Week 8- Miami Dolphins @ Detroit Lions

Louis Friend

This was my first Lions game where I could watch since week 1. 

Nothing has really changed in terms of the outcomes - it's the same old story. We're going to need another guy at WR - really hoping that Jamo is the one. I'm hoping that we're in a position where Will Anderson is the only pick and we can then add another defensive player with our other 1st round pick. We shouldn't be putting up over 25 points and having a double digit lead to then be fighting back and being forced to convert a 4th down in order to try and win the game. 

I'm annoyed at Goff for trying that deep shot. We needed two yards in order to potentially win the game. 

15 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Keep Okudah, Kerby Joseph and Tracy Walker if he gets healthy, and dump everyone else in the secondary. Also, my approval rating on the whole coaching staff is solidly in "fire at end of season" territory 

Yeah, the growth from the coaching staff last year down the stretch had me drinking the Kool-Aid.  Then Hard Knocks made it worse but the staff as a whole still just struggles to create game plans that work and are unable to adjust when they need to.  If the other team is not doing exactly what we expected, we can't move the ball. 

We again got beat in TOP 35 to 25.  Our scoring drives were quick hitters and each of our first three drives took just over 2 mins and 5 or 6 plays.  In the second half we went 5 plays punt and 5 plays punt and they also only took 2 mins each before a longer drive on our final drive that obviously ended in a turnover on downs.  We can't keep doing that to our defense and being mad at the D when they are on the field so much.  The D played pretty well IMO against a really high powered offense but they were gassed down the stretch.  We have to figure out how to control the game and it shocks me that the coaches still don't see it and adjust.    

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Yeah, the growth from the coaching staff last year down the stretch had me drinking the Kool-Aid.  Then Hard Knocks made it worse but the staff as a whole still just struggles to create game plans that work and are unable to adjust when they need to.  If the other team is not doing exactly what we expected, we can't move the ball. 

We again got beat in TOP 35 to 25.  Our scoring drives were quick hitters and each of our first three drives took just over 2 mins and 5 or 6 plays.  In the second half we went 5 plays punt and 5 plays punt and they also only took 2 mins each before a longer drive on our final drive that obviously ended in a turnover on downs.  We can't keep doing that to our defense and being mad at the D when they are on the field so much.  The D played pretty well IMO against a really high powered offense but they were gassed down the stretch.  We have to figure out how to control the game and it shocks me that the coaches still don't see it and adjust.    

The halftime adjustments (or lack of) really seem to be a huge issue for this staff. There's a reason that we come out strong in the first half for most of the games and then just seem to have the wheels fall off in the second half. 

This defense is just the sum of all its parts with everyone having some of the blame

- Pleasant: He's supposed to be the DB guru and this is arguably our biggest weakness on the team. Injuries are one thing but we're seeing guys that we were counting on regressing (outside of Okudah). 

- Glenn: We only adjusted our scheme and tried to put our #2 overall pick in the best position for himself after we were in a huge hole when the bye came around. I just don't know if we have the horses to really make anything happen over the rest of this season. 

- Holmes: He's only added two guys to the secondary via the draft (Iffy and Kerby). One seems to show some promise while the other is trending towards offering nothing to this team. He brought in Mike Hughes and some other guys that really aren't adding anything. Defensive back seems like it could be Holmes' kryptonite. The addition of guys like Parker and Jacobs last year would have made me think otherwise. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

The halftime adjustments (or lack of) really seem to be a huge issue for this staff. There's a reason that we come out strong in the first half for most of the games and then just seem to have the wheels fall off in the second half. 

This defense is just the sum of all its parts with everyone having some of the blame

- Pleasant: He's supposed to be the DB guru and this is arguably our biggest weakness on the team. Injuries are one thing but we're seeing guys that we were counting on regressing (outside of Okudah). 

- Glenn: We only adjusted our scheme and tried to put our #2 overall pick in the best position for himself after we were in a huge hole when the bye came around. I just don't know if we have the horses to really make anything happen over the rest of this season. 

- Holmes: He's only added two guys to the secondary via the draft (Iffy and Kerby). One seems to show some promise while the other is trending towards offering nothing to this team. He brought in Mike Hughes and some other guys that really aren't adding anything. Defensive back seems like it could be Holmes' kryptonite. The addition of guys like Parker and Jacobs last year would have made me think otherwise. 

The problem with our DB's is they excel at different things it seems.  AO had a good year last year in a zone centric scheme, along with Jacobs and Parker.  Okudah is trash in a zone but has played pretty well in a man scheme.  Same goes for our front 5-7.  We had guys like Harris and McNeil look good in a 3-4 last year and then we draft a really good OLB but switch to a 4-3 and now we get less pressure than last year.  It seems we are a team of mismatching parts and because of that, we dont have a scheme that fits our players.  I put that on Holmes and Glenn as they are evaluating the players and what they are good at and we need to have some direction to focus on which players to add.  

I thought Pleasant and Glenn would definitely help our DBs more than they have at this point.  I also thought Holmes would add more (he also added Chase Lucas this year but thats a late round pick) but I can see why he didn't dump a ton of resources after having some progress last year with AO, Jacobs and Parker and getting Okudah back.  But again, the scheme changed so its hard to figure out what it is Holmes should be looking for when drafting DBs.  

• Like 2