Intentional grounding call was wrong-league called Allen. Redskins luck

mar29020

12 hours ago, lavar703 said:

That's because he stands there with a "duh" look on his face. He doesn't go crazy or get mad. He just rolls his eyes and walks away. It's very annoying. 

I was surprised and impressed that he reacted the way he did when that dummy 92 had a penalty on a field goal try. Growth? He still should have attempted the kick to go up by 10, but that where he regresses to his norm. 

Everyone has different looks for upset and frustrated. Gruden’s players know his reactions better than us, and I’ve seen him be visibly upset with players and he’s benched players since he got here if they underperformed. Cousins, RG3, Amerson and Droperts to mind in 2014.

21 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I believe the HC can call for a review of the rule, IIRC.

Actually it is not reviewable but the spot is. A nice detailed article at Football Zebras. By the way, they also said that the call was wrong - there was no intentional grounding.

link: http://www.footballzebras.com/2017/11/20/report-league-admits-error-on-grounding-call-that-stalls-last-minute-drive/

The odd thing is the amount of people saying "it never should've come down to that". Guess what, it did and the refs who get paid to know the rules, completely blew it. Just because the Redskins choked the lead away doesn't mean the rules suddenly don't apply and that it's okay to just get things wrong. 

Theres absolutely no doubt in my mind, with the way Rose has been kicking that he would've put it through the uprights. However, we'll never know because a ref that was first hired in 1989 somehow doesn't know the rules. Apparently this is acceptable by NFL standards because they don't seem to care that it happened. 

2 hours ago, SeattleSkin said:

Actually it is not reviewable but the spot is. A nice detailed article at Football Zebras. By the way, they also said that the call was wrong - there was no intentional grounding.

link: http://www.footballzebras.com/2017/11/20/report-league-admits-error-on-grounding-call-that-stalls-last-minute-drive/

Thank you!

On 11/19/2017 at 11:49 PM, Thaiphoon said:

I believe the HC can call for a review of the rule, IIRC.

1. No, coaches cannot challenge penalties. That rule change has been proposed multiple times the past few years, but it hasn't been approved.

2. Even if it was allowed, the clock was within the two minutes before the end of half/game when coaches cannot challenge at all.

It sucks knowing that once again the Redskins got the screw job from the refs, but it isn't that surprising.

Archived