NFL Playoff Race

titans0021

3 hours ago, lovetitans said:

Maybe someone can explain this one to me. How is it possible that the Jags can clinch a playoff spot today but we cant? just say the scenario on NFL network and didn't understand how that was possible?

From a post on reddit about this:

I messed around with it on the NY Times and ESPN tools and this is basically what I was gonna say. Even if the Titans won this week and the Bills, Jets, Chargers, Jags, Ravens, and Dolphins lost, we could still be eliminated. The Raiders v Chiefs game is the tricky one, but we could still be eliminated whichever way it goes. Post Week 14, the Ravens winning out makes them 10-6 and us losing out makes us 9-7, giving them the 5th seed. A scenario which sees us losing the 6th seed is the Bills, Chiefs, and Raiders then winning out (after a Week 14 Raiders win), giving us, the Chiefs, and the Bills a 9-7 record and 7-5 conference record I believe. I don't feel like doing the math but ESPN's tool says the Bills get the final wildcard with strength of victory I assume. The difference here is other AFC teams can catch up with our conference record, the Jags' not so much.

If you think a Chiefs Week 14 win or tie would be potentially clinching for us instead, a Chiefs win could just have them take the Raiders' place at #4, and a tie would give them both a better record than the Bills and us.

The Jags win all their 9-7 ties because their conference record would still be the best after a favorable Week 14. Also, (with the Ravens still at #5 with 10-6 record) the Chiefs or Raiders could improve to 10-6, but not both due to current standings and remaining games, so the Jags will only ever be competing with other 9-7 teams for the final wildcard slot, which they win.

TL;DR Jags have a better conference record.

2 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

We’ll get blown out with the way we’re playing and the way they’re playing. Early in the season was a mirage and they’re better now. The Titans, much worse.

or

Jags lock up a spot and don't play their guys fully. Then we get a win like Vince did against Colts backups to get us in the playoffs that year. lol

Offense just can't move the ball. 

The defense isn't the problem. It's this offense.  Sad.  Defense was such a problem last year, but now it's a strength.  Offense that was supposed to be a strength might end up be the reason why we struggle to get in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I wouldn’t call the defense a strength quite yet. Definitely better but there are still some holes and I wouldn’t trust them against an offense thats worth a damn. Getting there but not where it should be yet. 

They are the strength of this team.  Meaning they are the best part of the team. Not saying they are dominating type defense but they are the most consistent part of the team. We can't trust our offense against anyone. We can at least expect our offense to hold QB's like Gabbert in check for the most part. 

We can't hang our hat on anything this team does right now. But defense as it stands isn't the problem now. that is what I mean by that.

Archived