Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

Kincaid to me is basically just a big slot not a TE, since he basically can't do anything useful lined up as the Y.  Put that with the medical, and I'm out on him entirely.

Now the benefit of hitting on a TE is substantial, but the NFL has shown itself to not be very good at "sorting the TEs through the draft" (7 TEs went before Kittle, 4 TEs went before Kelce, 3 TEs went before Andrews including one to the team that drafted Andrews, etc.) so I'm leery about "who the consensus best TE is" since history shows that's wrong.

29 minutes ago, R T said:

I think that is the opposite of the way Gutes thinks. He is much more likely to stay put and take a tier one player at 15 and then package a couple of picks to move up from the second round to get another targeted prospect. 

Probably. Although this year, I'd prefer the bulk approach if it were up to me. When I'm on top and contending, my mentality is trade up and give up picks to hit a few instant contributors and even be willing to trade picks for players because you may be one or two guys away. When you're "retooling" or rebuilding, I would tend to operate the other way, get more picks and more bodies, especially in rounds 2-4. 

Edited by packfanfb

10 hours ago, incognito_man said:

His final is 8.08

That's definitely sufficient. 

He just plays a low-value position. The open question is how much of a premium we're adding to that position with the current team construction. It's our biggest need, unquestionably, and Mayer is BY FAR the most NFL ready TE in this deep class. 

not seeing the 8.08

https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=15426&ovl=Notre+Dame

It would be a decent amount lower RAS score for GB first round picks.  Savage is currently the lowest at 8.37

I agree with @incognito_man. When I watch Mayer, I don't see a plodder. He's actually open more often than I thought he'd be based on how people talk about him. He's a crisp route runner too. I really like him. A lot of the "contested catch" stuff was due to the QB play at ND IMO. Lot of late processing by those kids.

• Like 2

Going by premium positions for pick 15

• OT:  Jones, Johnson, Wright
    • I don't think Jones or Johnson make it to 15.  Wright might be available
  • EDGE:  Anderson, Wilson, Murphy, Van Ness, Smith, White
    • Anderson and Wilson are very unlikely to be available.  Murphy, Van Ness, Smith might be.  White likely is available
  • DL:  Carter, Bresee 
    • Carter probably not available.  Bresee probably will be available
  • CB:  Gonzalez, Witherspoon, Porter, Banks
    • Gonzalez and Witherspoon are unlikely to be available.  Porter and Banks probably are available

I don't see much of a chance that the following are available at 15....
Young, Stroud, Anderson, Carter, Wilson, Gonzalez Witherspoon, Jones, Johnson... that is 9 spots

Then you get the mix of Levis and Richardson pushing the number to 11.  Add in JSN, Bijan Robinson as possible picks before 15.  

I think the pool of players is from JSN, Johnston, Robinson, Murphy, Van Ness, Smith, White, Wright, Skoronski, Bresee, Porter, Banks, Branch

I am a no at pick 15 on Johnston, Robinson, Smith, Skoronski, Porter, Banks.  I don't like the value of any of the TE at 15.

So my pool would be down to JSN, Murphy, Van Ness, White, Wright, Bresee, Branch.  If there are 3-4 of those players available, I would be good with a trade down

• Like 1

11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Exercise for y'all...

Rank your top 5 players in this draft that would help Love the most in 2022. And why.

1. Jaxon Smith-Njigba - For obvious reasons.
2. Michael Mayer - Best TE in the draft and day 1 starter.
3. Bijan Robinson - A constant RB rotation of Jones, Dillon and Bijan would be a QB's best friend.
4. Paris Johnson Jr/Peter Skoronski/Darnell Wright - Cheating here and grouping the 3 OL guys I feel like would make our OL room the best in the league and giving Love security that would make Tom Brady blush.
5. Will Anderson Jr - An elite defense is another one of a young QB's best friends and adding a potential generational pass rusher aides in that effort.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I agree with @incognito_man. When I watch Mayer, I don't see a plodder. He's actually open more often than I thought he'd be based on how people talk about him. He's a crisp route runner too. I really like him. A lot of the "contested catch" stuff was due to the QB play at ND IMO. Lot of late processing by those kids.

That one-handed catch behind the DBs back is a play only an inherently natural pass catcher can make. That play moved him up a lot. I saw him differently after that. He looks thick in the open field, but also unexpectedly nimble for his size. I think he's just an efficient athlete so he plays relatively more athletically than he tests. Brian Branch is like that too for me. They're both natural football players. Mayer is a relatively better athlete though.

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

That one-handed catch behind the DBs back is a play only an inherently natural pass catcher can make. That play moved him up a lot. I saw him differently after that. He looks thick in the open field, but also unexpectedly nimble for his size. I think he's just an efficient athlete so he plays relatively more athletically than he tests. Brian Branch is like that too for me. They're both natural football players. Mayer is a relatively better athlete though.

The RZ TD where he put Daniel Scott in a blender with the foot drag had me giggling like a school girl.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Going by premium positions for pick 15

• OT:  Jones, Johnson, Wright
    • I don't think Jones or Johnson make it to 15.  Wright might be available
  • EDGE:  Anderson, Wilson, Murphy, Van Ness, Smith, White
    • Anderson and Wilson are very unlikely to be available.  Murphy, Van Ness, Smith might be.  White likely is available
  • DL:  Carter, Bresee 
    • Carter probably not available.  Bresee probably will be available
  • CB:  Gonzalez, Witherspoon, Porter, Banks
    • Gonzalez and Witherspoon are unlikely to be available.  Porter and Banks probably are available

I don't see much of a chance that the following are available at 15....
Young, Stroud, Anderson, Carter, Wilson, Gonzalez Witherspoon, Jones, Johnson... that is 9 spots

Then you get the mix of Levis and Richardson pushing the number to 11.  Add in JSN, Bijan Robinson as possible picks before 15.  

I think the pool of players is from JSN, Johnston, Robinson, Murphy, Van Ness, Smith, White, Wright, Skoronski, Bresee, Porter, Banks, Branch

I am a no at pick 15 on Johnston, Robinson, Smith, Skoronski, Porter, Banks.  I don't like the value of any of the TE at 15.

So my pool would be down to JSN, Murphy, Van Ness, White, Wright, Bresee, Branch.  If there are 3-4 of those players available, I would be good with a trade down

Broderick Jones? I think he slides. He might be the 5th OT taken