State of the Steelers

warfelg

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

He’s a UFA after the 2025 season and can be cut with only 4 million in dead money after 2024. I think he still has plenty left in the tank to be a 2 year option. He rarely takes big hits by sacrificing a ton of YAC which could prolong his career. Has chemistry with Russ. Put up 79-894-5 (11.3 ypc) last year. He’s definitely not my favorite option but I do think he makes sense, pending we don’t have to give up more than a day 3 pick.

I’m not seeing that number at all.

Im seeing $30 mill cap hit in 2025 with having to eat $13 mill if they cut him.

Maybe I’m looking at it wrong.

I woulda did the $6.8 mill option and been done with it.

I’m not a fan of having another “need” when they’re is decebt chance you’re going to be trading up for a QB next year and won’t have alot of picks to use.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Not much leverage Najee has in this situation unfortunately. 

So, in general I agree, but in a production based business effort can be an issue as well. 

We just told a guy who has given nothing but all his effort in a situation that was not set up for his success to kick rocks over $7M on a team with over $100M in cap space. There is no higher “we don’t care about you” action than what they just did. 

Due to a life I wish I lead, I often look at this stuff from a business agent/operation standpoint. If I was an agent, you just ended the relationship. Send my client to someone who isn’t gonna use him And leave him. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

So, in general I agree, but in a production based business effort can be an issue as well. 

We just told a guy who has given nothing but all his effort in a situation that was not set up for his success to kick rocks over $7M on a team with over $100M in cap space. There is no higher “we don’t care about you” action than what they just did. 

Due to a life I wish I lead, I often look at this stuff from a business agent/operation standpoint. If I was an agent, you just ended the relationship. Send my client to someone who isn’t gonna use him And leave him. 

the capspace for next year is the part that makes this appear as if they don't want him.  There could be concerns that he might not suit the new offence ,  so wait it out.  As you mention, agent view of ending the relationship is possible too. 

this is the new Steelers FO that we are seeing. Muth might not get his 5th year either, I can't see why he would now after Najee didn't .  The colbert  steelers would have kept KP to play out his deal and Najee would have got the 5th year picked up asap. 

If/when this team is winning playoff games again, getting to title game/SB, it will be interesting to see how many starters are here from when colbert was here.

Edited by 3rivers

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

what was the offer Justin Simmons got from the Steelers?

I don’t think there was ever anything offered to him. There was a story from early in FA that he wanted to play with Minkah, so there was speculation. But, unless I’m wrong, he hasn’t even visited the Steelers. I’d love to sign him.

5 hours ago, AFF said:

I’m not seeing that number at all.

Im seeing $30 mill cap hit in 2025 with having to eat $13 mill if they cut him.

Maybe I’m looking at it wrong.

I’m illiterate when it comes to the cap so I am probably the one who is wrong. Either way I think he’s a good 2 year option. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don’t think there was ever anything offered to him. There was a story from early in FA that he wanted to play with Minkah, so there was speculation. But, unless I’m wrong, he hasn’t even visited the Steelers. I’d love to sign him.

Shannon (Behind Steel Curtain) said there was, but I never knew this. Simmons is probably going to wait a bit and skip early parts of camp and then sign somewhere.  If we can't land the WR1 they want, then maybe signing Simmons will be the next best option.  

WR1 appears to be the priority if we go by the media, but will it happen? I never understood why a team would trade such a player unless their cap is out of control now and going to be worse next year

47 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Glad that neither one of them was on Omar’s radar.

he has dodged a few hasn't he ?   Does he have a CB or 2 on his radar? Beanie might save the slot but for the outside, if Trice /Rush don't break out,  depth is an issue.  Not sure what to make of Jackson, he had major injury and might not be what he was or is limited because of that. 

all we need is a WR1 and CB1.b, thats it.

ST coach too of course, but that ain't ever changing as we have learned

10 hours ago, AFF said:

I woulda did the $6.8 mill option and been done with it.

I’m not a fan of having another “need” when they’re is decebt chance you’re going to be trading up for a QB next year and won’t have alot of picks to use.

Its too soon to say, but unless we are picking in the top 12 or so, I dont see us trading up.      There may, at best, be 1 or 2 QBs even worth trading up for, unless something changes.....and they will probably both go top 5.

Despite some overly optimistic fans, there is a good chance IMO we could finish that high....but Im thinking we finish in the same range next year (18-24).

RB is probably going to be a need either way next year, since we will likely lose at least one of our backs (Najee or Jaylen Warren). 

9 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Its hard to know exactly what their thought process is, but consider this....

The guy will be 27 this time next year, and wouldve been 28 by the time he would have been up for a new contract in 2026 (if we didnt give him a deal).   The Steelers very well may have actually did him a favor, because now, if the Steelers dont get a deal done with him (which I think its very possible they will),  that gives Najee the chance of getting a nice contract elsewhere....which teams will be more likely to give him at 27 rather than 28.    One year makes a big difference in the shelf life of a running back.

Like I said, we can only speculate what their mindset is, but I think saying they dont care about him is both extremely premature and overdramatic.

Bottom line....the Steelers could easily give him a 3 year extension before the season, and I think a 5th year option actually hurts RB's more than it benefits them, given their usually short careers in the NFL.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 43M said:

Bottom line....the Steelers could easily give him a 3 year extension before the season, and I think a 5th year option actually hurts RB's more than it benefits them, given their usually short careers in the NFL.

Agreed. I know I’m a staunch defender of we overrate Warren, underrate Harris, but this wasn’t an easy call at all. TBH I would have leaned no, because I also believe you can find backs.

If you think Harris isn’t anything special then him not getting the 5th year should be fine. Be happy to pay $5mm more on the tag if he has that good of a year. 

I think a reasonable outcome would be to “buy out” the tag on Harris by offering that amount (IIRC I saw the tag would be $14.5mm next year) over 2 years. 

FWIW, the Steelers Depot guys correctly pointed out that we haven’t done a 2nd RB contract since Willie Parker got a 4/$13.5mm extension. And, Jaylen Warren is due for a new contract and the likelyhood of extending both was really low because it would be dumb to pay 2 RBs unless one of them was a steal. 

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Its too soon to say, but unless we are picking in the top 12 or so, I dont see us trading up.      There may, at best, be 1 or 2 QBs even worth trading up for, unless something changes.....and they will probably both go top 5.

Despite some overly optimistic fans, there is a good chance IMO we could finish that high....but Im thinking we finish in the same range next year (18-24).

RB is probably going to be a need either way next year, since we will likely lose at least one of our backs (Najee or Jaylen Warren). 

Its hard to know exactly what their thought process is, but consider this....

The guy will be 27 this time next year, and wouldve been 28 by the time he would have been up for a new contract in 2026 (if we didnt give him a deal).   The Steelers very well may have actually did him a favor, because now, if the Steelers dont get a deal done with him (which I think its very possible they will),  that gives Najee the chance of getting a nice contract elsewhere....which teams will be more likely to give him at 27 rather than 28.    One year makes a big difference in the shelf life of a running back.

Like I said, we can only speculate what their mindset is, but I think saying they dont care about him is both extremely premature and overdramatic.

You could paid Warren for a few years and just let Harris be done after 2025 with no long term deal.

Im aware they’re probably gonna finish in the 18-25 and that’s why they need the picks….plus you’re going to have to spend $$$ to replace him if you don’t draft anybody regardless.

IDK…it just seems like you wanna be a ground and pound team had a decent value already on your team and decided to not do it.