State of the Steelers

warfelg

7 minutes ago, AFF said:

With Brady retiring, I’d be interested to see if the Bucs send out some vets for draft capital in their rebuild.

Id be tempted for Donovan Smith at LT even though I think they give Moore 1 more year.

Mike Evans would probably require a mini extension due to his really high 2023 cap number but then a much cheaper hit in 2024.

Donovan Smith was one of the worst LTs in football and probably the biggest reasons Brady looked so awful last year. Led the league in penalties as well.

Going after Evans or Godwin I could get on board with if the price was right. 

22 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Looks like I could be taking the early L on the Steelers not aggressively addressing the O-Line this offseason.

They’ll grab somebody in either FA or the draft…I just don’t think they replace BOTH Moore and Dotson.

I think they’ll replace Dotson but they sorely lack OL depth…a mid round swing  guy for IOL or OT wouldn’t surprise me at all….you’ll have all 3 of Cole/Daniels/Chucks going into final year of deal in 2024.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AFF said:

They’ll grab somebody in either FA or the draft…I just don’t think they replace BOTH Moore and Dotson.

I think they’ll replace Dotson but they sorely lack OL depth…a mid round swing  guy for IOL or OT wouldn’t surprise me at all….you’ll have all 3 of Cole/Daniels/Chucks going into final year of deal in 2024.

I think Daniels and Cole have a good chance at extending. I give Chucks a coin toss right now because I think he’ll want to be one of the highest paid RT’s and I don’t think he’s worth that. 

50 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Donovan Smith was one of the worst LTs in football and probably the biggest reasons Brady looked so awful last year. Led the league in penalties as well.

Going after Evans or Godwin I could get on board with if the price was right. 

I think the Bucs keep Godwin due to being younger…The Bucs don’t save much by trading Evans if I’m looking att right but maybe I’m wrong.

Id like to sign Dean in FA.

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think Daniels and Cole have a good chance at extending. I give Chucks a coin toss right now because I think he’ll want to be one of the highest paid RT’s and I don’t think he’s worth that. 

Oh I think so too but even if that’s case, they don’t have anybody behind them.

They got extremely lucky injury wise on the OL…even if they sign a solid FA or draft a guy in the 1st 50 picks, I’d be more than happy if they snagged a mid rounder to groom even if they extend those guys…I want depth on the lines going forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFF said:

I think the Bucs keep Godwin due to being younger…The Bucs don’t save much by trading Evans if I’m looking att right but maybe I’m wrong.

Id like to sign Dean in FA.

Yea Godwin is a pipe dream but I can’t imagine a more perfect fit for our offense.

Dean is at the top of my wishlist but only if Sutton signs elsewhere.

I do like Donovan Smith, but Tyron Smith is still my target (if we are going trade/potential cut route). Health is a question, but Moore would be great depth to make me risk it. He is a big time upgrade though, if he is on the field. Also, cost might be significantly less. Dallas already has a young guy on a rookie deal that can play LT and Smith has the highest cap savings of any Cowboy. 

They will have 4 of their other 5 starting lineman back and have drafted 5 OL in the last 3 years. I just think it's likely he is available and would be that big upgrade that would be worth it. Could end up being straight up cut. 

Our biggest issue for trade is no 5th or 6th round picks though. This is a move that would need to happen before FA. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I do like Donovan Smith, but Tyron Smith is still my target (if we are going trade/potential cut route). Health is a question, but Moore would be great depth to make me risk it. He is a big time upgrade though, if he is on the field. Also, cost might be significantly less. Dallas already has a young guy on a rookie deal that can play LT and Smith has the highest cap savings of any Cowboy. 

They will have 4 of their other 5 starting lineman back and have drafted 5 OL in the last 3 years. I just think it's likely he is available and would be that big upgrade that would be worth it. Could end up being straight up cut. 

Our biggest issue for trade is no 5th or 6th round picks though. This is a move that would need to happen before FA. 

This is a move I would love. You may only get Smith for 12 games every year but he still plays at an all-pro level when he’s on the field. And having a cheap/capable backup in DMJ makes it worth the risk.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

This is a move I would love. You may only get Smith for 12 games every year but he still plays at an all-pro level when he’s on the field. And having a cheap/capable backup in DMJ makes it worth the risk.

I was kinda worried until I saw him plant Bosa in the playoff game playing RIGHT tackle. I was all in again. 

If we are replacing Moore I want to be a high ceiling early draft pick or a significantly better immediate player. Smith would fit the latter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Smith outplayed Bosa. What would he cost though? 12 games too, thats always a risk, because  we don't know which 12 games. 

Still hoping we can trade for Becton, but I would expect the Jets to keep him and Brown fro a good pair of OT's. 

Trade Mitch and Rd4 for Becton  :D

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

Smith outplayed Bosa. What would he cost though? 12 games too, thats always a risk, because  we don't know which 12 games. 

Still hoping we can trade for Becton, but I would expect the Jets to keep him and Brown fro a good pair of OT's. 

Trade Mitch and Rd4 for Becton  :D

Still think with the money tied up in our OL, the significant additions here will be through the draft.

8 minutes ago, mwalker said:

Still think with the money tied up in our OL, the significant additions here will be through the draft.

If Tomlin is Hawk Eyes for the OL thus far, then thats what I expect as well, and a good year for the OL Draft so they are saying.  

What will be interesting is if certain players are there at 17, what will happen.   Many positions of either need or in need of improvement  which makes this an offseason to follow especially with the new FO. For some reason I think they will handle this well.  I lost interest in the offseason in recent years for a few reasons but  this year has me interested. 

I think the 22 draft class will be a good one, already looks good. Colberts farewell draft was one of his better ones by the looks of it. 

What will set most of this up is what happens when UFA starts up.  Maybe even a trade during this period but do you think the new FO will be more trade oriented? 

With the secondary having a nice season despite the tough schedule and missing TJ for half the season, the FO might opt to keep that intact . 

29 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

thanks for this info, great work on that .

and to think I saw a clip where the person was saying that Chuks could be a cut ? He has played good, so keep him.  

Saw someone saying that.  Turned them out right away because they clearly don't know much.  Chucks was really good this year, our cap situation is fine, and it creates a need by cutting him.  The negatives far out weigh the positives.

• Like 1