Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

15 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I remember I literally LOL'd when MIN drafted Jefferson because I thought they reached.

I also really liked the Justin Harrell pick, mostly because we were linked hard to Robert Meachem, who I knew was going to bust.  At that point they could have drafted anybody not named Robert Meachem and I would have been happy.  

There was also some draft where the Packers didn't take Heath Miller in the first.  Complete idiots.  No wonder that Thompson guy isn't the GM any more.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

he's just not a YAC threat that warrants a first round pick.

He's literally the best YAC guy in the draft. He averaged 8.3 YAC yards per reception on 95 receptions in 2021. 790 YAC yards IRRC. To give you a comparison, Zay Flowers only had 503 YAC yards in 2022 and I doubt you'd question his YAC ability.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

He's literally the best YAC guy in the draft. He averaged 8.3 YAC yards per reception on 95 receptions in 2021. 790 YAC yards IRRC. To give you a comparison, Zay Flowers only had 503 YAC yards in 2022 and I doubt you'd question his YAC ability.

College YAC is different than NFL YAC. JSN is a really good college football player. I don't see his skill-set transitioning that well into the NFL.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I love JSN, but I agree with you concerning his talent versus the draft position.  When drafting higher, you want more from a WR.  Prototypical size/speed....etc.  JSN has the elite quickness and stuff like that, but just not quite the size and speed that you ideally want higher in the first round.

To be fair?  I'd still take him at our pick, because he is a crush of mine, but I very much get what you are saying.

Chris Olave just went 11th in a draft stronger at WR. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

College YAC is different than NFL YAC. JSN is a really good college football player. I don't see his skill-set transitioning that well into the NFL.

It's both the fact that the hashes are significantly wider (so there's a LOT of room on the field side) and the DB play is much much worse.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

But is it so different that someone you think is the only 1st round WR would have almost 300 yards less in YAC in a weaker conference? Explain to me how Flowers YAC ability translates but JSN's doesn't? 8.3 YAC in the B1G vs 6.5 YAC in the ACC. Both are elite COD guys. You're just infatuated with top end speed.

JSN's skill set is literally ideal for the modern day version of the NFL. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Chris Olave just went 11th in a draft stronger at WR. 

Chris Olave has ELITE speed. 4.39 40 and an astonishing 1.45 10yd split.

I get the JSN appeal, I do. I don't disagree with most of this from Feldman and Hartline. But there's something just a little off. He doesn't jump out to me at all. 

I’ll be stunned if Jaxon Smith-Njigba doesn’t have a bunch of 100-catch seasons in the NFL, and I think he’ll go higher than I’ve seen him on some early mock drafts. Of all the wonderful Ohio State receivers that have come out of Brian Hartline’s room in the past few years, rival coaches I spoke to thought he was the best prospect to this point. (Marvin Harrison Jr. will surpass them all next year, but he’s not draft eligible yet.)

At 6-1, 196, Smith-Njigba is the closest thing to a sure thing in this year’s receiver crop. Last year, the Buckeyes produced two first-round wideouts in Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave, and both were 1,000-plus-yard receivers as NFL rookies. According to the coaches we’ve spoken to who faced all three of them, Smith-Njigba is much more physical and has better change of direction than Wilson and Olave.

There has been some skepticism about Smith-Njigba’s speed, but his quickness is elite, and he displayed that in Indy. His 20-yard shuttle time of 3.93 seconds was the fastest by a receiver at the combine since 2013, and his 3-cone drill time of 6.57 seconds was better than anyone at this year’s combine

Hartline, a former NFL receiver himself, wasn’t surprised at all. “Jax has a great feel of the game within the game, start there,” Hartline told The Athletic on Monday. “He knows how to use his body and how to win at the end of the play with whatever the job description is. There’s kind of a knack for that. Some guys just get it. As coaches we can try to enhance that, but from Day One, he always had that knack. There’s just something a little different for what Jax does.

“His change of direction is definitely the best that I’ve had. Garrett was pretty explosive. They all have their own niches, but when he changes direction out of a break, he doesn’t slow down. This game is really all about change of direction, and his is different, and I think it’ll be really hard for anybody to keep up with him when he changes direction because he is that elite at it, and that literally is the common denominator for creating separation in football.

“He’s kind of unguardable. He’ll be über-productive in the NFL. I think he will be a guy that leads the league in receptions and receiving yards. No one’s gonna be shocked. That’s just who he is, and he’s only gotten better, Like C.J. (Stroud) said, he’s the quarterback’s best friend.”

https://theathletic.com/4281870/2023/03/07/nfl-combine-takeaways-jaxon-smith-njigba-cj-stroud/

I wonder if the Packers are less inclined to go for a big fast WR because they already have Watson in house- he whole "you're assembling a basketball team" model for building a WR room.  On the other hand, this also lets you discount the problem that Quentin Johnston "plays small" (a thing that is probably correctable) because he is big and fast.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The NFL is. For good reason.

This is your answer. 

Well then, I guess we should just draft purely on top end speed going forward. **** the little things that make guys special.

I'm being facetious before you turn this into something it's not btw. Just no other reason to answer this post other than that way. 

Edited by beekay414

14 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

But is it so different that someone you think is the only 1st round WR would have almost 300 yards less in YAC in a weaker conference? Explain to me how Flowers YAC ability translates but JSN's doesn't? 8.3 YAC in the B1G vs 6.5 YAC in the ACC. Both are elite COD guys. You're just infatuated with top end speed.

JSN's skill set is literally ideal for the modern day version of the NFL. 

Flowers ADOT is 13, JSN was 9 something. 

Flowers is clearly a superior YAC player on tape.

There's just so much more to the WR position than top end speed. Same as DB and RB. Top end speed should always be the thing that puts players over the top, not the thing that buries them. If you can't turn your hips as a DB, it doesn't matter if you run a 4.2 40. You're toast. If you can't block or find a hole at RB, it doesn't matter if you run a 4.2 40. 

Give me the 4.5 WR that has elite tools everywhere else over the 4.3 guy that can't touch him in 95% of the other things it takes to play the position (not a comparison to any specific prospects, just in general).

• Like 2