State of the Steelers

warfelg

4 hours ago, Raidersfan1 said:

Probably not. He's a generational talent, which is why when generational talents come along you stop what you're doing and take the legend (Bijan Robinson). I remember watching Larry Allen at the Pro Bowl or somin ripping off some 45 reps at 225 

good draft value can be had in programs that aren't the hyped up major programs.  I don't know if there are any this year but wait and see .  Some regimes were very biased towards the major programs, and often had some major fails probably because of this.

between UFA and the draft/trades, I am expecting the new regime to add 4 quality linemen. Under the colbert regime, be lucky to add 2 good linemen , more like 1 good one and then (after drafing WR's early of course) a late round pick. All those years of getting these late round picks and the occasional earlier pick might be nearing an end with a new regime in place. 

6 hours ago, 3rivers said:

good draft value can be had in programs that aren't the hyped up major programs.  I don't know if there are any this year but wait and see .  Some regimes were very biased towards the major programs, and often had some major fails probably because of this.

between UFA and the draft/trades, I am expecting the new regime to add 4 quality linemen. Under the colbert regime, be lucky to add 2 good linemen , more like 1 good one and then (after drafing WR's early of course) a late round pick. All those years of getting these late round picks and the occasional earlier pick might be nearing an end with a new regime in place. 

Why do you think I like drafting guys from Charlotte and Ferris State? I like dawgss. Because dogs got value. Just cuz he slaughtered the accountant doesn't mean he can't play. Watch how he moves. That's all that matters. What about the guy from Florida playing with 5 stars propping him up when, in reality, he's a two star, and he gets drafted anyway

The Steelers acknowledge this. I want the most ridiculous Sonoma State type characters on my team anyway. It's not the ridiculous I enjoy, it's the sweetness of the scalp.

I love the solving the offensive line issue and I see it like this:

1) Beachum played at like $2m or somin and we save $10m by cutting Chuks as a post June 1 designation. These are comparable players with drastically different salaries. I would consider Beachum at LT as a stop gap, because I think it's more important to get Dan Moore going to maximize his potential and you do that by giving him the best opportunity for success. 

So, I like Beachum as the swing tackle. On paper. Ideally, I add a young left tackle. But he may have to start based on other team needs

Beachum... That's ONE

2) Since I like Beachum, and I like Moore at RG to be a Pro Bowler caliber level player. And since Ole Jimmy Daniels is only 295 I can't just swap you over to the left guard and run power. Unfortunately, Daniels gotta go. He was an emergency pulse splurge anyway who was bad then good. And that's not great. You save $18 million here and I install a proper right side. A more fitting offensive line for who we want to be as men

Reason I like Moore at RG is his size, strength, and movement skills... 7.58

Moore is instantly better than Ramon Foster from day one, who was a competent starter, and slightly below David DeCastro.

3) Mason Cole and the center position is more want than need bc Cole is a competent starter. Oluwatimi in the 4th round is good value. But I need ten draft picks to go down that road. Because I fear a Chukky Okobi/Sean Mahan situation.

We're splitting hairs here, and I wasted a 4th rd pick. What's going on here?

4) Steve Avila is my number one interior presence. He's not necessarily amazing, he's more plug and play. I could plug him in left guard from day one and we can run power all day. 

I like Avila because he can also play center. So, I can start him day one at guard as we tolerate the days of Cole and when we do get that Mauler at LG Avila can kick over to center. If the line progressed like that, it's slowly becoming the best in football.

Plus, if you had to go Beachum at LT it'd be nice to have someone with the snarl of Steve Avila next to him

Avila... Would be nice. Can't count on the stones required to make this move (Top 50 guaranteed)

5) Draft Dawand Jones

Don't need to say anything about him because the man is velcro.

Beachum/Draft Eligible

"Avila"? /

Cole/Hassenauer 

Moore/Dotson

Dawand Jones

The line is built the way it is bc I just want to slowly suffocate their will. It's more gratifying that way. To watch defeat overcome their eyes and see it in their walk. By destroying them in all facets of LLY I accomplish that goal. We go 6'5", 6'8", 6'8" with Gentry. Or luxury pick if not re-signed.

We're just gonna bull you.

Dawand Jones.... That's TWO

6) Mark Evans (Pine Bluff)

I'm not sure how much of a sleeper he is but here's what he's got. Fast and violent hands.

If you're gonna consider Beachum at LT, you might as well consider him too.

Mark Evans.... That's THREE

Avila... Point 5, Olu Point 5.

You see where I'm going here. You either gotta motivate Dotson or replace him. You can't continue with the status quo. You're gonna have to pony up and put some sand in those pants. What I'm saying is I need more picks. The line must be comprised of like men to forge a single identity and these men can't be found on the scrap heap, so the only way I can get like men is if I pick 'em.

I'll take another look at the guys before the shuttles come out. That'll help, but it's not always apples to apples.

sign UFA 1 OL and 1DL, then draft early OL then DL. Thats 2 quality players or should be.

Mauch is versatile and finishes and if thats going to be contagious it will help the team as a leader by example.  Not sure where he goes though, if at 17 or do we take CB at 17 then of course hope Mauch is there at 32.

CB Clark Phillips could play in the slot as well, where is he expected to get drafted?

Mauch can play OT but is projected OG, offers versatilty

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Diontae socked him straight to the bench! Lmao off-season news at its finest.

Diontae is denying it, of course, but it’s funny how so many fans are running to his defense. Pittsburgh media is of course silent, which isn’t good imo. 

I hate to say it but DJ has a good bit of AB in him. 

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

So the guy that gets punched...gets benched.

The guy that does the punching....just goes on his merry way. 

Yeah, I am with Dave on this. It doesn't really add up. Fun story for media, seems like a game of telephone from grade school. The "I asked my buddy from Pittsburgh" being followed by a national headline maker from 4 months ago probably has a good reason why no one has heard of it until now.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I mean, in season there was reports at halftime of the Jets game there was an altercation and it may have gotten physical. 

I know that but that’s kinda where this all seems fake. Punching someone never goes under reported and it’s odd if its rewarded. 

So to take something we knew and throw in a new huge piece of information with the source being “my friend in Pittsburgh”….

Just feels like a story that got embellished and will now be sold as gospel. I take zero stock in the way he told it. But if something comes out from a player or Pittsburgh insiders we would have something. 

Edited by Dcash4

20 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I know that but that’s kinda where this all seems fake. Punching someone never goes under reported and it’s odd if its rewarded. 

So to take something we knew and throw in a new huge piece of information with the source being “my friend in Pittsburgh”….

Just feels like a story that got embellished and will now be sold as gospel. I take zero stock in the way he told it. But if something comes out from a player or Pittsburgh insiders we would have something. 

I get that. Trubisky was asked and just laughed it off. IIRC he said like “that’s not exactly what happened”. 

Frankly based on the way local media covered ABs backside for years I’m past just taking their word on things. 

Still wish we would have traded DJ last year like I wanted.   His stock was higher last offseason, and if we got a top 50 pick for Claypool, we could have gotten more for DJ.

I just don't like the guy.

Talent is there, but his head isnt.  He also believes he is a bonafide number 1 receiver, when in reality, he is a decent but very inconsistent 2.    Im tired of us trying to force the ball to him to shut him up.

I would try to make it work with him in 23, but unless something major changes, I hope he is gone in 24.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 43M said:

Still wish we would have traded DJ last year like I wanted.   His stock was higher last offseason, and if we got a top 50 pick for Claypool, we could have gotten more for DJ.

I just don't like the guy.

Talent is there, but his head isnt.  He also believes he is a bonafide number 1 receiver, when in reality, he is a decent but very inconsistent 2.    Im tired of us trying to force the ball to him to shut him up.

I would try to make it work with him in 23, but unless something major changes, I hope he is gone in 24.

maybe in-season trade will be our last chance for this. Lets say we get at least 1 legit WR in the offseason (Allen, Renfrow, Landry, Jones etc)  as well as Austin , then johnson gets off to a good start:

1. catches instead of drops passes

2. `runs forwards instead of backwards

3. scores TD's, or even A TD

4. continues to punch out players that shouldn't be starting and helps the team win this way

5. a contender needs a WR with the above skillset 

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

maybe in-season trade will be our last chance for this. Lets say we get at least 1 legit WR in the offseason (Allen, Renfrow, Landry, Jones etc)  as well as Austin , then johnson gets off to a good start:

1. catches instead of drops passes

2. `runs forwards instead of backwards

3. scores TD's, or even A TD

4. continues to punch out players that shouldn't be starting and helps the team win this way

5. a contender needs a WR with the above skillset 

I was willing to give DJ passes for alot of things in 22, given how inept our QB play and playcalling was, especially early in the season, but when you watched him compared to Pickens, you could see the difference.    One is hungry and makes it look easy.   DJ's motor doesnt seem consistently hot, and despite his occasional circus catch and nice play, always seems like he leaves alot out on the field.   So many missed opportunities and annoying negative plays that are extremely infuriating, especially from a guy who believes he is a true WR1.

Like I said, he is current day Brandon Lloyd....a talented but ultimately extremely frustrating player who bounced around to different teams for similar shortcomings as DJ.

A player like DJ can be useful obviously, but would be a much better asset if he realized he isnt the star talent he thinks he is.

Im hoping Pickens explodes year 2 and DJ realizes he isnt on that level.    I think a healthy serving of humble pie could do him alot of good.