State of the Steelers

warfelg

15 hours ago, warfelg said:

He was such a nice breath of fresh air from the outside that we needed. 

And I have a feeling he is the only reason Khan didnt go full Colbert.   I am 95% convinced he played a major hand in alot of our best moves last offseason.   Khan was the cap guy and learned under Colbert.   I guess Khan could surprise, but I wont be shocked if this offseason is very different from last offseason....and not in a good way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 43M said:

And I have a feeling he is the only reason Khan didnt go full Colbert.   I am 95% convinced he played a major hand in alot of our best moves last offseason.   Khan was the cap guy and learned under Colbert.   I guess Khan could surprise, but I wont be shocked if this offseason is very different from last offseason....and not in a good way.

Can very much see this and it’s why I would do anything to keep Weidl. I’d almost like to see Khan move into a President role where has has input but oversees everything, Weidl as GM who is responsible for all personnel decisions. Would make it tougher for teams to poach Weidl. Our only hope is he’s super loyal and has enough of a voice in the room that he feels like some decisions are his. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 43M said:

good point, this is what I feared especially when Khan praised colbert - that didn't sit well with me.  Khan might be more of a bean counter for AR2  ,  a tarnished penny. 

If they keep tomlin, that is mistake #1. Maybe thats their plan and a reason Weidl wants to leave .  Why stay with a sinking ship?

If Khan is another colbert, this team is going to sink. A legit playmaker QB will help maintain the Mr.529  streak going though, probably their plan . 

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Can very much see this and it’s why I would do anything to keep Weidl. I’d almost like to see Khan move into a President role where has has input but oversees everything, Weidl as GM who is responsible for all personnel decisions. Would make it tougher for teams to poach Weidl. Our only hope is he’s super loyal and has enough of a voice in the room that he feels like some decisions are his

I doubt it.   Commanders would undoubtedly pay him better.

I think our only hope is that the Commanders go with someone else...but we aren't that lucky.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 43M said:

I doubt it.   Commanders would undoubtedly pay him better.

I think our only hope is that the Commanders go with someone else...but we aren't that lucky.

Easily. I really hate the structure and small family business mindset this team takes most the time. 

• Like 1

Andy is from here and comes from a football family. Being the guy who built a superbowl winning team for the steelers would probably mean more to him than any other team. Doing something like Warfelg suggests could work. Give Khan the vice president title and give andy the GM title. Both get raises.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, August4th said:

Andy is from here and comes from a football family. Being the guy who built a superbowl winning team for the steelers would probably mean more to him than any other team. Doing something like Warfelg suggests could work. Give Khan the vice president title and give andy the GM title. Both get raises.

He also had his first internship here and Khan hired him for his first job when Khan was a scout for the Saints. 

Just a rule reminder that because the Steelers names him Assistant GM they can block any interview requests. Also, because he is..well, white… there are no added incentives for hiring him. 

Doesn’t mean it won’t happen, but makes the odds a bit better for him to stay. My guess is they won’t block interviews forever, but hard to see them allowing him to leave after 1 season after they created this plan.