Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

On 3/26/2023 at 7:58 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

Nolan Smith is smaller than Nick Barnett.

Is he? Internet say Barnett is 6’2” 228lbs… and Nolan is 6’3” 236lbs.

Not a massive difference… but he isn’t “smaller”.

Edited by Green19

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Good stuff. He definitely flashes some eliteness on the field. Seems like he should be more highly regarded by his "highs", so your take makes sense to me.

I'm always a sucker for high ceiling guys, he seems to have a great attitude as well from everything I could find so he's a type I'd place a bet on if the value lines up.

I mean. how?????

Are you just in love with the athlete from the combine?

Or the 38 games played and 63 solo tackles, 47 assists, 12.5 sacks?  

The production is so very, very low for him.

I get the athlete, I see how light and small he is.

We are talking about a top 15 pick here.  

And I don't think he's a good enough pass rusher to play edge for us.  We already have two ILB's.  Can he cover and be a strong safety?  Is he a pure Will in a 4-3?

I see @Packerraymond talking about using him like Parsons, but I just don't get Parsons vibes from him.  The hands, physicality, violence....etc.  

I don't see the same size, either, though when I looked up Parson, they are around the same weight.  Parsons just seems so much larger, and maybe because he is just that more physical.

I really have no idea how to project this guy to today's NFL.

Edited by vegas492

19 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I mean. how?????

Are you just in love with the athlete from the combine?

Or the 38 games played and 63 solo tackles, 47 assists, 12.5 sacks?  

The production is so very, very low for him.

I get the athlete, I see how light and small he is.

We are talking about a top 15 pick here.  

And I don't think he's a good enough pass rusher to play edge for us.  We already have two ILB's.  Can he cover and be a strong safety?  Is he a pure Will in a 4-3?

I see @Packerraymond talking about using him like Parsons, but I just don't get Parsons vibes from him.  The hands, physicality, violence....etc.  

I don't see the same size, either, though when I looked up Parson, they are around the same weight.  Parsons just seems so much larger, and maybe because he is just that more physical.

He's had more than 2x as many sacks as CMIII had at USC!

I mean how could you not look twice at the leader of the Georgia defense who then absolutely blows the combine out of the water. And that closer look shower me that Smith is definitely capable of embarrassing SEC OTs in a number of ways. 

I don't too invested in college production. Too many variables. Smith became a leader on the Georgia defense and is an incredible athlete and has shown the ability to dominate at times.

He seems like a really really REALLY high ceiling player. His body type is the same as CMIII and Von Miller as well. Miller had a few more lbs on him and slightly longer arms. Smith is significantly more explosive.

Edited by incognito_man

23 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He's had more than 2x as many sacks as CMIII had at USC!

I mean how could you not look twice at the leader of the Georgia defense who then absolutely blows the combine out of the water. And that closer look shower me that Smith is definitely capable of embarrassing SEC OTs in a number of ways. 

I don't too invested in college production. Too many variables. Smith became a leader on the Georgia defense and is an incredible athlete and has shown the ability to dominate at times.

He seems like a really really REALLY high ceiling player. His body type is the same as CMIII and Von Miller as well. Miller had a few more lbs on him and slightly longer arms. Smith is significantly more explosive.

Wait, I was told that Quay was the leader of that defense last year.

So you are projecting him to the pros based on his combine and reading that he was a leader for a year.

Got it.

Faith.  Maybe you are right.  Maybe he didn't make many plays in college, because, because, because....he didn't have to?  But he will in the pros because CM3 and VM did with similar body types?

I always like shiny things.  He's a shiny thing.  

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Wait, I was told that Quay was the leader of that defense last year.

So you are projecting him to the pros based on his combine and reading that he was a leader for a year.

Got it.

Faith.  Maybe you are right.  Maybe he didn't make many plays in college, because, because, because....he didn't have to?  But he will in the pros because CM3 and VM did with similar body types?

I always like shiny things.  He's a shiny thing.  

You are correct that college production is not the best measuring stick. I agree. 

Just now, incognito_man said:

You are correct that college production is not the best measuring stick. I agree. 

You bet.  Especially when drafting in the top half of the round.

Hey, I'm with yah, I love shiny things that move fast.  He moves fast.

You've just given me zero evidence to suggest that he will be a player beyond faith.

And faith worked with Gary, though he had the size to go with it.

The more and more I look at this draft, the less I like it.  Could be prospect fatigue, though that would mean it is setting in early this year.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

You bet.  Especially when drafting in the top half of the round.

Hey, I'm with yah, I love shiny things that move fast.  He moves fast.

You've just given me zero evidence to suggest that he will be a player beyond faith.

And faith worked with Gary, though he had the size to go with it.

The more and more I look at this draft, the less I like it.  Could be prospect fatigue, though that would mean it is setting in early this year.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nolan-smith-edge-georgia-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/amp/

I'd bet on him. I think he's going to be a guy that will go higher in a 2023 redraft in 4 years than he goes in the actual draft.

24 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nolan-smith-edge-georgia-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/amp/

I'd bet on him. I think he's going to be a guy that will go higher in a 2023 redraft in 4 years than he goes in the actual draft.

He'd be fine ... awesome athlete that is also said to be a strong leader.  We could use some of that.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

"fringe top 50 grade".

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/nolan-smith/3200534d-4953-6848-fd4d-2f73557d06ca

"will eventually become a plus starter"

This is just a tough guy for me to love...and hate.  I like fast shiny things and he's explosive.  But not much production, even in tackles.  For a lot of his rushes, he wants to bull rush, but he's not strong enough, nor is he long enough.

Highlights:  Lots of highlights are unblocked plays.  Nice schemes to get him free.  Others are him 1:1 with a tight end, who stood no chance.  Again, nice scheme.

I've seen him enough to know the athlete is there.  I'll even take a coaches word for it that he was a leader last year.  This is pick 13 or 15.  When picking there, you gotta check some boxes for what we typically want, right?

Size:  Not quite.  Power:  No really.  Production:  Not really.  Athlete:  HELL YEAH!  

Tell yah what...this is EXACTLY the guy that I want GB to move up for in the end of the first round, or top of the second round, when they get all those picks from NYJ.   ...and after we've drafted JSN or QJ earlier.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why?

Tom was above average as a rookie at LT. Myers was a 2nd round pick. No one should love Tom at center. We should want Myers to progress and Tom to stay at OT.

I said if we go OT in round 1. You're upgrading at both positions regardless of whether Tom can adequately play OT. I hope Myers can keep his job but it shouldn't be handed to him this season.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I said if we go OT in round 1. You're upgrading at both positions regardless of whether Tom can adequately play OT. I hope Myers can keep his job but it shouldn't be handed to him this season.

Honestly, would take year 2 Zach Tom over any OT in this draft. He was a top 50 player to me last year, and he's better than even I thought.