Week 7 GDT: Raiders vs Saints

NickButera

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

If the offense starts cooking, he might be safe. 

But so far, we've only looked decent at best while being generous, and only against bottom rung defenses. 

It has a looooooooong way to go before he should have any right to feel his job is safe. 

The OP was writing about a scenario where Edgar bennett takes over like Rich B did last year. 

5 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

Not no, but h*ll no!! Bro!

I can not watch a replay until 9 pm but by looking at the score and stats it seems like a perfect storm of every fear I have had about this team.  

Offense is dysfunctional from improper assets being brought in.

Defense is dysfunctional from a lack of assets.

Playing in the East at 10 am.

Coaching is worse than expected.

Team had a let down after beating up on bad team last week.

Only question is how well did AJ Cole punt and did Carlson do a good job with his 1 kickoff?

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I can not watch a replay until 9 pm but by looking at the score and stats it seems like a perfect storm of every fear I have had about this team.  

Offense is dysfunctional from improper assets being brought in.

Defense is dysfunctional from a lack of assets.

Playing in the East at 10 am.

Coaching is worse than expected.

Team had a let down after beating up on bad team last week.

Only question is how well did AJ Cole punt and did Carlson do a good job with his 1 kickoff?

Saints coming off an embarrassing loss. It was a bad spot most definitely but too get steamrolled like this is another level 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Saints coming off an embarrassing loss. It was a bad spot most definitely but too get steamrolled like this is another level 

Teams playing off the Thursday night have 11 days to prepare. However Saints had cluster injuries all over and still goose egged us

50 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Was Waller active?  Moreau got 9 targets.  Seems like we held Waller out for a trade or we are trying to feature Moreau to see if anyone wants him.  Also did Carr get hurt or pulled?  That is probably a bad sign with how bad it looks like he played.

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Was Waller active?  Moreau got 9 targets.  Seems like we held Waller out for a trade or we are trying to feature Moreau to see if anyone wants him.  Also did Carr get hurt or pulled?  That is probably a bad sign with how bad it looks like he played.

Carr got benched

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Problem is, with the ease at which New Orleans was moving the ball, if they had additional possessions, they would've just topped 35 on us. 

Our offense was flat out bad today, no denying it. But I don't think it would've mattered either way. We wouldn't have won a shootout with the Saints with how both units were playing today. The nothingburger is always gross, but yeah. 24-21, 24-17, etc is all still a loss. If we'd scored 21, they probably score 35. 

True but if you give up 35 you at least have a shot winning still.  You put up zero and the best you can do is tie.  I can not really comment because I have not watched the game but 109 yards in your first 7 drives and I would think we were playing the 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens.  Our defense had their typical bad game.  They at least had a couple drives where they forced a 3 and out.  I am counting the drive the Saints kicked a FG after the Int.

12 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

True but if you give up 35 you at least have a shot winning still.  You put up zero and the best you can do is tie.  I can not really comment because I have not watched the game but 109 yards in your first 7 drives and I would think we were playing the 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens.  Our defense had their typical bad game.  They at least had a couple drives where they forced a 3 and out.  I am counting the drive the Saints kicked a FG after the Int.

Oh don't get me wrong, there wasn't a single positive that can be said for the offense today. Nothing. Not a single one. 

Just pointing out that it wouldn't have mattered either way. The Saints offense looked virtually unstoppable today as we allowed Alvin Kamara to have his way with us, had zero answers for Taysom Hill despite him never being a real threat to throw, and making Andy Dalton look like a franchise type QB. 

The only intrinsic value in not putting up a giant doughnut on the scoreboard would have had would be for people to continue making excuses for Josh McDaniels' deficiencies as a HC and play caller. 

Look at it this way: 

We should not be losing to lesser teams, which is what we've done. 

The defense is bad. It's inexcusably bad, given that we make bad QBs look like very good QBs, can't make stops on 3rd (forced 2 punts all game....), and Graham has zero clue how to scheme against any single weapon everyone can see abusing us from a mile away. He needs to kick rocks. 

Had we lost 24-21, the narrative would not be that McDaniels' scheme sucks wind and looks like a broken record playing all the worst hits. It would be that the defense gave us ample opportunity to win- which anyone with two functioning eyes could see was not the case. 

Had we lost 35-28, the narrative would be that the defense didn't get enough help from the offense, not that Patrick Graham sucks and his schemes do not work. 

The core point is tha McDaniels has been given excuse after excuse. I'm glad we scored 0. That embarrassment is likely what prompted Davis to have another meeting with McDaniels, and a 24-21 loss or whatever probably stalls that from happening despite things very clearly being broken. 

At the same time, however, it cannot simply be glossed over that the offense would have been hard pressed to keep pace with the Saints because our defense has regressed to the point of absurdity. 

The internal reflection that needs to happen from Josh is something like this:

"Even if our offense had a near-perfect day, it would have been wasted. The offense needs to be fixed, but what good is fixing it if the defense merely acts as a punching bag by which opponents drain the clock before inevitably scoring?"

If the offense scored a bunch of points but we continue to lose, the excuses for both sides of the ball would simply continue. 

Josh McDaniels isn't an Offensive Coordinator anymore, he's the Head Coach. He doesn't, or rather shouldn't, get the luxury of worrying only about the offense and not the defense, which is what would have happened with yet another close loss despite a poor defensive performance. 

Had the Saints kept running a real offense instead of rushing Taysom Hill 10 times and going low key scrimmage mode, they would've put up near 40 on us. 

The offense looked like hot garbage today. No doubt. No debate. As I said, it needs to be fixed. But it only highlights, or at least should, that as long as Graham continues to fail as a Defensive Coordinator, it's likely for naught. Why? Because the Saints D has been far better than ours this year, as have most defenses we've played. But their offense has been significantly inferior by almost every metric. 

Other teams aren't going to stop playing offense or defense for us. Maybe our offense gets to scoring points against their D. But we may as well just allow every kickoff to be returned for a TD and hope we can get the ball last and hit a 2 pointer, because right now all the defense is good for is giving up a score while more time gets eaten away, which negates any functional gains the offense might make. 

The offense had an abysmal day at the office. The defense has had an abysmal season while seemingly getting worse every game. What good is a top 5 offense when your defense simply cannot stop anyone? 24-0, 24-21, 40-0, 40-35, losses are losses regardless of the score, and other teams don't score on our offense very often but have almost routinely outpaced us in points despite us being like 3rd in ppg coming into today. 

Giving up big plays and points to lesser talent hasn't embarrassed Josh enough to make necessary changes, because he doesn't have a HC outlook. A giant nothingburger on offense while Andy Dalton looked like Drew Brees in his prime out there may finally do the trick. 

• Like 2

Didn't watch any games this week and now I'm glad I didn't see this game. YIKES!!!

I don't know what's wrong with this team but I'd guess it's coaching. 

I'm assuming it will start clicking at some point but probably too late in the season.