Week 8: Titans @ Texans

TitanLegend

15 hours ago, quiller said:

I think at this point he is a lock.   

A lock? He has 2 great seasons so far. He's not even on the radar yet. If he finishes this year great, makes 1st Team All-Pro, and wins OPOY then he might show up on some semi-finalist lists. If he does it again next season then you have an argument.

Closest comparison at that point would be Terrell Davis, but Davis also had some amazing postseason success to back it up.

I'm all about sustained peak over longevity, but 2 years isn't enough.

7 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Don't know if you can be taught to let it rip. Either you have it or you don't.  Marucs had it for a second then lost it. 

Think it goes with the “game slows down” adage. 
we will see. Guys always been a massive project, so hes just gotta keep working and learning from the reps he gets.

side bar — that vid is full of downing criticisms 

10 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Think it goes with the “game slows down” adage. 
we will see. Guys always been a massive project, so hes just gotta keep working and learning from the reps he gets.

side bar — that vid is full of downing criticisms 

Downing did him no favors. It was classic lets force him into stuff we do opposed the stuff he is comfortable doing. 
If he has to start again or if they think he is the guy, we are going to have to transition how we play football. I think. 

20 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Downing did him no favors. It was classic lets force him into stuff we do opposed the stuff he is comfortable doing. 
If he has to start again or if they think he is the guy, we are going to have to transition how we play football. I think. 

Downing just isn’t a good offensive coordinator, zero feel for the game and rarely shows any type of creativity. Can’t say we are seeing much “help” from Tim Kelly, either.

personnel and OL suck. But every completion … even with Ryan … seems overly laborious 

The most disappointing thing for me is, he doesn't look like a next year player...so we will have to pony up big money for RT or some other middle tier gap QB. Really wanted to see more so we could move on from RT and save that $30M for other impact players. 

They won't get that hesitation out of him this offseason, and definitely not going to fix that poor technique. As bad as Woodside is...he would have made some of those reads and cut it loose, probably would have forced one deep to someone and had to picked too. If this were a longer term injury I think we would be seeing Woodside going forward. 

idk what y'all want out of downing. our passing offense is not complicated relative to others in the league- these are absolutely basic concepts that any QB has to be able to execute to achieve any level of success in the nfl, i don't care who you are. did downing flub some things? sure. but based on that video he also schemed up at least three WIDE *** OPEN receivers on malik's first read (and three is a lot when you consider he threw 10 passes total lol) and malik was late, inaccurate, or didn't even throw the ball on literally all of them. like, what do you guys want? because if malik hits those three extremely easy passes we're probably talking about him today like he's the second coming lol. like it or not, if we want malik to be good, he's going to have to be able to execute this stuff, and the fact that he can't is why he went 86 overall instead of 6 overall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

idk what y'all want out of downing. our passing offense is not complicated relative to others in the league- these are absolutely basic concepts that any QB has to be able to execute to achieve any level of success in the nfl, i don't care who you are. did downing flub some things? sure. but based on that video he also schemed up at least three WIDE *** OPEN receivers on malik's first read (and three is a lot when you consider he threw 10 passes total lol) and malik was late, inaccurate, or didn't even throw the ball on literally all of them. like, what do you guys want? because if malik hits those three extremely easy passes we're probably talking about him today like he's the second coming lol. like it or not, if we want malik to be good, he's going to have to be able to execute this stuff, and the fact that he can't is why he went 86 overall instead of 6 overall.

Downing sucks

Malik is a massive project that missed some layups 

cant both be true?

23 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Downing sucks

Malik is a massive project that missed some layups 

cant both be true?

both can be true, but when you say he has "zero feel for the game and rarely shows any type of creativity" after a game in which he repeatedly used creative play design to create opportunities for malik (and the running game! the zone read looks with cross motion were responsible for our biggest explosives of the game)...i don't think yesterday is really the best example of his shortcomings. i am of the opinion that downing is mid- not awful, definitely not great. but he's also working with a likely bottom-5 offensive lineup personnel-wise that started a rookie project QB yesterday. 

34 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

both can be true, but when you say he has "zero feel for the game and rarely shows any type of creativity" after a game in which he repeatedly used creative play design to create opportunities for malik (and the running game! the zone read looks with cross motion were responsible for our biggest explosives of the game)...i don't think yesterday is really the best example of his shortcomings. i am of the opinion that downing is mid- not awful, definitely not great. but he's also working with a likely bottom-5 offensive lineup personnel-wise that started a rookie project QB yesterday. 

He does have zero feel for the game. We saw one end of the spectrum with Smith and Downing isn’t even in that stratosphere. 

And like I said in my post, this also stems from when Ryan is playing as well. 

yesterday was just “run the ball and lean on Henry.” There were some nice play designs thrown in there, sure, but my opinion on Downing is 100% regarding his entire body of work and not a single game with a mid round project QB 

I also defer to Jt OSullivan who knows football 10000x better than us who was openly critical of Downing a few times in that video about making things more complicated than they needed to be (although he did mention that he was overall a fan of Todd, so clearly there’s something there that I am missing)

Edited by deeluxx3