2022 GDT Da Steelers 2-4 Visit the Miami Dolphins 3-3

Steeler Hitman

6 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Well, we KNOW he is/was hurt and we KNOW the offensive line isn't great run blocking... so I am not sure anyone would be a fanboy for arguing things we already know. That's all before we bring Matt Canada into the equation. 

I am not trying to push a Najee is great agenda, but this isn't all a reflection of Najee. 

The thing I am more concerned about is that last year through 6 games Najee had 244 yards and 2 scores through the air. This year? 71 yards....total. We have completely eliminated his part in the passing game, which is absurd, because he was mostly only used for checkdowns. 

The running stuff isn't good, but hey -- we are not going to be a great running team this year. But the outlook of Najee is a lot better if they figured out how to get him touches in space in the passing game like they did last year. 

While I agree in general, I maintain that we knew our OL was going to be a problem when we drafted Najee...so the issue to me isnt that Najee is a bad player.   The issue to me is that we drafted him (or any RB) in the first round. I know Im beating a dead horse, but oh well.    I accepted it because I knew it was coming....but I knew what was coming after that too....mediocre production from a merely decently talented back playing behind a bottom 5 run blocking OLine.

So while I wouldn't have snuck with Snell, I wouldve drafted a mid to late rounder to replace Connor and signed a cheap vet like Kenyan Drake...at least until we saw some improvement on the line.

It is what it is.....but short of a premier talent like Adrian Peterson, no back was going to come in here and have success behind this line....especially with an inconsistent passing game and incompetent play calling.

I dont blame Najee.

I blame Tomlin and Colbert.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 43M said:

While I agree in general, I maintain that we knew our OL was going to be a problem when we drafted Najee...so the issue to me isnt that Najee is a bad player.   The issue to me is that we drafted him (or any RB) in the first round. I know Im beating a dead horse, but oh well.    I accepted it because I knew it was coming....but I knew what was coming after that too....mediocre production from a merely decently talented back playing behind a bottom 5 run blocking OLine.

So while I wouldn't have snuck with Snell, I wouldve drafted a mid to late rounder to replace Connor and signed a cheap vet like Kenyan Drake...at least until we saw some improvement on the line.

It is what it is.....but short of a premier talent like Adrian Peterson, no back was going to come in here and have success behind this line....especially with an inconsistent passing game and incompetent play calling.

I dont blame Najee.

I blame Tomlin and Colbert.

I really don't disagree, but for the sake of argument the way I look at it is take good players because you can always change other personnel. I like the right side of the line right now and Cole is decent. If we get a FA and Draft pick on the left next year, we might have a solid unit (and hopefully a new play caller) -- and then someone like Najee could flourish in year 3, 4 and 5. 

But I also wouldn't disagree with the thought, specifically for running back, on waiting. 

My biggest butterfly effect question is what would we have done had we known before the summer that Decastro and Banner were both not going to play again (same with Tuitt). I don't think we would have taken Najee, specifically, and as much as I love Pat I think he would be different too. 2 of their penciled in 5 starters changed when it was too late to do much about it. We have yet to recover. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Everyone is saying that the concussion protocol is hard to pass in one week but haven't we already seen that happen a few times in the league so far? Even one of our guys IIRC. 

Can’t find where I read it but Pickett is already on the last stage of the concussion protocol. Will be practicing in full all week and only has to be cleared by an independent neurologist now. With 4 more days I think it’s highly likely he is cleared.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

To all the Bush haters (me). This is some really good tape from him. Very promising.

This is a bit random for the Bush post, but my favorite part of this is the personnel groupings. I gave smoke to the coaching staff last week, but they need major props here. I loved their plan. Here we are in a 4-3 look with Loudermilk at end and Bush, Spillane, and Jack all in at LBer. Take what you have, take what you know, and make a plan. 

Tampa's heavy run desire and big formations is a tell to stop the run -- they put personnel on the field that focused on that in early downs. Loudermilk is STANDING UP here. Coaching staff needed a plan to help the talent and they had one. 

• Like 2

David Carr thinks we should start Trubisky with unsustainable 3rd and long success because:

Even if Pickett is cleared to play Sunday night in Miami, I think I'd still roll with Trubisky. I know that's not the approach Mike Tomlin is taking, stating on Tuesday that Pickett will start if he gets the medical green light. I fully appreciate that it's tough when teams go back and forth between starters, but Tomlin can avoid some of the scrutiny because of how well Trubisky played in Sunday's win over the Bucs -- and because of how the original benching went down. Sometimes it takes a reality check for urgency to ignite in a player, and I'm hoping that's the case with Trubisky. 

Awkward Oh No GIF by CBC

THIS is what created the urgency with Trubisky? Not the lack of a 5th year option, or being a free agent who could only get a backup gig, or being offered an $8M contract in a world built with $45M Qb deals, or the team drafting a 1st round QB in which you were gifted a second chance starting role....nooooo, it was his benching due to being awful that created that urgency! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

David Carr thinks we should start Trubisky with unsustainable 3rd and long success because:

Awkward Oh No GIF by CBC

THIS is what created the urgency with Trubisky? Not the lack of a 5th year option, or being a free agent who could only get a backup gig, or being offered an $8M contract in a world built with $45M Qb deals, or the team drafting a 1st round QB in which you were gifted a second chance starting role....nooooo, it was his benching due to being awful that created that urgency! 

Carr took too many shots to the head on the Texans. 

• Like 1