Week 11/Post Bye week mock

malagabears

OK, week 10 and the bye have passed and I have mixed this up. Have a look and enjoy.

Top Offseason needs:

1. WR (Addressed in FA and draft)
2. OT/OCG (Addressed in draft)
3. OLB (Addressed in FA and draft)
4. TE (Addressed in FA)
5. CB (Addressed in FA)

Draft

Bears finish the season 5-11 and get draft position/pick number 5 (1700 points). We trade down in this mock with Buffalo for picks 21 & 25 (2018) and a 3rd in 2019 (120-150 points). 

Pick 1/21 - We take OLB Clelin Ferrell from Clemson (6-4, 265 pounds). Clemson has a defensive line that is comprised of future first-round picks, and some sources think that Ferrell creates some of the big plays for the Tigers' other defensive linemen. Ferrell looks like a future first-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft due to his superb speed with athleticism and the ability bend around the corner. He has 52 tackles with 14 tackles for a loss, 7.5 sacks, one pass batted and one forced fumble in 2017. 

Pick 1/25 – We take with our 2nd 1st rounder we take massive RT prospect Orlando Brown from Oklahoma (6-8, 340 pounds). Brown has a chance to be even better. With all the strength you’d expect from a 6-8, 345-pounder, and surprising athleticism for that size, Brown is the kind of player any NFL team could plug in at right tackle and forget about that spot for the next decade or more.

Pick 2/5 - We take Cortlund Sutton (6-4, 215 pound, 4.5 40). Thus far in 2017, Sutton has 56 catches for 915 yards with 12 touchdowns. He has played well for SMU and continues to be a dynamic point-scoring threat. In 2016, Sutton totaled 76 receptions for 1,246 yards - 16.5 yard average per catch - with 10 touchdowns. He played well for SMU, showing his size, strength and quickness. He could have been a first-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, but the redshirt sophomore decided to return for his junior year. 

Pick 4/5 - Isaiah Wynn G/C Georgia. Wynn is 6.2/310lbs. Wynn has impressed scouts this season as he has been an excellent run blocker for the Bulldogs. Wynn blocks with aggression and has a temperament that is hard to find in college blockers. In pass protection, Wynn has been very dependable as well. Because he is shorter and doesn't have ideal length, some sources think that Wynn could move to guard or center in the NFL. Wynn started at left guard in 2016, but scouts think he is athletic enough to also play center. Wynn's size and skill set has drawn comparisons to Kelvin Beachum, who is undersized but has managed to carve out a career at left tackle in the NFL. He could drop to the early 4th round and be our draft steal this year.

Pick 5/5 – Davin Bellamy OLB Georgia is 6.5 and weighs 245. Bellamy has really picked up his play as a senior and was very impressive against Notre Dame. He beat Fighting Irish left tackle Mike McGlinchey on a speed rush to get a strip-sack to close out Georgia's one-score victory late in the fourth quarter. In 2017, Bellamy has 27 tackles with 7 tackles for a loss, two sacks and a forced fumble. Sources say they're projecting Bellamy to Day 3 of the 2018 NFL Draft. They think Bellamy is a bit of a tweener and wonder if he can add weight to play defensive end or stronger as an OLB. They also say Bellamy is not all that impressive as pass-rusher but could learn and grow in to the position by 2018 in the NFL. He needs to put on 10 more pounds and gain strength.

Pick 6/5 – Daylon Mack NT Taxas A&M. He is 6.1 325 lbs. 10/21/17: In 2017, Mack has eight tackles with four tackles for a loss, one sack and a forced fumble. He would be a good fit as a zero-technique nose tackle in a 3-4 defense. Mack notched just 25 tackles and 1.5 sacks in 2016, but he played better than the numbers illustrate. Mack was a disruptive force on the interior of the defensive line as a freshman in 2015. He totaled 32 tackles with 9.5 for a loss on the season, but also was a bigger presence than the numbers indicate. Mack also was only a rotational player, but he should take on a bigger role as an upperclassman.

Pick 7/5 – Austin MacGinnis K from Kentucky. MacGinnis is 13-of-18 this season with a long of 50 yards. MacGinnis kicked well in 2016, hitting on 84 percent of his field goals with a long of 51 yards. As a sophomore, he was 13-for-17 (77 percent) and was 21-of-27 as a freshman (78 percent).

Free Agency

We enter the FA period with 41M in CAP space with the total projected to be 178M. We increase the total to 80.3M with the following players cut.

Glennon 11.5M Big obvious cut
Sims 5.6M Hurt and not a difference maker
Wheaton 5M Hurt and not a difference maker
Massie 5.6M Solid but we draft his replacement in the 1st round
Demps 3.6M Did not show anything and hurt
Young 4.5M Hurt for most of the year and will be 32/33.
Freeman 3.5M Another suspension and hurt as well. Out ILB depth has been good with Jones providing excellent performance so far in 10 games.

Non- Bears Free Agents to target

1. For our WR we sign Sammy Watkins to a 4/44M with 32M guaranteed. 1st year CAP hit is 14M with 6M salary and 8M signing bonus. Watkins has had a quiet and productive year. He has ideal height and speed as a classic X/Y receiver and can win his share of jump balls. He will be 25 years old and still has tremendous upside. He can run a blazing 4.3x or low 4.4x 40. 66.3M left in CAP

2. In a mock surprise, we go after Connor Barwin who has been a very disruptive & productive OLB for both LA and Philadelphia over the past 5 seasons. I know he will be 32 in October of next year but he can have 2 years left in the tank to spot start and rotate while our rookie Ferrell learns the ropes on the edge. He has played an outstanding 16 games per year from 2012-2016. We sign him for a hefty 2/20M with 12M guaranteed. The first year CAP hit is 6M base and 6M bonus. 54.3M left in CAP.

3. Another piece to compliment the receiving corps while Shaheen develops is to sign Eric Ebron after the Lions cut him. Miller is also done since the last mock after that horrific injury. We steal him on a 1-year 5M prove it deal. 2.5M salary and 2.5M signing bonus. He has a ton of upside and is a potent receiver who can stretch the middle of the field against opposing ILB’s. Great size and speed and the change of scenery hopefully does him a world of good. 49.3M left in CAP room.

4. I really like Vontae Davis as an experienced complimentary piece to the secondary. He has had some injury concerns, but he is still young enough in 2018/19 (29/30) to make a real difference. We sign him to a 2-year 17M contract with 12 guaranteed. He has been highly rated on PFF in earlier years 2013/14 and can play nickel or as a sub on press man coverages. He will round out the CB starter depth. His 2018 CAP hit is 8.3M with another 3.5M guaranteed as a signing bonus prorated over 2019. 41M left in CAP space.

5. We sign Kevin Minter to a 2 year 8M contract with 4M guaranteed. He has had a quiet year but as recently as 2016 excelled as a SAM with the Cardinals. He is a good downhill tackler who has a nose for run support at the LOS. He can spell Kwia on run downs or start if needed. His CAP hit is 4M. 37M left in CAP space.

Bears Free Agents to resign

1. Kyle Fuller – As one of our returning FA’s we sign him to a 3-year 24M deal with 13M guaranteed. He has performed very well this year and we should reward him since he has righted the ship. He has often gone head to head against the opposing team best X/Y receiver and is also contributing in the run game D. This year’s CAP hit is a flat 8M (4M base salary and 4M signing bonus). We now have 29M left in CAP.

2. We resign Christian Jones to a 2-year 5M contract with 3M guaranteed. Good Depth at ILB and he can compete for the other ILB spot opposite Trevathan. We have 26.5M left in CAP as this is a 2.5M CAP hit. 

3. We resign Sam Acho to a 1 year 1.5M deal. He provides good depth at OLB. We have 25.5M left as he has a 1M CAP hit. 

4. We resign Cam Meredith to a 2-year extension offer sheet for 6M. 3M Cap hit leaves us with 22.5M left in CAP for the rookie class (6/7M for 6-7 draft picks if trade down happens).

5. We resign Dontrelle Inman to a 2 year 6M with 3M guaranteed. CAP hit is 3M and we now have 19.5M left.

6. Other low level signings:

WR Kendall Wright 2 years 7M/4 guaranteed (2M 2018 CAP hit)

DE Mitch Unrien 2 years 4M/2 guaranteed (2M 2018 CAP hit)

P Pat O'Donnell 3 years 7.5M/4 guaranteed (1.5M 2018 CAP hit)

CB Sherrick McManis 1 year 1M/1 guaranteed (1M 2018 CAP hit)

QB Mark Sanchez 1 year 1.5M (500K 2018 CAP hit)

12M CAP left with 6/7M for rookie pool plus 4-5M for contingency

I like the draft if this is what we do, but I strongly dislike the idea of moving from 5 down that far. 5 is an elite prospect. Minkah or Bradley Chubb level - a guy expected to be a stud day 1 at a premium position, the one thing we REALLY need. Impact players. I don’t see us passing on that for a lesser edge player and a RT, at least not unless the 2019 pick is also a #1 pick. Massie could be upgraded but he’s not a liability. To me that’s a developmental need, not a let’s trade out of the top 5 to be able to address it with a 1st rounder need. 

2 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

What are everyone's thoughts on Calvin Ridley? Based on some of the draft chatter he sounds like an Amari Cooper clone.

Solid collegiate player who should translate well to the NFL but I'm not sure I'd spend another top-10 pick on WR after seeing this past year's crop not do much (Davis, Williams, Ross) and the past few years of first round WRs not producing anyone to get overly excited about.

I mean Cooper is a good player and terrific route runner but sometimes he struggles with lapses and drops.  

8 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

What are everyone's thoughts on Calvin Ridley? Based on some of the draft chatter he sounds like an Amari Cooper clone.

he needs to be 6'1 and at least 195lbs running at least a 4.45 40 at the combine.  I have heard he is listed at 190 and plays at 180.  If he is 180 that is slot receiver territory.    

19 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

he needs to be 6'1 and at least 195lbs running at least a 4.45 40 at the combine.  I have heard he is listed at 190 and plays at 180.  If he is 180 that is slot receiver territory.    

I don't think it matters what he is for us because I don't see Pace targeting a WR in the 1st this year and if they do Courtland Sutton should be looked at way more than Ridley.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think it matters what he is for us because I don't see bears targeting a WR in the 1st this year and if they do I like Cam Sutton way more than Ridley.

I think the combine matter a lot for this WR draft class.  Ridley could vault himself into top 5 consideration with a great combine and the bears are desperate enough to reach for a WR 

5 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

I think the combine matter a lot for this WR draft class.  Ridley could vault himself into top 5 consideration with a great combine and the bears are desperate enough to reach for a WR 

Well I certainly hope they won't be desperate enough to do something like that.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Well I certainly hope they won't be desperate enough to do something like that.

they are desperate for WR there is no question about it.  If ridley has a good combine and he is a  consensus top 10 pick and the bears reach 5 spots is it that big of a reach.   

1 hour ago, Rogerthat said:

they are desperate for WR there is no question about it.  If ridley has a good combine and he is a  consensus top 10 pick and the bears reach 5 spots is it that big of a reach.   

Well they "reached" one spot last year and look how that was viewed.

Archived