State of the Steelers

warfelg

36 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Arguing not to keep Levi Wallace was not on my bingo card this offseason. We can agree to disagree.

Haha. For sure. I’m fine with the disagreement. I think it’s healthy. If we all agreed on everything this place would be boring. 

To avoid a DP:

https://x.com/steelernation/status/1749602275893317921?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

• Like 2

So supposedly we have put in a request to speak with Zac Robinson from the Rams for the OC position. Not exactly the splash hire I would hope for, and shows maybe they’re looking cheap again. 
Also saw Munchak is supposedly looking to coach again, I’d hope they were on the phone already investigating if he’d be interested in returning, maybe as co-OC or something. Would be a terrific signing for us

41 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

So supposedly we have put in a request to speak with Zac Robinson from the Rams for the OC position. Not exactly the splash hire I would hope for, and shows maybe they’re looking cheap again. 
Also saw Munchak is supposedly looking to coach again, I’d hope they were on the phone already investigating if he’d be interested in returning, maybe as co-OC or something. Would be a terrific signing for us

I have no idea how Robinson would be, but I wouldnt necessarily call it a "cheap" hire.    Not saying its completely off base, but how many top tier, great OCs are really available?   Id rather take my chance with a potential up and comer than some rehashed castoff.     I would prefer someone with previous playcalling experience, but I would take a chance on Robinson over several other names Ive heard mentioned for us.

8 minutes ago, 43M said:

I have no idea how Robinson would be, but I wouldnt necessarily call it a "cheap" hire.    Not saying its completely off base, but how many top tier, great OCs are really available?   Id rather take my chance with a potential up and comer than some rehashed castoff.     I would prefer someone with previous playcalling experience, but I would take a chance on Robinson over several other names Ive heard mentioned for us.

It’s interesting, I was talking with a friend that was a video coordinator for the Eagles a(he’s long out of the business) and he things it’s harder to find top tier OCs anymore because every team is in such a rush to find the next Shanahan/McVay/McDaniels that they are just hiring guys to hire them in his opinion. He feels the league is about to have a few years of bad copy cat offenses that defenses will learn how to stop because guys will be coming up that know offense, not necessarily how to coach. 

He said as GM he would put to unique things in a OC contract: a buyout clause and contract escalators for performance of the offense. Basically make it costly to leave within 3 years, pay him more to make it costly for other teams to pull him away, and lastly, make him give up play calling duties in 6 quarters of preseason football a year to have a better succession plan. 

38 minutes ago, 43M said:

My concern is he’s never called plays, has no OC experience even in college, does he even have an offensive playbook to install or is he just going to take the crap we have and try and make something out of it? Is he more run focused or pass focused, no clue what he would bring to the table. Nobody wants a cast off, but I’d like to see some past performance to know what we’re getting. Now if the plan is him and Munchak splitting the OC role then I’m all in 😂 

7 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

My concern is he’s never called plays, has no OC experience even in college, does he even have an offensive playbook to install or is he just going to take the crap we have and try and make something out of it? Is he more run focused or pass focused, no clue what he would bring to the table. Nobody wants a cast off, but I’d like to see some past performance to know what we’re getting. Now if the plan is him and Munchak splitting the OC role then I’m all in 😂 

Munchak never had much success in any job other than O-line coach. Robinson has called plays in the pre-season. Also, I don't want a "system" brought in that forces our entire offense to fit into it. Isn't this the "square hole/round peg" argument we have had for the last 5+ years? I hope a guy comes in and builds a system for us, with our guys. We don't need a full re-do. We've got a lot of good pieces, we just need to build an offensive structure that highlights our existing talent(we do need to bring in more talent, though). 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Munchak never had much success in any job other than O-line coach. Robinson has called plays in the pre-season. Also, I don't want a "system" brought in that forces our entire offense to fit into it. Isn't this the "square hole/round peg" argument we have had for the last 5+ years? I hope a guy comes in and builds a system for us, with our guys. We don't need a full re-do. We've got a lot of good pieces, we just need to build an offensive structure that highlights our existing talent(we do need to bring in more talent, though). 

It amazes me how coaches, in all sports really, are not willing to do this. You need to be adaptable, not stubborn. IGreat coaches, I think, are the ones that can adapt their style to what they have or something new not just forces their scheme on a team that isn't set up for it or has the right personnel. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Mike McDaniel was a run game coordinator who never called plays under the same coaching tree before he was hired to be a head coach. That part doesn’t worry me.

If Zac Robinson had that experience already, he would probably be interviewing for HC positions right now instead of OC positions. And if he comes here and does a good job he will probably be interviewing to be a HC somewhere in two years, that’s just how it goes in today’s NFL.

1 hour ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

He called plays in the pre-season so ....

He has a history with Mason Rudolph and comes from the McVey tree.  As long as the hire can design plays for the personnel and bring the passing game into the modern NFL, I will be happy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Looks like we lost the Asst Strength and Conditioning coach as well. Definitely looks like they're cleaning house, at least with that group. 

cleaning house would be removing the HC and all his staff. Picking on the Strength coach or the gatorade club isn't quite cleaning house. 

If they keep firing , then it gets close to cleaning house, but until then, just rinse and repeat the usual steeler way. They are keeping austin, no idea why.  Same with Meyer, both cole and moore regressed this year, but all 3 will be back you can count on that