State of the Steelers

warfelg

32 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

True…but there have been enough signings since then to show they at least strongly prefer to bring in guys under 27. Again, not saying we won’t but I would have a hard time seeing them break that trend for 30 year old WR who’s already shown strong signs of declining and is 1 year removed from an ACL.

Its more about availability and fit.  

EVERY team prefers to get younger players.  Only so many to go around.

Hargrave has a previous connection to us, so I think there is a decent chance we look at him to replace Alualu.   Not that we wouldn't look at a guy like Daron Payne, but he'll have more suitors and command more money.

Im not saying this team will go out and sign several 30+ yo players, but if the fit is there and they are the best option, it will happen.

As far as Robert Woods, Id kick the tires.   Not my first choice, but we rarely get "first choice" players.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Khan only had 1 signing. Larry Ogunjobi. And it was a risk signing from another team that voided the contract. 

Good point.

Last year there was alot of turnover, and the team was largely built before Colbert left.

We have no idea how the new team will operate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

possibly making the offseason of more interest as a result.  With canada still on the team, how much can the team improve anyways?

I hope so.

Last thing I want to see is the team operate (in the offseason) the exact same way as it did under KC.    We need SOME type of change if I am to have any hope of this team getting notably better.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

I hope so.

Last thing I want to see is the team operate (in the offseason) the exact same way as it did under KC.    We need SOME type of change if I am to have any hope of this team getting notably better.

agree, yet currently I have no idea what their approach will be. Heavy hitters in UFA , trades , what positions early in the draft are all unknown as of now.  We will find out in about  3 months. Is it just me or is this team on the cusp , and with a good offseason could be potentially a contender ?  With a few good UFA signings and draft,  it could be a better playoffs for us next year. 

just watch some calvin austin highlights and man his speed in this offense will be a welcomed addition

even if he does not pan out, we should still be able to draw up some plays to get chunk yards from him a few times next yr. I don't know if we have the coaching to do that tho Doug Peterson ran a play that got a WR on a LB last night for a TD. I feel it would be a easy TD for a guy like Austin, but I doubt our OC would ever come up with something like that,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, August4th said:

just watch some calvin austin highlights and man his speed in this offense will be a welcomed addition

even if he does not pan out, we should still be able to draw up some plays to get chunk yards from him a few times next yr. I don't know if we have the coaching to do that tho Doug Peterson ran a play that got a WR on a LB last night for a TD. I feel it would be a easy TD for a guy like Austin, but I doubt our OC would ever come up with something like that,

I know this is going to come off as a defense of Canada but….our timing on sweep actions and the actual jet sweeps is so far off.  Kinda like screens, just something has long been off.  

Watching the Eagles/Jags games and you could see the snap almost happened right when the sweep action hit the mesh point, so when the ball was snapped, if there was a trailing CB (man) the CB had to navigate the mess to cover the WR, often leading to an open pass.  If there wasn’t, the PA made the LBers and S’s bit which made a hole for the TE/WR to operate in.  Many of our sweep actions that lead to a pass waited for the WR to clear all the way through, giving the CB time to set or for the LBers/S’s to adjust their lanes and zones accordingly.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I know this is going to come off as a defense of Canada but….our timing on sweep actions and the actual jet sweeps is so far off.  Kinda like screens, just something has long been off.  

Watching the Eagles/Jags games and you could see the snap almost happened right when the sweep action hit the mesh point, so when the ball was snapped, if there was a trailing CB (man) the CB had to navigate the mess to cover the WR, often leading to an open pass.  If there wasn’t, the PA made the LBers and S’s bit which made a hole for the TE/WR to operate in.  Many of our sweep actions that lead to a pass waited for the WR to clear all the way through, giving the CB time to set or for the LBers/S’s to adjust their lanes and zones accordingly.

seen you mention this before, is this something that can improve with more reps? have notice plays like that did get more yardage later in the season...hopefully yr 3 of this has these guys master it

6 minutes ago, August4th said:

seen you mention this before, is this something that can improve with more reps? have notice plays like that did get more yardage later in the season...hopefully yr 3 of this has these guys master it

I can improve.  The thing is it happens based on snap count.  So the WR/OC/QB all have to know that they are going on a certain snap count.  Then the timing of the snap is based on the C knowing when that WR will be in the right window.

This is just more me thinking out loud:

2020 was good because Pouncey got that, Ben knew the timing well, and Chase wasn’t super fast but used as this guy.  It was more of a power run for us than a speed outside run.

2021 was off because Green didn’t know how to get the timing.

I suspect 2022 was off because we did TC with Austin in the role some, then Chase, then traded Chase, used Gunner at first, then used Sims.  Add in new C in Cole with 4 different WR’s who run 4 different speeds (6 if you include Watt and Heyward).  So the timing being right was really difficult.

Watch those teams that do it well, and it’s always the same 1 or 2 guys who do that action.  I would like to see it happen with strictly Austin and Heyward in 2023.  They are two guys at their respective positions who will struggle getting clean looks off the LOS. Additionally Heyward’s RB background would make taking handoffs and making the cut easier for him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

And he can act as a FB ( as he has on at least one of the sweeps).

He looked like he improved in this throughout the season too. His blocking on the move got better too. It also seemed like we stopped playing him as a traditional TE and his game really elevated. He’s an interesting piece as a  combination wingback in the weird run formations and as a move TE out of the slot.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He looked like he improved in this throughout the season too. His blocking on the move got better too. It also seemed like we stopped playing him as a traditional TE and his game really elevated. He’s an interesting piece as a  combination wingback in the weird run formations and as a move TE out of the slot.

I would love to see the Steelers have a standard set with Heyward and Muth as TEs, single back and 3 WR.  Run and pass out of the same set.

• Like 1