State of the Steelers

warfelg

7 hours ago, 43M said:

I actually agree 100% with everything in this post.

The key issue that it overlooks, however, is that we have regularly neglected more dire needs in favor of trying to build a top WR corps, and it has absolutely not worked out.   

We currently have a pretty good WR corps RELATIVE to the rest of the league, and it has enough young potential to get evem better.  Im absolutely in favor of trying to improve it, but at some point, you have to start placing these resources into other areas.   We have already seen the results of drafting WRs early year after year, and it has not paid off.

Like I said....if we were in position to add a blue chip or even near  blue chip WR prospect that complimented Pickens well, Id probably be more on board with that.  

We arent in that position, though.

And when does it end?    We draft WR early this year.    Then say Dionte walks next year?    Draft another one early next year?    Then Austin doesn't pan out....so another one in 2025?

More than that, I think we are going to be running it a good bit more, especially if our running game keeps clicking like it was at the end of 22...and this is a good year to really address trenches and secondary. 

Bottom line...if WR is a big need next offseason, fine, lets go get one, but I think we have to take advantage of the position we are in to improve other areas we are clearly weaker at.

THAT ALL BEING SAID, I wont be shocked if we go WR early, and it will just prove to me that **** really isnt going to change here anytime soon.

I just want weapons around a young QB…we can look at the current 4 teams remaining and see that they ooze offensive firepower except for maybe the Chiefs and they still have the best TE in a Kelce and solid WR in JuJu.

They all have put both forms of resources(picks and $$$) into surrounding their QBs with weapons.

Im very aware that they have holes in multiple spots…I don’t know, I’m just trying to look at this from the perspective of the NFL on how it favors the offenses.

• Like 1

not sure what to make of this. With the draft deep at CB, I would still  hope they draft one of the CB's in the draft. I think these players take up a bit more cap than the steelers can afford. Afford as in still have some cap space to get other players for other needs

trade shakey hands for some of  the best hands, that part seems to make sense for some reason. Problem is, Hopkins also wants to keep getting paid and that could cost more than the steelers can afford

Edited by 3rivers

37 minutes ago, AFF said:

I just want weapons around a young QB…we can look at the current 4 teams remaining and see that they ooze offensive firepower except for maybe the Chiefs and they still have the best TE in a Kelce and solid WR in JuJu.

They all have put both forms of resources(picks and $$$) into surrounding their QBs with weapons.

Im very aware that they have holes in multiple spots…I don’t know, I’m just trying to look at this from the perspective of the NFL on how it favors the offenses.

I mean, George Pickens (who is already really good and still so young), DJ (even with his issues), Pat Friermuth and Najee Harris isnt exactly a bad set of weapons.   In fact, you could easily argue its top 10 or at least top 15.   I get the others are question marks, but so will any rookie we bring in.     I feel like if we added a vet for a year, it would fill that need and give us a chance to assess guys like Austin, Miller (who they clearly have hopes for) and Sims (who I feel could be a nice 4 or 5 option).

If next year, Austin and Miller dont pan out, then look to draft one high.

As noted, this isnt a very strong WR class, and alot of these guys very well might get overdrafted.   Id rather go where the value is, and the value looks like it will more likely be at other positions of need.

You never know...a WR might fall.   But it wont be like last year in a very strong WR class where a guy with top 10 talent falls to the mid 2nd rd due to various red flags.

• Like 1

Was bored and did this as something a little different 

Calijah kancey not as big as they usually take for the 3-4 , but just let him attack not hold blocks

Cam Smith

CB | South Carolina

A

Calijah Kancey

DL | Pittsburgh

C+

Rashee Rice

WR | SMU

A

J.L. Skinner

S | Boise State

A

Nick Hampton

EDGE | Appalachian State

B+

Rejzohn Wright

CB | Oregon State

B+

Ran a mock on PFF.  Going though the draft I'm really happy with how some people will feel about certain aspects.

TRADE PICK 17 TO LAC FOR 21, 158, 2024 2ND, B+ PFF grade

Come around to 17 and no one I loved was available.  Tops on the board were Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Nolan Smith, Quentin Johnston, and Anton Harrison.  I felt comfortable with this value, and was willing to move down without someone I loved being there.

PICK 21 - Jordan Addison, WR, USC, 6' 175lbs, B PFF grade

This is the pick I know is going to get heat.  "No more early 1sts" and "stop spending premium picks on WR".  That's what this is to end the cycle of.  Like if or not, between 2023/2024 drafts one WR is going to have to go high to this team.  I don't think Johnson is going to get a C3 from us or he wants to move on with C3.  I look at Addison as his replacement and with Addison, Pickens, Austin you have a good potential group.

Also considered: Broderick Jones (23), O'Cyrus Torrance (27), Antonio Johnson (28)

PICK 32 - Trenton Simpson, ILB, Clemson, 6'3" 240lbs, A PFF grade

I really like the value here with Simpson.  I don't think he's a day 1 starter, and would require us to retain Jack and possible Spillane.  But breaking him in by rotating in on passing downs and making him the dime backer with the long term being starting ILB is a great value.

Also considered: Cam Smith (33), Eli Ricks (38), Drew Sanders (39)

PICK 49 - Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State, 6' 180lbs, A PFF grade

Seems more and more lately that some of the better CB's are coming out of the mid/early 2nd round once you go outside the top 10.  And that's exactly how I feel about Forbes here.  MSU's pass defense was really good and he's SEC tested against some of the best.

Also considered: JL Skinner (50), Cody Mauch (52), Darnell Washington (53)

PICK 80 - Isaiah Foskey, EDGE, Notre Dame, 6'5" 265lbs, C+ PFF grade

I get that EDGE in the 4th might seem like a bit of a luxury, but we need a better 3rd pass rusher option and Foskey gives that to you.  I do think that that he's got starter upside with rotation ability off the bat.  He's also kinda like Leal in that he's a 7T with the ability to slide into 5T or rush off the edge.

Also considered: Blake Freeland (83), Kobie Turner (87), Steve Avila (88)

PICK 120 - Zacch Pickens, IDL, South Carolina, 6'4" 310 LBS, B PFF grade

I think that he's going to be a guy you look at down the road and see as a good value.  I don't think he has starter upside, but he has the ability to be a long term rotational guy.  His size can do some 0T and 3T.  But he's going to be mostly a run stuffing IDL, which would be good in a role.

Also considered: Kyu Blu Kelly (121), Joe Tippmann (127), Sedrick Van Pran (128)

PICK 158 - Yasir Abdullah, EDGE, Louisville, 6'2" 242lbs, B PFF grade

I know I have him listed as an edge linebacker, but I would like to see him used differently than just and edge rusher.  I would want him to play more as an off ball linebacker in normal dinner, but on pass downs he becomes a pass rusher off the edge.  I think of the way that Dallas uses Parsons and Philly uses Reddick.

Also considered: Thomas Income (159), Ventrell Miller (163), Mekhi Garner (167)

PICK 195 - Austin Stogner, TE, South Carolina, 6'5" 250lbs

I think he has the possibility to be a good blocker and contribute some as a pass catcher.  For him to be a 2nd/3rd TE that's what you want.  He's a big body in the way that Baby Heyward isn't and could create a really nice dynamic where you can put both on in place of Freiermuth and have something interesting.

Also considered: Aubrey Miller Jr (201), Asim Richards (203), Darrell Luter Jr (214)

PICK 236 - Richard Gouraige, OT, Florida, 6'5" 308lbs, B PFF grade

I think this guy has the ability to play OT/OG.  Best case he's a swing tackle, worst case he's a swing guard.

Also considered: TJ Bass (243), Jalen Wayne (246), Taron Vincent (249)

OVERALL PFF GRADE:: A

• Like 1

@warfelg

the early rounds should all help right away,  Forbes has sure hands and return skills to go with it so that's good for sure. 

With this mock draft, what would you do for UFA then to address the trenches.  I guess by drafting Addison, and if he got 10TD's, thats 10 more than johnson got last year so it could help offset a bit .  I guess the D-Hop / johnson trade ain't happening then 

17 hours ago, 43M said:

As noted, this isnt a very strong WR class, and alot of these guys very well might get overdrafted.   Id rather go where the value is, and the value looks like it will more likely be at other positions of need.

You never know...a WR might fall.   But it wont be like last year in a very strong WR class where a guy with top 10 talent falls to the mid 2nd rd due to various red flags.

overdrafting  is something they need to stop doing with the new regime. 

If WR is a need and the draft is lacking, then either a trade or UFA to address this need.  It looks as thought this is a good year for drafting OL,  make the run game better, have depth and also keep KP upright instead of on the run all the time (for example of worst case scenario)

WR has some UFA potential, but which ones would you target the most?  There are a few at the top that will still be a bit cap costly I would expect and no idea how much the FO will want to spend there.  Do you sign one ( Marvin Jones for example) to a 3 year deal and be set for 3 years? Of course after that, lets not draft a WR early next year or the year after unless the right  player falls, which is much preferred  as opposed to reaching/overdrafting.

2 minutes ago, Big Snack said:

Well other than the cap part of that being wrong...

I dunno how I feel about Ramsey.  I think the asking price will be too high, unless they target a player for player trade.  But I also think this might be a sign that they aren't confident in keeping Sutton.

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Well other than the cap part of that being wrong...

I dunno how I feel about Ramsey.  I think the asking price will be too high, unless they target a player for player trade.  But I also think this might be a sign that they aren't confident in keeping Sutton.

Ya my hmmmmmm was more of disapproval than anything else.

15 minutes ago, Big Snack said:

I saw this in a YT clip, thought the team can't afford it. The I read your link, more details there as they mentioned that the team still wants to keep Sutton as well.   With this draft class said to be good at CB I was expecting CB early on, but Khan appears to have a  much more proven idea which should  be good for CB . 

Would you do this considering the CB class and needs in other areas?

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

@nflrums is the farthest thing from a credible source. 

probably a good thing.

The lack of capspace makes this acquisition a problem for addressing the IDL and OL and perhaps ILB.  Too bad though, it would be nice to add another 10 INT's in 23 ;) as well as sending a CB to the probowl for the first time since former LB (turned  S in the pros)  Lake went in 97.  Think about that 

What other UFA CB's will be comparable to Ramsey in coverage that you would like to sign , yet cost less  and how much less cap ?