Sugashane's Halfway There Mock - Rally Around Fields

Sugashane

Designed-runs-for-Justin-Fields-help-Bea

So, in this mock I am going to assume Poles keeps the staff fully intact and tries to add an elite talent from the tank-job and eating so much dead cap in 2022. As of right now the Bears just came off a dominant win against the Patriots, and Getsy did exactly what we have been begging him to do. Move the pocket, pound the rock, and make the defense account for Fields’ elite athleticism. If he can keep it simple and play bully ball we may have a competent OC on our hands. Even with a very underwhelming defensive group we are still 7th in PPG as well, though I expect that to go down with a significantly stronger SOS for the latter half of the season.

And yes, this is super aggressive. Teams with franchise QBs have been manipulating the cap for years, there is zero reason we shouldn't be able to with Fields on a rookie deal. 

As always, this is what I would like to see and not what I think Poles will do.

Starting Cap Space - $106.179 mil (I’m not accounting for rollover or anything, just quick numbers)

Cuts/Trades

Robert Quinn and a 6th traded to KC for their late 3rd.   Nevermind, PHI actually made the trade. 

Robert Quinn traded to PHI for a 2023 4th round pick - Saves $9.76 mil ($116.222 mil)

KC has 13 picks IIRC and has a pair of 3rd rounders. There is no way they walk into 2023 with Mahomes making $46 mil, Clark making $30 mil, Jones making $27 mil, AND a guard making $22 mil. They will be moving people, making space, and this likely means a discounted Quinn is ideal. They are only on the hook for about $10 mil for Quinn’s 2023 salary and he can be cut to save $13 mil.

Cut Cody Whitehair – saves $5.794 mil ($122.016 mil)

He simply isn’t worth his contract. At this point he is Garza – if he’s the worst starter you have a fantastic OL, but if he is the best your OL is bottom 3. Move on, get better and younger.

Cut Patrick – save $3.900 ($125.916 mil)

He sucks, swing and a miss. He can be “kind of a prick” on someone else’s bench.

Cut Muhammed – save $4.000 ($129.916 mil)

Another crap signing. Contract was set up to be able to cut ties easily if he sucked. Best part of this signing honestly.

Cut Justin Jones – save $4.900 mil ($134.816 mil)

This one I actually didn’t find as easy. Jones has been the one free agent Poles signed that has been something other than terrible or M.I.A. this season. Simply put though he is set to make $7.4 mil in 2023, and in no way do I see him being worth that. Technically there are24 guys set at DT to make more than that against the cap in 2023, but there will be a lot of cuts. No way Robertson-Harris makes $10+ mil or Brockers makes $13 mil for a horrific DET defense. While he has been a lone bright spot I can’t see him being worth that in a pretty good FA class. Plus, I’m not betting he is going to be counted on for 17 games when the most he has played in a season is 13.

That’s right! I’m keeping Eddie Jackson. He is at the moment the highest paid player 3 times over for the season (the next is Fields at $5.146 mil). EJax is making over $17 mil but we have opened enough spots up already that need filled, plus in 2024 he can be cut to save almost $13 mil rather than only saving $7.5 mil for cutting him now. Quinn will have enough dead cap for me and EJax is doing well so far.

Re-signings

LB Roquan Smith – Franchise tag for $17.438mil ($117.378 mil)

Well, EJax wasn’t by and far the highest earning person for long was he? Roquan hasn’t looked quite as dynamic as he was in the 3-4 but he also has a horrible DL in front of him. That being said even with a trash DL we currently have the 11th best defense in regards PPG. He is one of the few bright spots we have had the last several weeks. He is an athlete that needs to be kept clean so we give him the chance to do so and earn the monster deal. Plus he had a... rather bizarre offseason. From high school on he has had a commitment issue whenever there has been some sort of contract... EVERY time now. He may even refuse to re-sign a long-term deal with Poles to begin with. Either he plays for us in 2023 or we sign and trade for a 2nd round pick. If he plays in 2023 and refuses to re-sign then we get a comp pick for him in 2024.

OLB Nick Morrow – 2 years, $6 mil, $3 mil guaranteed ($114.378 mil)

Morrow isn’t good, but he has been competent at least. He at least earns the right to fight for a starting role and is a solid sub. Still likely a cut in 2024.

WR N’Keal Harry – 1 year $2.5 mil ($111.878 mil)

Harry fights for a roster spot. He stays because he knows the system and is trying to build value. Is only depth and has little shot of making the roster in 2024.

LS Patrick Scales – 2 years, $2.2 mil ($110.778 mil)

Never notice a bad snap from him, IDK why he only gets one year deals. Just lock him up and be done with it already... with a 2 year deal. lol 

S DeAndre Houston-Carson – 2 years $2.2 mil ($109.678 mil)

Special teams standout and decent S depth. Nothing much to see here.

FB Khari Blasingame – 2 years, $2.5 mil ($108.428 mil)

I was rooting for him after watching him open up holes the first two weeks, and he seems to consistently drive guys back.  I’m becoming a big fan of him aggressiveness, and I have been on here begging for a FB to really get some power football. I started on this forum and the first draft we had was the one with Kyle Long… and I REALLY wanted that year’s 6th CornWash to be converted to FB. KB doesn’t have the freakish physical ability but as a former RB he might be able to be a well-rounded FB too.

Equalefisufferantious St. Brown – 1 year, $1 mil. ($107.428 mil)

Bottom of the chart depth. Will have to earn his spot in a position battle but has the leg up compared to some due to system/QB familiarity. Likely a cut.

C Sam Mustipher – RFA tender for $2.183 mil ($105.245 mil)

Horrible starter but can do spot duty as needed. Gives a cheap band-aid for the backup C spot, will have to beat out Kramer for he #2 role.

Trades

Bears trade their 4th round pick for WR Calvin Ridley. Due $11.116 mil ($94.129 mil)

1191799169-850x560.jpeg

I’ve seen the compensation demand being set like Diggs for BUF but Calvin hasn’t played an NFL snap since his 5th game in 2021 and is out (I believe) for all of 2022. This means he will be making $11 mil and might not want to re-sign in 2024. This makes it harder to make a demand for a higher pick. ATL washes their hands of his cap hit and gets another 3rd to try and build around their young core, and the Bears get a legit #1 talent.

*If Ridley signs an extension with Chicago then ATL gets a 2024 4th round pick as well, if he does and meets statistical markers that 4th moves up to a 3rd.

Free Agency - $94.129 mil available

The Bears have a potential franchise QB and squandered 2022’s season to tank and clear bad contracts. Now is the time to add as much supporting talent around Fields to see if he is the guy. If not then the supporting cast is significantly upgraded when they pull a rookie in to compete in 2024 or 2025. There is a lot of work to be done.

HB Saquon Barkley – 4 years, $54 mil, $27 mil guaranteed 15/15/11/11 ($79.129 mil)

saquon-barkley-adrian-amos-leap-hurdle.j

I can hear the “Don’t pay running back” already. Bring ALL the hate! Lol. (This was Hunt until I changed it tonight)

Look, the Bears have leaned heavily on the run game and will have to continue to do so. Fields NEEDS RPOs, play-action, etc to thrive, but he also needs a great receiver out of the backfield. The amount of times he is hit is ridiculous, but if he has Barkley as a safety net he will get hit much less. We haven’t had a really good receiver out of the backfield since Forte that wasn’t one dimensional (Cohen was a gadget 3rd down back more than a real RB, he and Howard were both one-role players). Monty isn’t much of a receiver, Herbert has less than 1 catch per game, etc. Barkley is undoubtedly the best FA RB in the class, he is the best runner, explosive, and if not the best receiver then he is at-worst third (Hunt and Pollard the other two to consider). What better way to test Fields than to give him ALL the tools he could ask for? Barkley gets paid and best of all, if Fields busts in the next two years then Barkley can be cut with no impact at the same time or retained on the cheaper part of his deal.

Rather than try to get 25 FA starters why not get the best ones, pay heavy up front and then be able to re-sign our top players in the next 2 years or so. Fields, Johnson, Mooney, Jenkins, Borom, B. Jones, and others have potential to ball out and earn big paydays. Pay now when we have a ridiculous amount of cap to make the latter parts of the contracts easier to extend our own talent.

OT Jack Conklin – 4 years, $50 mil, $30 mil guaranteed 14/13/12/11 ($65.129 mil)

e0e85a33a2469d600ddfe1505714b4af

I was a huge fan of Conklin pre-draft and after his one down year he has been damn good since. He is nasty in the run game and a plus passblocker too. He and Jenkins get to be the bash brothers on the right side, beating the hell out of one side of the field for Barkley and Herbert. 

Also this doesn't mean Borom is being given up on, he is just moving to LG where he can be a big upgrade there. Honestly I thought it would be a better fit for him than RT, but I also would have had Jenkins at OT too. 

C Ethan Pocic – 4 years, $30 mil. $16 mil guaranteed 9/8/7/6 ($56.129 mil)

63571638bc4a4.image.jpg?resize=1476,984

Ethan seems like he is a 10-year vet but has grown to be one of the better centers in the NFL and is only 27. With the ability to anchor he will allow us to form an actual pocket for Fields. Dude has been great in pass protection and has the nasty to-the-whistle streak I love. Plus movement ability, mean, and bullrushing him is like trying to bullrush an Escalade. One of the biggest holes on the starting line up is finally fixed. 

DE Zach Allen – 3 years, $21 mil, $12 mil guaranteed. 8/7/6 ($48.129 mil)

gallery_medium.jpg

Our passrush from the interior has been garbage as I mention, but from the edge it has been equally bad. We have the 7th least sacks in the league, averaging less than 2 per game. Allen is an ascending player who has the size to be the 3T and the motor/athleticism to be a base DE. He constantly seems to be getting into the backfield when I watch AZ play, and steps in to be a new body to collapse the pocket and set the edge. He gets to play the Izzy role to get the maximum passrush, kicking inside to give more speed inside.

NT Jarran Reed – 2 years, $8 mil, $4 mil guaranteed. 4/4 ($44.129 mil)

3L44T4SPFVEAJNEY2SD7PZGKHY.jpg

I think this year Poles saw that he needs some big bodies to line up on the inside. While the group has performed better than I expected they are still needing someone to be a run stuffer early on. While Reed is pretty much a one dimensional player he will be able to be an early down force that helps keep the LBs clean. When we go into a passrush package he will be the one coming out. Plus weakening the GB DL is never a bad thing.

ILB – Leighton Vander Esch – 3 years, $25 mil, $10 mil guaranteed. 8/8/9 ($36.129 mil)

paaddbezr0e7kdbdfjim

After coming out the gates with a hellishly good rookie season he has had injury woes. That being said his $2 mil contract for 1 year is highway robbery, and he will be securing more this offseason. His play in 2022 has not been to his rookie year ut much closer than the down years. His injury history still hurts his contract but he is smart and physical enough that he fits into the MIKE role quite well. He is connected to Eberflus by Rod Marinelli too, as Eberflus took the DC job just before Vander Esch was drafted. If Smith does choose to walk then we might have a solid option to hold the tide as we get more talent developed at LB. If he falls through then in 2024 we only are on the hook for $2 million.

OLB – Jaylon Smith – 2 years, $3 mil, $2 mil guaranteed. 1.5/1.5 ($34.629 mil)

R.7110c8d3ba4d078245f587d889557023?rik=g

His first two years in Dallas had a connection to our HC, as Eberflus was the LB coach. This connection brings Jaylon to come and try to boost the LB corps. He isn’t the same player he was in college but regardless he is stout enough to take on blocks and can thump, so he likely becomes the base SAM and comes off in nickel.

ILB – Anthony Walker – 2 years $6 mil deal. 3/3 ($31.629 mil)

GettyImages-1331359355-e1627942011640.jp

Another player with strong connections to Eberflus, he played under him from 2018-2020. Sadly he tore his quad so I have no idea how healthy his is, but with Vander Esch and Smith being rather injury prone Walker can be another person to be able to play when ended. I actually think he beats Smith out if he recovers quickly but we will see how he recovers. Has the athleticism and size that he can play MLB or OLB too.

TE OJ Howard– 2 years, $4 mil, $2 mil guaranteed. 2/2 ($29.629 mil)

AUUfuclw%2BcOCtwbkSU=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r

Honestly I have no idea about this TE group. I would like to snag Gesicki, Tonyan, or Schultz but with the resources being thrown at WR and OL I think Kmet can do well as the 4th or 5th option in the passing game. He is a serviceable blocker but that is where Howard’s strength is. When in a 2 TE set he can be a better blocker and free Kmet to be the move end. Howard is the #2 at best but also would be an interesting option to compete at FB. He is athletic and has great size, and has a top athletic profile in that spot. He lost some burst after the leg injury but would be a top tier athlete as a FB, and I would LOVE to see him getting a head of steam to crush a S. lol

DT Jihad Ward 2 years, $6 mil, $3 mil guaranteed 3/3 ($26.629 mil)

636340204.jpg

Ward has the ability to play the NT or back up the 3T spot, the Bears get a cheap, hard-nosed player. Right now this nets us 2 pure DEs and 2 pure DTs on the team, and Allen being able to play in either role. That is a good start on rotational depth.

CB Patrick Peterson – 1 year, $3.55 mil. ($23.079 mil)

sports-fbn-vikings-notes-ms.jpg

Peterson is a band aid with a look to the future. In 2023 there are contracts that will either need extended (Ridley and Roquan) or there will be significant contracts coming off (Ridley, Roquan, EJax) and several bits of dead cap from players like Quinn, Whitehair, and Co will be falling off. But rather than try to go for broke by chasing after Flowers, Ya-Sin, or Bradberry we simply raise the floor a bit from Vildor.

NT Jonathan Hankins – 1 year, $1.5 mil ($21.579 mil)

1355561594.0.jpg?fit=1400,933&ssl=1

Hankins isn’t the same player, he will be 31 next season and does one thing well, defend the run. Short yardage sets, goal line, and as a rotational piece he can still bring it.

Remaining for draft class and emergency signings - $21.579 mil

2023 Draft

Bears will pick 7th overall, I am spitballing there and used a few sites to see draft needs for each of the teams. 

First Round

1-      Detroit Lions: QB Bryce Young, Alabama -   DET needs to cut Goff’s contract. Save $20 mil and get your potential franchise QB

2-      Houston Texans: QB CJ Stroud, Ohio State - Jack Easterby is finally out of HOU, so Caserio wants his QB to build around.

3-      Carolina Panthers: EDGE Will Anderson, Alabama - With the top 2 QBs being off the board CAR goes to the best talent in the draft.

4-      Philadelphia Eagles (via New Orleans Saints): EDGE Myles Murphy, Clemson - Two young DTs, likely to see Hargrave, Cox, and Quinn all cut and they try to add a young passrusher.

5-      Houston Texans (via Cleveland Browns): OT Peter Skoronski, Northwestern - With the potential franchise QB on board, HOU drives up interest by getting the hopeful LT for the next 10 years.

6-      Atlanta Falcons: OT Paris Johnson Jr., Ohio State - Ridder gets the nod in 2023 and they have Pitts and London. They will likely get a RB in FA and need another OT.

And finally...

7-      Chicago Bears: DT Jalen Carter (Georgia)

_large.jpeg

Bears have loaded up on offense and there isn’t a WR that warrants the top-10 pick. Bears get a potentially dominant DL, Poles hopes to find Chis Jones 2.0 in him. Carter has an awesome first step and has the potential to dominate at 3T that is as high as Tommie Harris, maybe even higher. He steps in and the passrush is immediately improved, and since we are one-gapping he isn't being mismatched for a role. He has been lined up all over the DL and honestly I would like to see him even get a few snaps at DE like what KC did with Chris Jones (who absolutely ate McGlinchey up when lined up on him). Carter has really strong hands but isn't just a bullrusher, it would be interesting to see what can be done with him in stunts since he can move laterally really well for a big guy. 

*** With PIT, JAX, LVR, and SEA all following the pick (in that order) the Bears don’t get a real offer or 1(7).

2(7) CB – Clark Phillips ll (Utah)

gettyimages-1235796655-612x612-1.jpeg

Phillips isn’t as big as you want and I know Gordon has been put as the NB but this kid is just a turnover machine. The ‘T’ in HITS is literally for Turnovers. Currently has 8 career INTs, 4 defensive TDs, and has played on outside and inside. I thinkl some of his size concerns are overrate due to his athleticism and quick twitch. He is about the same size as White, Ward, and Alexander so I am fine with him adding another 5-10 pounds over the next year or two and being done. If Jaylon re-signs then we have an uber-talented CB trio, if he leaves in 2024 then we have two very talented kids to grow and fill in around. With how today's game is so heavily slanted towards passing attacks, having more talented CBs is always a plus.

3(7) WR – Rakim Jarrett (Maryland)

maryland-wide-receiver-rakim-jarrett-run

We have the X in Ridley (though he moves to the slot as well), we have the Z in Mooney, but we don’t have the true Y receiver, the guy who gets the Welker/Edelman safety net. Jarrett is a guy who has a running back build, and with the ball in his hands he looks like one. While Jarrett does a good job making people miss he also has to catch a LOT of passes that were either behind him, short, or where he sat in a zone and had to jump for the ball – knowing he was going to take a hit. I think with a better QB he could be a really good player. Plus how many times have I talked about needing WRs to get YAC on here? Jarrett does it as well as anyone in the class. Dude averaged 7.6 YAC for his career prior to this season.

4(7) TE Arik Gilbert (Georgia)

Arik-Gilbert-2.jpg

Time to start swinging on projections. I have been a massive critic of Kmet but I will say he has developed into a good blocker. His receiving is still mediocre, which was the biggest reason I hated the pick in the 2nd. Gilbert is a freakish athlete and was the highest rated TE ever in 247Sports Composite and the first true TE to win the Gatorade National Player of the Year award. With his size and movement he SHOULD be a first rounder but after transferring to Georgia from LSU he missed the whole season for personal issues. Then this year has just started dressing and has 2 catches for 16 yards and 1 TD. Gilbert can be the big receiving TE we haven’t had since Olsen was lining up for us, and physically Gilbert is even more gifted.

5(7) CB/S Riley Moss (Iowa)

137a6408.jpg

Admittedly I don’t know exactly what to do with 33 but have a bit of a soft spot for him. He is another ballhawk who has 2 or 4 INTs each season prior to this and is way more athletic than you would think. While not a real physical thumper in any way he is more than willing to stick his nose into contact. Actually does a really good job of wrapping  and rolling with someone’s leg. If Jaylon moves on in 2024 then Riley might be able to step into an outside role or – and my preference – he gets rotated in the backfield in a hybrid role. After the rookie year of getting acclimated to the speed of the game he may be able to take over EJax’s spot if he is cut in the 2024 season.  He doesn’t do almost any press from what I have seen but excels in planting and coming up from soft coverage. Having a safety that does well in man also means Brisker could stay at SS where he looks completely at home.

7(7) WR/TE Jake Bobo (Duke)

1192952-sp-ucla-washington-gmf.jpg

Guy would rank higher but he is 24 and likely going to become a TE. He is simply a player. Being a big bodied WR he has shown he is he will compete with anyone. While playing 3 straight top 25 teams (#10 Oregon, #15 Washington, and #11 Utah) he compiled 17 catches, 265 yards, and 5 TDs (was overthrown on 1-2 TD opps too). He will be able to eventually work against the press coverage at the X but I would have an end goal for him to add 20 pounds to be a flex TE or a big Mike Evans-type role. I see a lot of Darren Waller in his game, though clearly I’m not saying Bobo will ever get near that level. Not a burner by any stretch of the imagination but actually is pretty damn fast off the snap and shifty after the catch.

Depth Chart

QB – Fields, Siemian

HB – Barkley, Herbert, Ebner

FB – Blasingaime

WR – Ridley, Mooney, Jarrett, V. Jones, St. Brown, Harry, Bobo

TE- Kmet, Gilbert (flex), Howard, Tonges

LT – Jones, Leatherwood (S)

LG – Borom

C – Pocic, Mustipher, Kramer

RG – Jenkins, Carter/Thomas

RT – Conklin

LE – Allen

3T – Carter, Ward, Blackson        

NT – Reed, Hankins

RE – Gipson, Robinson, Jonathan

SAM – Vander Esch (J. Smith), Morrow

MIKE – Walker/J. Smith, Sanborn

WILL – R. Smith, Weatherford

CB – Johnson, Peterson, Vildor

NB – Gordon, Moss, Hicks

FS – Jackson, (Moss) J. Jones

SS – Brisker, Houston-Carson

K – Santos

P – Gill

LS – Scales

• Like 2

I like this for the most part which means it won't come close to happening. The only thing I question is if they are signing Pocic why are they re-signing Mustardman, Kramer or another UDFA should be able to fill that roll especially with the rest of the OL seemingly getting upgraded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

I like this for the most part which means it won't come close to happening. The only thing I question is if they are signing Pocic why are they re-signing Mustardman, Kramer or another UDFA should be able to fill that roll especially with the rest of the OL seemingly getting upgraded.

Idk if Kramer is strong enough to anchor so another year to get stronger. Mustardman is cheap and knows the calls so one year as a backup while Kramer develops. 

That being said he would have to beat Kramer out for the spot. The depth chart has a lot of position battles I didn't notate like usual for some reason.

I'll add that tonight

• Like 1

Firstly well done on the effort you put into this…they aren’t quick then you put this much details in…

In terms of your cuts I can see a scenario where Whitehair & Muhammad are cut given their cost and I have the same move being made in my mock…Patrick is one I go back and forward on as while he has struggled he has barely played the position he was brought here to play and I think Flus really values what he brings to the position room in terms of leadership so I reckon he survives…no way I see Justin Jones being cut…he is still relatively cheap, has been our best player on the interior and again is a locker room leader.

Tagging Roquan is the smart play…I have us making most of the resignings and cuts you do…

Not sure I would give up a 4th for Ridley at this point…too many unknowns…I do like the idea of being aggressive and trading for a WR if the price and player is right…

I don’t think you will find a bigger Saquon fan than me but giving him a contract like that scares the life out of me…the talent is still off the charts but I just worry about the injury history and can’t see why the Giants who have plenty of cap space themselves next season let him walk…Conklin is the exact same for me…great RT in this league but health is an issue…Pocic at that price would be a solid pick up…Allen is a guy I have in my mock and while I think he gets more money than you have him getting here I think he would be an ideal UT in our rotation…Reed would be a solid add at NT…LVE would be a good signing as well…injury history again is a bit of a worry but the connection to Flus makes him an obvious fit…wouldn’t want any part of Jaylon Smith at this point…injury have just made him way to slow to be effective…Walker is another guy with Flus connections that would be a solid fit…I wouldn’t go after Howard…looks like he is just a bust…Ward seems to have found a home in NY and I think we would struggle to get him out of there…Paterson & Hankins are guys I would probably pass on…

In terms of the draft getting Carter at #7 would be a total steal…Phillips is a player I like but I am not sure he has the size or length that Flus/Williams like…huge fan of Jarrett and think he would be a really goof fit in this scheme and have been in and out of my mock as well…Gilbert in the 4th would be well worth the risk and again has been in and out of my mock…Moss would be a nice addition to the DB room…don’t know much about Bobo but can understand the position need…

All in all there would be some moves I would love and some I wouldn’t in this mock.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Firstly well done on the effort you put into this…they aren’t quick then you put this much details in…

Appreciate it. I enjoy the feedback a lot. 

In terms of your cuts I can see a scenario where Whitehair & Muhammad are cut given their cost and I have the same move being made in my mock…Patrick is one I go back and forward on as while he has struggled he has barely played the position he was brought here to play and I think Flus really values what he brings to the position room in terms of leadership so I reckon he survives…no way I see Justin Jones being cut…he is still relatively cheap, has been our best player on the interior and again is a locker room leader.

Feiw I believe Jones and Patrick are Bears in 2023. Jones has been a pleasant surprise but I think is the the defensive version of Garza - if he is the worst player starting on your line you're doing great, but if he is the best you've failed miserably. Idk who that would be on the DL for a more apt comparison. Maybe Lamarr Houston? 

Im not opposed to bringing him back i just think his ceiling isnt going to be much higher than what we've seen right now. Mayne with more talent around him he gets easier opportunities to make impact plays. 

Tagging Roquan is the smart play…I have us making most of the resignings and cuts you do…

Not sure I would give up a 4th for Ridley at this point…too many unknowns…I do like the idea of being aggressive and trading for a WR if the price and player is right…

This one i strugggled with. After getting a 3rd rounder and change for Toney I couldn't figure out who else to trade for. Per reports (however inaccurate they may be) Jeudy was being dangled for a 2nd and Claypool was at least as much. Then looking at draft picks we haven't had a 4th outside of EJax staybon the team. Plus it's kind of neat to think that we wasted a 4th for one Ridley but might have a true number one WR for a different 4th. Lol

I don’t think you will find a bigger Saquon fan than me but giving him a contract like that scares the life out of me…the talent is still off the charts but I just worry about the injury history and can’t see why the Giants who have plenty of cap space themselves next season let him walk…

Yep. It was originally Hunt for $8.5 mil aav for 4 years but I decided to go for broke. This deal works out to be a 2 year commitment to Barkley and if he is healthy them you have him for what may be "pennies" as some guys get paid. Definitely a major gamble though. 

Conklin is the exact same for me…great RT in this league but health is an issue…

Agreed. Could probably get him cheaper but I think him and Pocic being brought in together helps lure Pocic. Plus I originally had Jenkins from GB but he has been dreadful for the little I've seen him this year. McGlinchey hasn't looked good either imo. 

Pocic at that price would be a solid pick up…Allen is a guy I have in my mock and while I think he gets more money than you have him getting here I think he would be an ideal UT in our rotation…

He might be shooting up the boards. Kind of reminds me of McPhee. He's not as brutally strong but the effort is great and he is stout. I like his ability to play either so it didn't force our hand in the draft, really allows us to attack the BPA. 

Reed would be a solid add at NT…LVE would be a good signing as well…injury history again is a bit of a worry but the connection to Flus makes him an obvious fit…wouldn’t want any part of Jaylon Smith at this point…injury have just made him way to slow to be effective…

Smith would be a 2 down rental. I expect Walker to take the spot and him to be a veteran figure for Sanborn and Weatherford. Likely a 2024 cut. 

Walker is another guy with Flus connections that would be a solid fit…I wouldn’t go after Howard…looks like he is just a bust…

Howard is purely a blocker fwiw. I'm not counting on him to be anything other than to fill the Mercedes Lewis role if Kmet is going to move more. His draft position means nothing at this point. I'd actually try him at FB if KB hadn't looked so good this season. 

Ward seems to have found a home in NY and I think we would struggle to get him out of there…

Agreed. I'll take my shot but if he's locked up I won't be surprised. 

Paterson & Hankins are guys I would probably pass on…

Peterson has no guarantees so he may get cut before the season. I wasn't sure who to add as a veteran presence who might end up playing some time. Hankins literally is only there because Poles gave up on Tonga prematurely. Still a little bitter about that. Lol

In terms of the draft getting Carter at #7 would be a total steal…

Honestly wanted to trade back but it was hard to when I saw him there. Bryan Breesee being injured makes him too dangerous to take in the top 10 and I was worried Ringo would be taken too. With the additions to OL there wasn't someone needed and no WR stands out enough to me. 

Phillips is a player I like but I am not sure he has the size or length that Flus/Williams like…

Yeah, but the kid is a ball hawking player. If he was 6'1" and 200 he would be looked at in the top 15 imo. At some point results have to be looked at compared to desired physical traits. 

huge fan of Jarrett and think he would be a really goof fit in this scheme and have been in and out of my mock as well…Gilbert in the 4th would be well worth the risk and again has been in and out of my mock…Moss would be a nice addition to the DB room…don’t know much about Bobo but can understand the position need…

Played at Duke until he finished his degree. If he was a player at a better school like UCLA or better I think he is a 4th round talent. But being older and just now making an impact kills his value. Likely becomes a priority UFA. That being said I'd at minimum take him for the PS, as he would be perfect to make DBs work against on endzone fades. 

All in all there would be some moves I would love and some I wouldn’t in this mock.

It's all good. I appreciate all the feedback, that's my favorite part of doing mocks. 

Love the OL work, particularly Conklin and someone, literally anyone to replace mustipher at center. Love picking up Saquon too, kid is an elite talent.  That said, I'd also feel forced to try and snag a guy later in the draft at RB as well.. Ebner hasn't shown much, and Saquon's health is a concern.

You've also substantially beefed up the DL (and I LOVE the Carter pick for a penetrating 3T)

My enthusiasm wanes a bit on the WR side of things. I get the moves you've made, and you're kind of hamstrung by how heavy you hit the other areas of substantial need..... but I can't trust Ridley, and was kind of hoping for a bigger "splash" there.

That all said, honestly just the OL/DL improvements alone and adding Barkley would --==DRAMATICALLY==-- change this offense's potential.   And I'd be extremely happy just on those changes.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 7:36 AM, Sugashane said:

Mustipher

Boo this man

Calvin Ridley

Would have to evaluate where he is mentally. Before the year off, was he worth a 4th? His talent isn’t a question, but his head is. I think if he figures out how to put it together, he’s a worthy pickup, which immediately amplifies Mooney’s effectiveness too. 

to try and build around their young core

it’s “corps”. Y’all are killing me. 

Saquon Barkley

that money assumes he’s healthy throughout that contract and that NYG is okay with moving in without him. I just don’t see it. He’s having a good year, but has played 28/48 games since his rookie year (not including this season). It sounds fun in theory, a dominant running attack, but not viable for a couple different reasons. 

Leighton Vander Esch

Another guy I wouldn’t want to touch, more injury prone than Barkley. We can’t upgrade past the last guys if the last guys have to play most of the game when the new guy goes down 

Jaylon Smith

He’s actually terrible. Like unusably terrible. Have to wonder if Sanborn embarrasses you the same for less money. 

OJ Howard

he’s been wildly overrated his whole career. With the acquisition of Gilbert, I don’t know what the plan is with Howard. That would ensure Kmet is still the #1 guy for another year or two. 

Arik Gilbert

I am pretty curious about him as a prospect. He is second fiddle to a younger player in Bowers, but Bowers looks to be a generational talent. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Boo this man

You make me root against Rudy. 

7 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Would have to evaluate where he is mentally. Before the year off, was he worth a 4th? His talent isn’t a question, but his head is. I think if he figures out how to put it together, he’s a worthy pickup, which immediately amplifies Mooney’s effectiveness too. 

The 4th isn't a concern for me. We would want to wait to extend him after getting at least half a season with him though. I'm fine with taking a shot at a high talent rental. Hell if OBJ would I would sign him for a few years right now and put him on IR to ensure he was back in 2023 for Fields. Pending a physical of course. Idk if he is healing well. 

7 hours ago, Ty21 said:

he’s been wildly overrated his whole career. With the acquisition of Gilbert, I don’t know what the plan is with Howard. That would ensure Kmet is still the #1 guy for another year or two.

There's a reason he is so cheap. Lol. He is just a blocker, in case Kmet goes down or if Kmet is being used as the move end. I'm not counting on him for anything on the passing game. Plus if Kmet leaves in 2024 he has one year here as the primary blocking end while Gilbert gets to run routes. 

7 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I am pretty curious about him as a prospect. He is second fiddle to a younger player in Bowers, but Bowers looks to be a generational talent. 

Talent is there but idk if he is a head case or not. From 4th on I start looking at picks as home run swings or long term projects so I'm willing to take the shot. 

If I had stuck to the original draft of the offseason with Hunt being the signing for something like 4 years, $38 mil you would have been opposed to that? Or is there a target you would have preferred? 

52 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

If I had stuck to the original draft of the offseason with Hunt being the signing for something like 4 years, $38 mil you would have been opposed to that? Or is there a target you would have preferred? 

16 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Never pay RBs.

Never never pay RBs when your QB is a dynamic runner.

I am a fan of Tony Pollard but I’d agree with the latter post. Bears have a pretty decent track record of having good rbs over the years and almost all were drafted by us. The most notable exception to me is Thomas Jones. It then becomes a question of: Is Khalil Herbert capable of taking the majority of the load or is he best utilized as the spell back that breaks off runs. In the former, a mid round pick could be sufficient in getting his alternate while the latter might demand a higher quality guy. That money to Hunt though is #1 back money and the bears are showing that a split backfield can suit them well.