State of the Steelers

warfelg

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

I would love to see the Steelers have a standard set with Heyward and Muth as TEs, single back and 3 WR.  Run and pass out of the same set.

Huh? Who's your QB? 😆 I think they can operate out of Ace or 12 personnel. 12 is 2 TEs but Ace can be 1 TE and a Flex (Heyward) that is offset the LoS. Imagine this 12 personnel grouping: 

Najee Harris, Deiontae Johnson, George Pickens, Pat Freiermuth, and Darnell Washington. 

Are we running or passing? We can do both and it simplifies the defenses by making them stay in Base defense. If they stay in Base, our TEs are mismatches against most LBs. If they go subpackage, we are bigger and force our way with the running game. Payton Manning dominated with this grouping for years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFF said:

I know people would flip but what about going TE high with either Mayer or Washington?

Steelers used 2 TEs set a lot last year. TEs are mismatch weapons if used properly. Gentry didn't threaten anyone and wasn't a good run blocker. Washington is basically an OT and Mayer is as good or even better than Friermuth. I'd easily take either in the 2nd or get Brandon Span-Ford in the 3rd or 4th. 

16 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Steelers used 2 TEs set a lot last year. TEs are mismatch weapons if used properly. Gentry didn't threaten anyone and wasn't a good run blocker. Washington is basically an OT and Mayer is as good or even better than Friermuth. I'd easily take either in the 2nd or get Brandon Span-Ford in the 3rd or 4th. 

I would love Washington with 32.  He might be a guy I’m willing to go to 25 for.

I think Gentry was an admirable blocker, giving effort, and for a late round pick he showed good development, he’s just limited.  Freiermuth doesn’t anchor well or take on guys out of the stance, but when you move him and get him angle blocking, he’s quite serviceable.  Better than Jimmy Graham that’s for sure.

I would love to see a day when we can line up with a TE in line, and you motion the other TE and wonder is he move blocking, if he going to the slot, is he going to FB (I think Pat would do well blocking from there), is he going in line and releasing?  All while knowing that Washington isn’t strictly a blocker and you need to account for him doing the same thing.

• Like 1

Let's not forget we need a couple of good CBs in this draft or via trade or free agency. 

Bengals, Bills, Eagles,and a couple others dominated our DBs through the passing game. Ignore the fact that we didn't have TJ as our CBs were beaten early and often. We definitely need more athleticism with our CBs.

5 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Let's not forget we need a couple of good CBs in this draft or via trade or free agency. 

Bengals, Bills, Eagles,and a couple others dominated our DBs through the passing game. Ignore the fact that we didn't have TJ as our CBs were beaten early and often. We definitely need more athleticism with our CBs.

That’s why I’m a big supporter of resigning Sutton…you either have to resign him or sign an outside FA of similar talent level.

• Like 1

Just now, August4th said:

notice the top half of the 2nd rd has been filled with a lot of trade activity

the 1st 4 picks in RD 2 last yr had trades, something to think about, especially with weidl's Eagles background

Off hand do you have the results of those trades pick wise?

That #32 allows you to trade up if you want to gain an an extra 1st or move back and maybe get a 1st for next year.

1 minute ago, AFF said:

Off hand do you have the results of those trades pick wise?

That #32 allows you to trade up if you want to gain an an extra 1st or move back and maybe get a 1st for next year.

Jags traded 33, 106 and 180 to TB for 27

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-draft-trade-tracker-full-details-on-every-draft-related-move-since-star

9 minutes ago, AFF said:

Thank you.

Another interesting trade was 34 going for 53 and 59.

they could do a trade like that with Det this yr

32 for 49 and 56. would be picking 17, 49, 50 and 56. having that kind of draft capital would be uncharted territory for the steelers lol

Edited by August4th