State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Yup. From what I gather it was Colbert who very much pushed the stay in your pick the right people will fall mentality. 

explains why I always felt we never had a draft with a ton of picks. hard to have a draft with 8-10 picks with several being in the mid-rds if you never trade down

40 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yup. From what I gather it was Colbert who very much pushed the stay in your pick the right people will fall mentality. 

Yep.

Guys like Lawrence Timmons, Artie Burns and Terrell Edmunds really "fell" to us, huh Colbert?

Oh, thats right, they were panic picks because they guys you ACTUALLY wanted were taken.

11 minutes ago, 43M said:

Yep.

Guys like Lawrence Timmons, Artie Burns and Terrell Edmunds really "fell" to us, huh Colbert?

Oh, thats right, they were panic picks because they guys you ACTUALLY wanted were taken.

Timmons?!? Not really the guy I would single out there with Hood right at the top of your head. 

Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Timmons?!? Not really the guy I would single out there with Hood right at the top of your head. 

Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

Was no secret they hard targeted Revis in 2007 and were clearly lost when the Jets leap frogged them to get him.

9 minutes ago, 43M said:

Was no secret they hard targeted Revis in 2007 and were clearly lost when the Jets leap frogged them to get him.

Personally I think Timmons was a hell of a consolation prize then. Also kinda glad we didn’t get Revis. We would have let him walk. 

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Personally I think Timmons was a hell of a consolation prize then. Also kinda glad we didn’t get Revis. We would have let him walk. 

Meh..Timmons was okay.   Eases the pain that several players mocked to us besides him turned out mediocre at best.

Largely agree about Revis.

47 minutes ago, 43M said:

Meh..Timmons was okay.   Eases the pain that several players mocked to us besides him turned out mediocre at best.

Largely agree about Revis.

I personally think he was hella underrated. I think being on such a stacked defense got him overlooked a lot. 

But either way, Colbert did a ton of panic picks and a ton of “well no one else” when trades happened literally right after our pick. Hell the 8 picks right after Edmunds had Jackson, Chubb, Leonard. I just hope draft night thinking is way different. And sounds like it will be. 

I want to see a little more ingenuity in drafting. I was talking with someone that works for the Commanders FO about Colbert. And he said the issue is running a draft just passed him by, and teams talked about it and how easy it was to predict them. 

In the early 2000’s the Steelers we’re running a 3-4 no one else ran where both Edge guys were droppers and rushers. And small DTs could 3T. He used Woodley (4-5 rd grade) and Heyward (late 2nd) as examples of guys no team valued but Colbert knew they fit his needs.

Well issue is everyone wants those guys. The Giants blew it open with their nascar package. Everyone wants that base DE who slides in on pass downs. Everyone wants those situational edge guys. 

He said if Reddick came along 15 years ago he would have been a guy Colbert got in the third that people praise him for. But…he went in the first because that’s what teams want now. 

But he said Colbert never got aggressive when everyone wanted him. This guy got the Steelers a few times as a FO mock drill and said it was so boring because you just got BPA based on need. 

Even if they don’t become aggressive ASAP or movers m, I’d be happy with just not settling and taking a position because you think you need it. Colbert never dropped because it was about the guy they wanted. I want to see a drop down because the next 3 at the position are rated the same and you can get value by seeing one guy go a few more spots. 

At least just use the clock time to make a pick to even just make us think that they took offers and debated the pick. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 43M said:

Yep.

Rashaan Evans for example ( I remember this, Vrabel got the steelers again) , who BTW is a UFA and plays ILB, hmmmn, maybe now is the time? 

the article mentioned how colbert would trade up but rarely traded down. He did with Hampton and that was a good pick for sure. 

Lets hope Khan does well, gets additional  picks and these rooks play year 1 and improve the team.   Thats the draft

UFA will be telling, and any trades.  Maybe Khan will be more active there as well,  see how they handle the UFA's that were part of the 2022 roster first. 

1 hour ago, AFF said:

Trying to sneak a 7th rounder out of somebody is my guess…if they bring him back at his full cap hit next year, that be indefensible…

Art II is apparently dumb enough to want Canada back, so this wouldn't shock me either.

• Like 1

Its going to be tough to address WR in free agency. It’s a horrible year for WR which makes me think some of these guys will get Christian Kirk type deals (Chark, Lazard, Meyers). Low supply high demand.

Slayton, Meyers, Lazard, JuJu, and maybe Landry are the only ones that really move the needle for me and will all get paid. Parris Campbell would intrigue me and is probably in the right price range but he’s somewhat redundant to Austin/Sims/Miller and can’t stay healthy. 

34 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Its going to be tough to address WR in free agency. It’s a horrible year for WR which makes me think some of these guys will get Christian Kirk type deals (Chark, Lazard, Meyers). Low supply high demand.

Slayton, Meyers, Lazard, JuJu, and maybe Landry are the only ones that really move the needle for me and will all get paid. Parris Campbell would intrigue me and is probably in the right price range but he’s somewhat redundant to Austin/Sims/Miller and can’t stay healthy. 

Marvin Jones might be a sneaky 1-2 year type of deal…I don’t think they go after 1 of Slayton/Juju/Meyers/Lazard even though I’d probably be fine with it.

If they don’t add anybody of note in FA, they’ll use 1 of their top 50 picks on a WR.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AFF said:

Marvin Jones might be a sneaky 1-2 year type of deal…I don’t think they go after 1 of Slayton/Juju/Meyers/Lazard even though I’d probably be fine with it.

If they don’t add anybody of note in FA, they’ll use 1 of their top 50 picks on a WR.

Yep....gotta keep drafting WR early.     Im sure in 20 or so years, we'll finally have that elite WR corps we apparently so desperately need.

• Like 1