State of the Steelers

warfelg

9 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

am I in the minority here by being against signing these elite players for their  mega deals most of the time? There are  exceptions of course, but the other pieces need to be in place or most of them. Jefferson is great, but $35M on a WR does take a bit of the cap space away from others and WR typically does require a QB and OL as well. Still haven't seen a WR throw to themselves, QB chemistry + stability needs to be in place.  What did AB do when he left Ben? Just an example. 

Agree Hopkins would be a trap,  and then consider the suspension and if that happens again and the effect that would have. 

I like the Eagles approach , lots of really good players, both young and old, drafted and UFA and then a few special players.  Maybe we can follow this over the next few years . 

so are you saying pony up 1st + more, that seems conservative. I would expect Jefferson to get much more than that. I don't even know of Dionte +Najee + RD1 +Jackson + jack would get the trade done. Can you imagine what the vikings would get for him? It would be the Hershel Walker trade for this century most likely. I'd rather have a lot of really good players  and dominate the trenches.  

Without having to pay franchise to a QB, the next 4-5 years will be when you can afford other players at positions.

My $35 mill a year number  comes from the current stud WRs getting $30 mill right now(Adams and Hill)…im factoring in inflation and how young Jefferson is.

My trade idea is just a rough suggestion but yes it would cost more then just a 1st..:probably at least 2 other mid round picks…if not more.

EDIT…Hill went a 1/2/4/4/6…..so probably something along those lines.

Edited by AFF
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Too early for Sewell and Jones is strictly a RT, so not a fan of those picks.

would you consider Jones  later on, say RD4 and for a jumbo TE ( he was a basketball player as well, his first sport) .  Cave the DL in then go out for a pass, help out in the run game . I'm not sure if he has the 40"+ vertical, but at 6'9" and a span of 89" we can see the catch radius being a bit out of reach for many defenders and could be a redzone target of all things.  It could change the coverages a bit freeing up Pickens  and others. 

Ravens load up in the run game, why not give them some of their own medicine? Being a reserve OT and learning OT in the process while trimming down as well.  The TE targets will force him to keep the weight down. Definitely don't like the idea of him early in the draft strictly as OT , too much risk and limited role as is especially if the weight climbs which is what is expected.

just edited: I forgot that Jones could probably jolt a defender that tries to press.  Just a slight miss match

Edited by 3rivers

1 minute ago, AFF said:

Without having to pay franchise to a QB, the next 4-5 years will be when you can afford other players at positions.

My $35 mill a year number  comes from the current stud WRs getting $30 mill right now(Adams and Hill)…im factoring in inflation and how young Jefferson is.

My trade idea is just a rough suggestion but yes it would cost more then just a 1st..:probably at least 2 other mid round picks…if not more.

no doubt this has to get done while QB is on  rookie deal.  Adams and Hill - neither were on contenders either.  That adds to the debate.

Inflation is real, these deals keep getting higher, but how many win SB's?  Micah, please chime  in with your stats on this :ph34r:

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

am I in the minority here by being against signing these elite players for their  mega deals most of the time? There are  exceptions of course, but the other pieces need to be in place or most of them. Jefferson is great, but $35M on a WR does take a bit of the cap space away from others and WR typically does require a QB and OL as well. Still haven't seen a WR throw to themselves, QB chemistry + stability needs to be in place.  What did AB do when he left Ben? Just an example. 

Justin Jefferson just dragged the Vikings to a 13-4 record with a mediocre QB/O-Line and a bottom 5 defense. I generally agree with you about tying that much cap into one player but Jefferson is an exception and an absolute pipe dream he ever wears black and gold. 

25 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Why aren't we kicking the the tires on free agent WR Bryan Edwards? Just noticed he's a free agent after being released by the Falcons.

I admittedly dont know much about him.   I remember Raiders fans speaking poorly of him when he got traded, and he hasnt done anything since.    Seems like another Brandon Boykin esque move.   Not saying Im even opposed to it, but I don't think it would move the needle at all.   I think he would likely just complete for a deep depth position in our WR corps.

If he doesn't latch onto a team this upcoming preseason, his career trajectory suggests he'll likely end up in the XFL or CFL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Why aren't we kicking the the tires on free agent WR Bryan Edwards? Just noticed he's a free agent after being released by the Falcons.

Why? He has done literally nothing on two teams who were both desperate for WR production. Another whiff of a pick from Mayock/Gruden.

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Quinn gonna be Interm coach by week 14

Cowboys are gonna Cowboys. The front office traded away Amari Cooper for peanuts and Dak is an average QB who folds in the playoffs and Kellen Moore still ran a top 5 offense in back to back seasons.

Would have been a massive, massive upgrade over Canada.

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

Cowboys are gonna Cowboys. The front office traded away Amari Cooper for peanuts and Dak is an average QB who folds in the playoffs and Kellen Moore still ran a top 5 offense in back to back seasons.

Would have been a massive, massive upgrade over Canada.

Yea. Wonder if they bring him in as a consultant. Moore calls a nice game and I think he could help Canada.