State of the Steelers

warfelg

I still have a very strong feeling that if Addison fell to us, he would be the pick.   I think he is the only WR we would draft in rd 1, though.

I really hope they dont draft another WR in rd 2 or 3....although they likely will.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 43M said:

I still have a very strong feeling that if Addison fell to us, he would be the pick.   I think he is the only WR we would draft in rd 1, though.

I really hope they dont draft another WR in rd 2 or 3....although they likely will.

If Porter and Addison are both there, what's your gut tell you?

5 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Obviously o-line is important and I’m not trying to get into a WR vs O-Line debate but you’re going to have a hard time convincing me that you don’t need at least one dynamic receiving option to win a Super Bowl. In general, I think it’s easier to mask a mediocre o-line than it is a lack of WR talent.

the lack of talent at WR can be an issue if there is no run game (OL issues) and  QB play is lacking.  I get your point, it's just a preference for me, own the trenches and go from there.  Not sure why I even care, I doubt a tomlin team will have a top tier OL. We had that for a bit, but had no defence, so it was wasted.  

5 hours ago, 43M said:

the colbert effect is still over you, as it was with me over the years . At least Addison isn't  jarvis, artie , bush or dupree. 

With Khan, we are all in suspense and will have to wait and see.  I don't want a WR in RD1 either, too many needs elsewhere. Get a vet in UFA  to mentor the players we have.  Between Muth, johnson and Pickens, it should  be a good place for a vet . Simms and Austin round out the WR group and should get some catches along the way. 

7 hours ago, Chieferific said:

If Porter and Addison are both there, what's your gut tell you?

Addison.

Although I worry about both being taken for the wrong reasons.

If they scout each and are thoroughly impressed with them, I can live with both picks....but I worry their connections to us will give them preference over players they have better grades on.    In later rounds U could live with that, but in round 1, it would piss me off something fierce.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 43M said:

Addison.

If they scout each and are thoroughly impressed with them, I can live with both picks....but I worry their connections to us will give them preference over players they have better grades on.    In later rounds U could live with that, but in round 1, it would piss me off something fierce.

This is where I hope Weidl has an impact. He’s been noted as a strong voice in the Eagles draft room.  I think he’ll ensure that players don’t get random boosts for no reason. 

• Like 1

Also I’m feeling a little better about Flores sticking around another year. Dan Campbell and a few others involved in the playoffs are getting second interviews with the Cards, Sean Payton and the Broncos seem married to each other at this point, gut feeling but Jeff Saturday feels like he’ll be back to Indy. This all seems to leave Carolina who seem yo have no interest in Flores. 

I really think Flores was the big Rooney Rule conversation this year. He’s a good enough candidate that you take the interview incredibly serious. But there’s other options out there who could be just as good or better that didn’t accuse a former employer of paying him off for losing. 

I always felt like it was going to be a two or three hiring cycle thing for Flores. 

Of course what helps him was a team intentionally trying to lose and not spending in FA that finished 9-8; then new coach, big spending, finally putting together a good line, and it’s same results. Makes Flores look really good. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 43M said:

Addison.

That's what I've been getting at. It seems like something they would do. Either make Pickett happy or draft the legacy. 

I'm still very out on drafting any receiver high. I'm not sure why we are trying to find a top dog at receiver when we likely already have one on the roster who will be 22 next year. Especially on a team that is going to be focused on being run first. Way bigger fish to fry and plenty of other positions that could use a 21-23 year old talent infusion. 

If we were to take one, they need to have an immediate elite impact like Chase and Jefferson -- and I just don't see that guy in this draft. The 175lb Addison doesn't get me super excited to think he thrives at all 3 positions. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I'm still very out on drafting any receiver high. I'm not sure why we are trying to find a top dog at receiver when we likely already have one on the roster who will be 22 next year. Especially on a team that is going to be focused on being run first. Way bigger fish to fry and plenty of other positions that could use a 21-23 year old talent infusion. 

If we were to take one, they need to have an immediate elite impact like Chase and Jefferson -- and I just don't see that guy in this draft. The 175lb Addison doesn't get me super excited to think he thrives at all 3 positions. 

I 100% agree.   Only reason Id be OKAY with Addison is his chemistry with Kenny, and I think he could be a really good compliment to Pickens.

Overall though, I hope we dont touch a single WR in this draft.   Get a free agent, see what guys like Anthony Miller and Steven Sims can do with an expanded role, and address WR next year (if needed).

• Like 1

I do not think the team is run first but the team must be able to run to set up the pass.  Other teams are trying to pass to set up the run but ask Buffalo how that is working.

They need an offense that can run and pass out of the same set/personnel. 

• Like 1