State of the Steelers

warfelg

11 hours ago, Displayname said:

Are the Steelers expecting any compensatory picks?
I did three different mocks on PFF(no trades)

draft A:

17. Jordan Addison WR USC

32. Emmanuel Forbes CB MISS ST

49. Ketone White ED GT

80. Steve Avila OL TCU

120. Owen Pappoe LB AUB

195. Jerrod Clark DL COAST CAR

236. Noah Gindorff TE NDSU

draft B:

17. Joey Porter JR CB PSU

32. Siaki Ika DL BAY

49. Parker Washington WR PSU

80. Noah Sewell LB ORE

120. olusegun Oluwatimi OL MICH

195. Brenton Cox JR ED UF

236. Noah Gindorff TE NDSU

draft C :

17. Trenton Simpson LB CLEM

32. Darnell Wright OL TENN

49. Garrett Williams CB SYRACUSE 

80. Jacqueline Roy DL LSU

120. Colby Wooden ED AUB

195: Luke Schoonmaker TE MICH

236: Jayden Reed WR MICH ST

I think that Oluwatimi at 120 is perfectly placed.

2 hours ago, AFF said:

Yep…I said last year, a QB on a rookie deal is the golden ticket…you can afford to overpay 2-3 guys in FA if you want to.

I know they’re only ok capwise this offseason but they’re more than good after next year.

They can afford to front load some deals if they want to.

As of right now, I got Kenny for five, and I'm out. I'll give him the full freight (starter) as well. Adding a 2nd/3rd Rd guy in two years time. And just keep turning it over like that. 

It's not a terrible strategy in a pass happy league to be a run the ball and play good defense team with cost-controlled QB play until you find the right guy. 

If he can't win the game all by himself he has no value at $100m over the guy on a rookie deal I can nurse to victories.

57 minutes ago, AFF said:

Quick glance on what might be available but picks 32 and 49 are looking good for OL help.

32 for sure. 49 they'll all drop before then and you probably gotta dip 20 picks early. Not into it. I'd reposition the need for 120.

49 might be better for S/LB, which is historically true as a position that gets downplayed, as it should. Daiyan Henley at 49 would be nice. Dee Winters at 80 would be nice.

You could go CB here but who's to say this franchise is gonna take a sure fire baller there versus the pick at 80??? I see no value upgrade letting them take DB earlier. It's almost insane. Just do what you do best and let's keep moving.

Off the top of my head I would expect: Broderick Jones, Dawand Jones, Paris Johnson, Darnell Wright, Steve Avila, Wisconsin Tip Toer, Skronski to all be gone by 49.

You're in Cody Mauch territory at 49 and that's not where I wanna be.

Why does every mock draft have the Steelers trading down from #17 to pick up more picks?

Are you acknowledging you're dead in the water? Trade the WR your QB can't get the ball to that's more valuable to another team. Trade the first RD RB who gets outplayed by the undrafted guy. Trade the guy you don't wanna pay $100m to have $250million tied up in two positions when everyone gets double digits playing across from Watt. That's how you get more picks. At least we can all agree we do need more picks.

Don't take yourself from a good position to a bad position to just pick up a pick (#55) that's also in a bad position 

The last time the Steelers traded down from 17 the Dallas Cowboys drafted Emmitt Smith. The Steelers got Eric Grren. 

That's a really good spot there. Unless you draft Jarvis Jones 😂😂😂

5 minutes ago, Raidersfan1 said:

The last time the Steelers traded down from 17 the Dallas Cowboys drafted Emmitt Smith. The Steelers got Eric Grren. 

I guess Emmitt had a reason for a chip on his shoulder when he had his way with the steelers back in the day 

21 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I guess Emmitt had a reason for a chip on his shoulder when he had his way with the steelers back in the day 

Sure is nice to have a chip on your shoulder running behind Larry Allen.

You don't gotta worry about bumping into someone and losing your chip

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

was jarvis a colbert or tomlin pick? 

what was worse, jarvis or  artie ?

I think it's easy to see. Edmunds - Tomlin. Watt - Colbert. Burns and Jarvis - Tomlin. Possibly in accordance on Jones. See - UGA.

You say why you throw Tomlin under the bus like that. Well, he can handle it. And Colbert has a history of drafting a certain type of player. 

Pre-Tomlin

Burress, Hampton, Kendall Simmons, Troy, Ben, Heath, Santonio 

With Tomlin

Timmons, Mendy, Ziggy, Pouncey, Cam, DeCastro, Jarvis, Shazier, Dupree

Then, I draw the line where Mike got more control. Because it's like some really bad television to steal a quote from Boondocks Saints. Good shooting. Sdhrfjk shooting.

Burns, Watt, Edmunds, Bush, Najee, Kenny

Artie Burns or Jarvis Jones? It's just a bad dream. Considering, he was in a Subway commercial for five minutes, some would say Jarvis Jones is the bigger bust.

But when they announced Fartie Burns I went into a Fartie Burns meltdown. Muttering to myself. Fartie Burns. 

That's when I knew it was Mike's team. Colbert would've taken a Darqueze Dennard type figure, if that's even the same draft. 

Mike grew up on the coast. We grew up in the hills. How can someone who lives by the beach be as tough as the guy whose got three rivers to protect

There's nothing like that water from the Allegheny full of dead bodies and slime to make you strong

Edited by Raidersfan1

1 hour ago, Raidersfan1 said:

Sure is nice to have a chip on your shoulder running behind Larry Allen.

You don't gotta worry about bumping into someone and losing your chip

he was a RD2 pick,  not sure if a RD2 pick this year will be comparable though. 

artie was a bad pick for sure, at least jarvis did have a stat line in NCAA.

Random Steelers thing:

I was listing to a podcast because Ross Tucker was on it talking about Kenny. I avoid Poni like the plague on twitter, but turns out I was accidentally listening to his pod. He sounds so much more coherent on voice than what his trash tweeting makes him seem. I'm sure that's just a ruse, but I was honestly shocked. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raidersfan1 said:

Why does every mock draft have the Steelers trading down from #17 to pick up more picks?

Are you acknowledging you're dead in the water? Trade the WR your QB can't get the ball to that's more valuable to another team. Trade the first RD RB who gets outplayed by the undrafted guy. Trade the guy you don't wanna pay $100m to have $250million tied up in two positions when everyone gets double digits playing across from Watt. That's how you get more picks. At least we can all agree we do need more picks.

Don't take yourself from a good position to a bad position to just pick up a pick (#55) that's also in a bad position 

That's a really good spot there. Unless you draft Jarvis Jones 😂😂😂

I actually think the most likely trade down spot is our pick at 32.
Someone will really want a player there after the first round. 
The mock simulators keep offering solid trade downs at pick 17,
offering an additional second rounder, which you'd have to consider.

10 hours ago, 3rivers said:

he was a RD2 pick,  not sure if a RD2 pick this year will be comparable though. 

artie was a bad pick for sure, at least jarvis did have a stat line in NCAA.

Probably not. He's a generational talent, which is why when generational talents come along you stop what you're doing and take the legend (Bijan Robinson). I remember watching Larry Allen at the Pro Bowl or somin ripping off some 45 reps at 225 

8 hours ago, mwalker said:

I actually think the most likely trade down spot is our pick at 32.
Someone will really want a player there after the first round. 
The mock simulators keep offering solid trade downs at pick 17,
offering an additional second rounder, which you'd have to consider.

The only way I'd consider a trade of 32 is if it involves a future 1st Rd pick. 

But I think with this team I'm trying to win now. And I know they're dead. They need like five really good pieces from one draft class. 

The only way I know how to do that is to break off the pieces that are more valuable to someone else than they are to you and to take players with those picks that are more valuable to you than they are to someone else.

Wheel and deal.