timeout and get nothing is Mike T situational football. **** call [QB/HB] draw.

Fields and Hurts are somewhat similar with Hurts having a more structurally sound arm. I do not have confidence in him [either] throwing the ball 15-20 yards down the field on time in a tight window. There's probably only a dozen guys in the league that can do this.

Fields is a good backup QB, somewhat on par with a Trubisky, in that he can make some plays with his legs, but it'll just never lead to sustainable production, because he just doesn't get it.

• Like 1

Running a PFN draft with current draft order:

1-16: Traded to Minny for 20 and 51

1-20: Cooper DeJean CB Iowa

2-47: Jordan Morgan OT Arizona

2-51: T'Vondre Sweat NT Texas

3-78: Malachi Corley WR Western Kentucky (paging @armsteeld and @JustPlainNasty - you got to see this tape)

4-109: Traded with 206 to Buffalo for 113 and 177

4-113: Deontae Lawson LB Alabama

4-117: Khyree Jackson CB Oregon

6-175: Zak Zinter OG Michigan 

6-177: Brenden Rice WR USC

14 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Running a PFN draft with current draft order:

1-16: Traded to Minny for 20 and 51

1-20: Cooper DeJean CB Iowa

2-47: Jordan Morgan OT Arizona

2-51: T'Vondre Sweat NT Texas

3-78: Malachi Corley WR Western Kentucky (paging @armsteeld and @JustPlainNasty - you got to see this tape)

4-109: Traded with 206 to Buffalo for 113 and 177

4-113: Deontae Lawson LB Alabama

4-117: Khyree Jackson CB Oregon

6-175: Zak Zinter OG Michigan 

6-177: Brenden Rice WR USC

Corley is the one guy I found a while ago. Funny.. Was gonna mention him as well. I didnt make notes on him I dont believe, maybe on paper but not on comp. Hes not big but as I recall has the AB like traits of in and out of breaks/transitions and catches /competes for everything. Just off the top of my head...as I last watched a month or two ago, but whenever I do my mocks hes a 3rd-5th round consideration. 

The other lesser known i liked was the Toledo CB.

Edited by JustPlainNasty

13 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Corley is the one guy I found a while ago. Funny.. Was gonna mention him as well. I didnt make notes on him I dont believe, maybe on paper but not on comp. Hes not big but as I recall has the AB like traits of in and out of breaks/transitions and catches /competes for everything. Just off the top of my head...as I last watched a month or two ago, but whenever I do my mocks hes a 3rd-5th round consideration. 

The other lesser known i liked was the Toledo CB.

I was looking at a small school NT and came across him and man. He looks like Deebo Samuel out there. 

Yeah...I honestly dont get this love for Fields.

Is he overall better than what we have now?  Sure, but thats saying very little.

I don't believe he is a better pure passer than Kenny.   Not that he is necessarily worse, but I certainly dont believe he can beat teams with his arm.   

Fields is a gimmick QB, and they never work out.    He is merely a QB that keeps us hovering around the middle.....at best.   The offense would likely operate under two extremes....the exciting games where we get 300 rush yards vs teams that dont know how to defend against mobile QBs OR the endlessly frustrating games that force him to win with his arm, and in most cases, he absolutely cannot do that.

Again....not opposed to giving up a 4th or so....but the suggestions of giving up 2nd rd value for him are absolutely ridiculous IMO.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 43M said:

Yeah...I honestly dont get this love for Fields.

Is he overall better than what we have now?  Sure, but thats saying very little.

I don't believe he is a better pure passer than Kenny.   Not that he is necessarily worse, but I certainly dont believe he can beat teams with his arm.   

Fields is a gimmick QB, and they never work out.    He is merely a QB that keeps us hovering around the middle.....at best.   The offense would likely operate under two extremes....the exciting games where we get 300 rush yards vs teams that dont know how to defend against mobile QBs OR the endlessly frustrating games that force him to win with his arm, and in most cases, he absolutely cannot do that.

Again....not opposed to giving up a 4th or so....but the suggestions of giving up 2nd rd value for him are absolutely ridiculous IMO.

I agree….but at least we would have several fun games where our offense looks exciting though.

This conversation isn’t even worth having. We will never trade for Fields. I doubt Chicago even ends up trading him….BUT he really has shown some serious flashes this year. I think he can put it together and be a top 10 QB with the right talent and coaching around him (not here).

• Like 2