Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

2 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

If Myles Murphy and/or LVN are sitting there at 15 who do you take?   

I trade back. Murphy is just like 10 other EDGE rushers in the draft. He's not off the charts athletically and isn't dominant rushing the passer. LVN is a workout warrior. 

Foskey, Hall, McDonald and other quality rushers available late 1 to mid round 2. 

7 minutes ago, R T said:

Agree that JSN would not be over drafted at 15 and think he would fit in well with the Packers (Greg Jennings 2.0) but agree that it is doubtful the Packers select him. But disagree with this notion that people want to lump him in with the small WR's of a year ago. Dotson weighed 178, Williams 179, the other 2 were in the 180's, JSN is 6'1/2"/196 and well within the Packers thresholds for WR's. 

JSN is a 10% larger human than Dotson or Williams is. That is a big deal in the MLF offense. 

JSN is half an inch too short, and 4 pounds too light to meet the established "rule" for our WRs.  I harp on it because I am just trying to predict what they will do.  JSN is super close to the cut off, and Randall Cobb hits neither height, nor weight so it isn't a hard rule.  Bo Melton is also under the parameters at 5'11 189.  And unless we call Tavon Austin a RB, he was like 5'4 110 or something.

Greg Jennings is a very good comp for JSN though.

38 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I trade back. Murphy is just like 10 other EDGE rushers in the draft. He's not off the charts athletically and isn't dominant rushing the passer. LVN is a workout warrior. 

Foskey, Hall, McDonald and other quality rushers available late 1 to mid round 2. 

LVN is clear tiers above all you listed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

LVN is clear tiers above all you listed. 

As an athlete but hasn't shown up on the field that much. 

I'd rather trade down from 15 and get two of the guys I listed in round 2. 

Edited by Old Guy

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Not sure you've watched him much if you say that, most naturally powerful edge player in this class.

I'll take Hall and Foskey and take my chances over the duration of their careers. Hall's 10-yard split was pretty ridiculous. That was Bill Parcells thing when looking at pass rushers. 

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

JSN is half an inch too short, and 4 pounds too light to meet the established "rule" for our WRs.  I harp on it because I am just trying to predict what they will do.  JSN is super close to the cut off, and Randall Cobb hits neither height, nor weight so it isn't a hard rule.  Bo Melton is also under the parameters at 5'11 189.  And unless we call Tavon Austin a RB, he was like 5'4 110 or something.

Greg Jennings is a very good comp for JSN though.

There is a difference between investing draft capital in a player and adding a waiver claim or street free agent for a look see like Melton or Austin.

Nothing is such a hard rule that there can't be an exception to the rule, but I don't believe that JSN is under their thresholds. Ron Wolf was a 6'/190 or larger guy, I'm guessing over the last 30 years the weight part of that has inched up, but doubt they view him as to light. 

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'll take Hall and Foskey and take my chances over the duration of their careers. Hall's 10-yard split was pretty ridiculous. That was Bill Parcells thing when looking at pass rushers. 

1.59 is decent, not ridiculous. Clay's 1.49 was ridiculous.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Not sure you've watched him much if you say that, most naturally powerful edge player in this class.

Agree, the idea of a healthy Gary and Van Ness crushing the pocket from both edges should be enough to get a Packer fan a woody.  

15 minutes ago, R T said:

There is a difference between investing draft capital in a player and adding a waiver claim or street free agent for a look see like Melton or Austin.

Nothing is such a hard rule that there can't be an exception to the rule, but I don't believe that JSN is under their thresholds. Ron Wolf was a 6'/190 or larger guy, I'm guessing over the last 30 years the weight part of that has inched up, but doubt they view him as to light. 

I am just looking at Gute's guys.  All WRs added have been 6'1 or taller and/or 200 lbs or more.  Exceptions: Bo Melton, Randall Cobb, Tavon Austin, Darrius Shepherd, and I want to say there was another guy we added from the Ravens, but I don't recall his name.  All draft picks have been over these numbers, and all UDFAs besides the aforementioned were as well.  If you exclude Amari Rodgers, Gute's shortest WR draftee was Romeo Doubs, at 6'2.  And extending to TT, I believe the exceptions to those numbers (on draft picks) were Greg Jennings (who like JSN was really close) and Randall Cobb.

Don't get me wrong, I am not invested in the rule, if it changes, it changes.  I am just looking at patterns.  And it doesn't necessarily mean that they crossed off JSN if we take someone else over him, when we are on the clock.  And even with JSN, I am not sure the "rule" doesn't stay, and he is a near exception, kind of like Jaire Alexander on the CB size.  What would shatter it would be if we take Flowers, Downs, or Tank Dell.

33 minutes ago, R T said:

Agree, the idea of a healthy Gary and Van Ness crushing the pocket from both edges should be enough to get a Packer fan a woody.  

I think I like Van Ness as a hand in the dirt DE with Gary rushing off the same edge, right behind him.  I just wonder if Van Ness is consistently stout enough to handle that in the NFL without gaining weight and losing some burst.