State of the Steelers

warfelg

37 minutes ago, August4th said:

I'm done then.

Unless they clean house of coaches and players, I won't be able to stomach more of the tomlin regime as I know it.   

Hoping this is a bluff, but I doubt it. This is the steeler way in the 2020's by the looks of it.  

To be fair, that’s absolutely the right move. There’s no in between - move on or extend him. The likely two choices of moving on from Tomlin are that he retires/goes to TV or is traded. You can still have both of those with an extension. 

There’s no reason for him, the team, or the future to have him as a lame duck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, August4th said:

They better hope they get much better coaches around him to fill in his many....MANY gaps, or absolutely nothing is going to change.

I have a strong feeling the 20s will be much like the 80s, at best.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

They better hope they get much better coaches around him to fill in his many....MANY gaps, or absolutely nothing is going to change.

I have a strong feeling the 20s will be much like the 80s, at best.

80's teams were rugged though, could run the ball and played hard. Unless tomlin makes enough changes, I agree this will be more .529 steelers fame that we are used to.   Winning now and some players playing better won't help some things either. 

I am still going to laugh if they keep mitch and let Mason walk. Other players too, need to be gone and just start over. I doubt it happens, the SB here is .529  and thats good enough. 

bengals defence is depleted, see how this team does next week

10 hours ago, warfelg said:

I’ve got a family member that works in the organization with decent access. 

In all seriousness, is there anything your source can provide that isn’t Tomlin propaganda? Like if your source has known Mike Tomlin’s specific draft preferences over the last several years is there anything else you’d be willing to share? Or is your source Mike Tomlin? Or….are you Mike Tomlin?

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

In all seriousness, is there anything your source can provide that isn’t Tomlin propaganda? Like if your source has known Mike Tomlin’s specific draft preferences over the last several years is there anything else you’d be willing to share? Or is your source Mike Tomlin? Or….are you Mike Tomlin?

Yeah.   I mean, Ive heard people make that claim before but it really doesnt mean much.    There are Pittsburgh media members who presumably have "access" to the team that are wrong all the time, so I cant put much stock into some random poster on an internet message forum say they have "connections".    Not to say there arent some that do, but it often seems like claims like that are used to make someones opinions SEEM more valid than others.

I dont pretend I have any idea about the inner workings of the Steeler organization or Mike Tomlin beyond what I see and what Ive seen reported and posted.     Im sure there are people here with far more insight into those that I do.   What I do know to be true is that Tomlin is the head coach of this organization and that after 15 years, I find it extremely hard to believe that he doesnt have a fair amount of control over how this team operates,  Not to say Art II doesnt stick his nose in where he shouldnt, but I am pretty tired of constantly hearing "Tomlin isnt responsible for this or that and thus shouldnt be blamed", but somehow deserves credit for the success.

If Tomlin is just a puppet, he shouldnt be too hard to replace.   If he isnt a puppet, then he has a big hand in the product we see on the field week after week, year after year.   

Can't have it both ways.

I am aware its not quite that black and white and there are shades of grey, but...damn.   Just sick of seeing Tomlin get heaps of praise after games like this, and then when we lose to two of the worst teams in the league..."Well, its not really his fault".  Its the players/other coaches/owner/etc..."

• Like 1

if tomlin was going to make a QB change just before KP got hurt, that was mitch. Now that mitfch is no longer an option, is this the official QB change now or will tomlin change his mind and go back to  KP next week or the week after?

It's clear that Mason should be the starter, but it was the bengals defence. See what he does next week

7 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

In all seriousness. There’s not gonna be anything I can say because people are gonna believe what they want to anyways. And I don’t really know anything big because that can get them fired. The biggest thing I know is that the workings inside the building is not close to what anyone outside of it assumes it is. The last few years of Bens career, Art wanted everything possible to extend it is the biggest nugget I’ve heard. 

Like, just being honest, what the hell can I say that you won’t take as Tomlin propaganda? 

7 hours ago, 43M said:

What I do know to be true is that Tomlin is the head coach of this organization and that after 15 years, I find it extremely hard to believe that he doesnt have a fair amount of control over how this team operates,  Not to say Art II doesnt stick his nose in where he shouldnt, but I am pretty tired of constantly hearing "Tomlin isnt responsible for this or that and thus shouldnt be blamed", but somehow deserves credit for the success.

If Tomlin is just a puppet, he shouldnt be too hard to replace.   If he isnt a puppet, then he has a big hand in the product we see on the field week after week, year after year.   

Can't have it both ways.

Because the truth is somewhere in the middle. He has a fair amount of control, and has earned it. But there are some things he doesn’t have the unilateral control that some like to pretend he does. 

Take my post that started this: the last few years of Bens career was Art directing to extend it. That’s an owners right to do. Just like they year he said get back to Steelers football being the year we bring in Canada (ground based game) and draft Najee (big RB). 

Tomlin has a hand in what goes on no doubt. But he still has a boss to answer to - so if people are of the belief that Tomlin runs it all unchecked, then that makes Art a spineless useless figurehead. The fact is, he does stick his nose where it doesn’t belong. 

In fact, I’ve never said Tomlin doesn’t deserve blame. Not once. I’ve said blame him where it’s right. But we’ve had times where people have absolved coordinators because Tomlin is too involved, then also blames him for not being involved enough. People that couldn’t put a single bad draft pick on Colbert because Tomlin is too involved and Colbert had good picks. 

7 hours ago, 43M said:

I am aware its not quite that black and white and there are shades of grey, but...damn.   Just sick of seeing Tomlin get heaps of praise after games like this, and then when we lose to two of the worst teams in the league...

Who’s praised him after this game? I haven’t said anything. I don’t see anyone on here saying anything about it right now.

Frankly, it seems like you want to do what you are saying above too. Blame him when it’s bad, and when it’s good it wasn’t him. 

7 hours ago, 43M said:

"Well, its not really his fault".  Its the players/other coaches/owner/etc..."

This is where I get testy with some of my back and forth. This is not at all what I’m personally saying. 

Im saying it’s partially his fault but it’s also players, other coaches, the front office, owner, etc. 

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I am waiting for Danny to take over.  Danny has the football background and is working in the FO with the scouts. Hopefully soon.

Met Danny a few times in my years as a Duquesne undergrad. Really nice and smart as hell.