State of the Steelers

warfelg

Still a very meh signing for me. I’m sure he will be fine, but this likely doesn’t change our placement in the AFC and does nothing for the long term picture. 

I don’t know man. Just don’t feel like this did much other than put a nail in the Pickett coffin. 

Hoping they go ham in FA. 

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Still a very meh signing for me. I’m sure he will be fine, but this likely doesn’t change our placement in the AFC and does nothing for the long term picture. 

I don’t know man. Just don’t feel like this did much other than put a nail in the Pickett coffin. 

Hoping they go ham in FA. 

Who would have changed our placement in the AFC?    I don't see a single QB we could've REALISTICALLY brought in this offseason that was going to significantly move that needle.

The main reasons I am okay with this deal....

1) Its extremely cheap.   May end up being the lowest paid QB on our roster, even if we bring in someone else.    

2) No draft picks needed to acquire him.

3) Instant upgrade over Kenny.

4) I dont agree this puts the nail in Picketts coffin.   He will still have one year on his contract after 2024.    It will either be an eye opener and push him to get better, or he will fade away, which he would have likely done either way.

5) It allows us to, as you put it, go ham in FA.

I just dont see a downside to this signing, especially considering how limited our options were.    

• Like 2

I don't see how ppl are saying this doesn't move the needle 

The team went 10-6 with very subpar QB play , like teams backups were better than what we had starting ... As well as all the injuries on defense 

Nobody is thinking of asking Russ to be top 5 QB in the league... Give me average QB play and that makes this team that much better 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cbrunn said:

I don't see how ppl are saying this doesn't move the needle 

The team went 10-6 with very subpar QB play , like teams backups were better than what we had starting ... As well as all the injuries on defense 

Nobody is thinking of asking Russ to be top 5 QB in the league... Give me average QB play and that makes this team that much better 

Can Russ play as good as Mason did down the stretch last season with an added element of using his legs? That’s the bar I have set for him and would consider that a success. 

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Gut feeling:

DJ gets traded and we trade up for Rome Odunze. 

As fun as this would be, and I could see it happening as well, I just really want us to sit back and take Mims or any other RT…but preferably Mims.

8 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

As fun as this would be, and I could see it happening as well, I just really want us to sit back and take Mims or any other RT…but preferably Mims.

Just some quick thinking here. 

Let’s say ARI give us 66 for Diontae. LAC have a ton of holes, little cap. Pick 5 is worth 1700. 
20- 850

66- 260

2025 1st - 500

2025 3rd - 200

Thats 1610. So maybe you move 66 up to 51 which is 390, and they toss in 139 and a 2025 5th. That’s even. 

So that would give us 5, 66, 84, 118, 119, 194, 240. There’s plenty of quality RTs you can still get at 66. Heck if you really wanted to do a RT in round 2, 66+119 I’d 316 points which gets you to 58-59-60. 

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Just some quick thinking here. 

Let’s say ARI give us 66 for Diontae. LAC have a ton of holes, little cap. Pick 5 is worth 1700. 
20- 850

66- 260

2025 1st - 500

2025 3rd - 200

Thats 1610. So maybe you move 66 up to 51 which is 390, and they toss in 139 and a 2025 5th. That’s even. 

So that would give us 5, 66, 84, 118, 119, 194, 240. There’s plenty of quality RTs you can still get at 66. Heck if you really wanted to do a RT in round 2, 66+119 I’d 316 points which gets you to 58-59-60. 

Yea I would pass on that scenario. Would have to be for MHJ and even then I have some pause because we already have Pickens in the fold and how important is WR2 in a very run heavy Arthur Smith offense?

If we were to trade up it would be to #7 or #8 to jump ahead of the Bears. #5 is too rich for me, unless it’s for Drake Maye.. We should not be in the business to be trading future picks away with no QBOTF on the roster.