State of the Steelers

warfelg

36 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Agreed. I’m getting increasingly worried they are good with Dan Moore starting at LT next season. Brian Allen to Connor Williams need to be in the plans at center.

Was thinking the same thing about Moore.

Also wondering if maybe they have some other plan we may not expect.   Perhaps sliding Daniels to center and maybe having a competition between Spencer Anderson, Nate Herbig and Dan Moore at guard, and then looking at RT in the draft.   Probably unlikely, but not impossible.    If Dan Moore has to start, so be it....I just hate the idea of him starting without being challenged.

They almost HAVE to sign another free agent WR AND draft one.    We have absolutely nothing close to proven starting material outside of Pickens.   Austin probably doesn't have much of a place in Smiths offense either.

Like I said before....weird offseason so far.   Last year it seemed like they had a clear plan.   If they have one this year, I certainly dont see it yet.   

Im guessing the main plan is to remake the offense.    I wouldnt be shocked if 3 our first 4 picks are offense.    At this point, I think CB will definitely be a pick on defense.   Beyond that....probably some combo of WR and OL, and I wouldn't completely dismiss QB if they like someone.

• Like 3

Second wave of FA will pick up after the weekend and there’s still some quality out there. If the plan was (and I think it is) to remake the offense then getting stopgaps via FA is smart, waiting for second waive for the guys that need to do 1-year prove it’s is smarter too. 

25 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Second wave of FA will pick up after the weekend and there’s still some quality out there. If the plan was (and I think it is) to remake the offense then getting stopgaps via FA is smart, waiting for second waive for the guys that need to do 1-year prove it’s is smarter too. 

Do you think that deals won't be made over the weekend??  I figured, during this period, and the week or two around the draft, that FOs work tirelessly to get the team built the best way possible.  That said, I cannot honestly remember in previous years, if activity grinded to a halt over the 2nd weekend of FA, or not.

Edited by Ward4HOF

4 hours ago, 43M said:

Im guessing the main plan is to remake the offense.    I wouldnt be shocked if 3 our first 4 picks are offense.    At this point, I think CB will definitely be a pick on defense.   Beyond that....probably some combo of WR and OL, and I wouldn't completely dismiss QB if they like someone.

They almost have to, at this point.  Except for at RB, and TE of course. Good thing is (and hopefully, it stays this way, unless we trade for Fields), we will have 5 top-120 picks in the draft. Assuming they don't sign Fields, we'd almost have to believe that 4 of those will be offense...OC, QB, WR, RT, with the 5th likely being CB.  If they do trade for Fields, one of those 5 will be used, plus a 2025 late pick, if necessary.  As such, they still may grab a developmental guy thye like in the 6th, or maybe UDFA...

6 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Do you think that deals won't be made over the weekend??  I figured, during this period, and the week or two around the draft, that FOs work tirelessly to get the team built the best way possible.  That said, I cannot honestly remember in previous years, if activity grinded to a halt over the 2nd weekend of FA, or not.

A couple of things:

1 - Since the start of the legal tampering era deals tend to happen mid-day now (12noon-6pm). 

2 - Weekend has always been a dead zone for it. Deals are likely talked about but the league office is closed so nothing can be finalized anyways. 

3 - It’s sometimes about what teams shift focus to. For the last month teams have been in office 7-days a week so they tend to WFH for the first FA weekend. 

• Like 1

I do think the last 2 disasters for the Steelers are on AR2 shoulders.  Canada was his man and I would bet that KP was his pick.  Not wanting to pass on another Pitt QB like his dad.  Anthony Rooney can not get trained fast enough

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I do think the last 2 disasters for the Steelers are on AR2 shoulders.  Canada was his man and I would bet that KP was his pick.  Not wanting to pass on another Pitt QB like his dad.  Anthony Rooney can not get trained fast 

Drafting Kenny Pickett was akin to Bush invading Iraq. Personalized decisions, based on resolving family failures, that proved to be bad choices. Marino had red flags, get over it. 

Yes they’re making the offense.

Connor Williams would be a long term piece considering he’s only 26 but you have to eat probably 1/2 season or so due to his knee injury.

$$$ isn’t a big issue considering they already have the cap room for draft picks and their usual $5-7 mill for in season stuff…and they haven’t touched Heyward or Highsmith yet.

1 hour ago, AFF said:

Connor Williams would be a long term piece considering he’s only 26 but you have to eat probably 1/2 season or so due to his knee injury.

$$$ isn’t a big issue considering they already have the cap room for draft picks and their usual $5-7 mill for in season stuff…and they haven’t touched Heyward or Highsmith yet.

I feel like with Williams the issue is how do you do that half season? Herbig play C, well that works since you need to only replace on guy at one place. Is it Daniels at C, Herbig at RG, then shift Daniels back after Williams is back?

I think the answer might be in house. 

Either they learned with Green and took all year to train Anderson to play C, or we might see a RG drafted in RD3/4 and Daniels moved to C full time. Other wise I’d go into the draft with that hole then sign Williams after if C doesn’t work. 

1 hour ago, AFF said:

Game 4 could be a realistic target, probably won’t be back to 100 percent until after a subsequent bye week. 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I feel like with Williams the issue is how do you do that half season? Herbig play C, well that works since you need to only replace on guy at one place. Is it Daniels at C, Herbig at RG, then shift Daniels back after Williams is back?

I think the answer might be in house. 

Either they learned with Green and took all year to train Anderson to play C, or we might see a RG drafted in RD3/4 and Daniels moved to C full time. Other wise I’d go into the draft with that hole then sign Williams after if C doesn’t work. 

I stated beginning of FA if they planned on moving Daniels to center, it would be a good time due to the talent available in FA.

If they truly believe in Anderson, it’s a hell of a leap of faith for a guy that has yet to play an NFL snap.

Im waiting for another shoe to drop at OL and WR…I’d be very surprised if they forced themselves to have to go OL with their top 2 picks.

• Like 1