Zach Wilson

biggie.

17 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Meh, Lamar is living off of 1 stellar year. He's been alright to pretty crummy outside of it. He's toast once his legs start to go, and I don't believe he could operate an offense not uniquely highly tailored to him. 

Allen is an anomaly. 

Mahomes is tricky. Unlike the others, he didn't start immediately and walked into by far the best situation of the 3. If it works, it works. And it clearly did. But is Mahomes still Mahomes without Reid, Kelce, Hill, Alex Smith's mentoring, ect? If a guy is put into position to take chances and succeed, they'll stand out. But most round 1 QBs don't walk into such friendly confines. 

The biggest reason not to change

When you win you do not change.

Ie fields the difference between last

Year and this year.

Ie Deshaun when he won 11 games did Houston look to trade him

They traded him Because the team only won 4 games .

Just be patient you are only paying him 2 mill a year that allows to build other positions. 

There is only 1 Patrick Mahomes 

The rest of us need to build Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfieldthe team.

Example according to some people

Cleveland only has 1 pro bowler now that Deshaun is on are team.

But that is what you get paying a qb

60 million when his last full season he only won 4 games

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Didn't the 49ers reportedly have offers on the table but asked for more? Teams were also reluctant to trade for him because of his shoulder issue and the fact that most teams thought they'd eventually have to cut him because of his contract. 

Why wouldn’t they pony up if they were “extremely desperate”? We’ve seen teams give up Day 2 picks for Wentz and Ryan, why not for Jimmy?

And no, Jimmy was set to be an UFA after 2022.

We've seen guys like Wentz, Darnold, etc. handed starting roles with teams year after year. I don't think all 31 teams are going to say nah to Jimmy. 

Darnold was thought to have upside. Wentz was thought to have upside. Ryan was thought to not be washed.

Jimmy neither has upside or is looking to rekindle any fires. He is what he is. 

The Jets are considering benching him in the middle of a playoff run for Mike White or Joe Flacco...

…and again, that doesn’t mean they’re dumping him in 2023. Given his age, experience, apparent attitude, and mental state of the game, he wouldn’t even make a good backup either. He hasn’t learned enough yet. Unless you think the Jets are cutting Wilson this offseason, there’s no chance Jimmy’s coming in on a 4 year deal or anything else indicating that the team is committed to him as the starter (and no QB competition). 

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:
17 hours ago, Acgott said:

Right now? Is there not chaos?

He caused chaos with a one word response, "no" when asked if he felt the offense let the defense down? lol

Yes. Because his counterparts are doing stuff like this:

Leadership is one of those things that’s expected from the QB - perhaps moreso than any other position in any other sport. The contrast in what Wilson says and what Fields says demonstrates being a player vs being a leader.

For all of his flaws (and he has a lot of flaws) Justin Fields is turning into a leader with these sort of moments.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Didn't the 49ers reportedly have offers on the table but asked for more? Teams were also reluctant to trade for him because of his shoulder issue and the fact that most teams thought they'd eventually have to cut him because of his contract. 

It was reported that the parameters ofa  trade were worked out with Washington, but it was basically blown up when Jimmy decided to have surgery (schefter said the deal was worked on during hte combine, which is coincidentally when Jimmy said he was getting surgery lol). Washington denied it, but Schefter reported it and given Mayhew's connection to the 49ers, I find that there is at least a reasonable shot that they are just spinning it.  Possible that Jimmy just didn't want to go to Washington. 

There were multiple reports that Indy basically moved on due to the injury as well and that the missed time was a real concern for them. 

15 hours ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

I'm surprised Jets fans are giving up on Wilson already.  He is from a small school and that means it will probably take some extra time for him to catch up.  The same was true of Josh Allen, and in his second year, he didn't look all that great either, from what I've heard.  Maybe I've been wrong in holding out hope that he will figure things out, but if you are the Jets, you hate having to move on so quickly from a #2 overall pick - especially when you whiffed on a #3 recently with Darnold too.

I've only watched one Jets game this year (this week's game vs. the Patriots).  Has Wilson been so bad that you are already wanting to move on?

Josh Allen was the exception to the rule, not the rule itself. Also holding onto your investment just for the sake of not having to admit failure is a sunk cost fallacy. Yes we hate it, but why hold onto something for dear life if it isn't serving you?

If you watch the rest of our games aside from vs Pittsburgh it's really been that bad. Same TD:INT ratio as when he entered the league, bottom 5 in just about every stat and NextGen stat over the past two years, zero accountability as a team leader and rubbed the whole locker room the wrong way, and has our receivers wanting out. Yeah, we already want to move on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

In comparison to Josh Allen he was viewed as pro ready because he played better competition and had better numbers. In fairness to him he flashed as a freshman, regressed as a sophomore while he was hurt, and then took off as a junior.

Almost nobody viewed Allen as pro ready, he was the clear project of that class along with Lamar. Baker, Darnold, and Rosen were the ones who were considered pro ready.

4 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Jimmy’s a bonafide QB purgatory guy, lol. If anyone in the universe thought Jimmy was “leading” these 49ers to the SBs footsteps all these years, they wouldn’t be letting him go. He’s a game manager. 

Which teams realistically aren’t going to have a FRP QB in the building, are going to afford a starting QB on the open market, and will allow Jimmy to walk in as the unquestioned starter? NFCS teams for sure, and the Commanders. Colts I’d be shocked if they didn’t retain Ryan and/or draft someone. Texans are drafting someone. Giants I suppose are a wild card, my prediction there has been (since they’ve been winning games) that Jones plays another year on the tag. Even in the NFCS the Bucs and Saints can’t afford him in all likelihood. 

That’s pretty much it. He’ll have suitors but there won’t be many job openings where he doesn’t have a young player up his *** on the bench. 

How does a Super Bowl appearance and NFCCG appearance in two of the past three years scream QB purgatory? 

The Jets will be able to offer all the things you said would be hard to find plus familiarity with the staff and system. When you have a roster as talented as ours and have been held back by the likes of Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson the past 5 years, having a proven guy who can keep the train on schedule is a massive boon.

I excluded the Jets because I do not see them going into 2023 thinking “Zach Wilson is absolutely the backup QB, let’s bring in a starter”. Best case scenario there is it’s a QB competition that Jimmy wins, which would require both Jimmy being okay with walking into a competition and the Jets being okay with dumping a chunk of change on another QB that isn’t going to push them over the edge. If everyone involved is cool with that, then as I said, it’s a great fit.

This is where you're gonna be wrong. Zach's as good as done in NY, I see him either being cut or traded. It won't be a competition if Jimmy comes here, we are looking for a proven starting QB who can take us to a Super Bowl with the roster we currently have.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Leadership is one of those things that’s expected from the QB - perhaps moreso than any other position in any other sport. The contrast in what Wilson says and what Fields says demonstrates being a player vs being a leader.

For all of his flaws (and he has a lot of flaws) Justin Fields is turning into a leader with these sort of moments.

Yeah it's mind boggling to me how some people are excusing Zach's pitiful response to that question. It's leadership/PR 101 to share the wealth when times are good and accept responsibility when not. His own selfishness superseded his team captaincy and now he's feeling the blowback. Not even to mention that it's the absolute truth that he let our defense down.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

How does a Super Bowl appearance and NFCCG appearance in two of the past three years scream QB purgatory? 

Because they haven't been getting there because of him. Jimmy is good enough to win with, but he's not good enough to take you anywhere, and thus far he's been pretty much a disaster in the playoffs. Has yet to have a good game in 6 attempts. 

Jimmy can lay the smack down on bad and average teams and he's good enough to win with in games against good teams, but he's seldom going to be the reason for it (unless it's the Rams). 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I’m a Raiders fan so when I hear “chaos” I think about ish actually hitting the fan. Not some hurt feelings because someone said they didn’t let the defense down lol

Why wouldn’t they pony up if they were “extremely desperate”? We’ve seen teams give up Day 2 picks for Wentz and Ryan, why not for Jimmy?

And no, Jimmy was set to be an UFA after 2022.

Darnold was thought to have upside. Wentz was thought to have upside. Ryan was thought to not be washed.

Jimmy neither has upside or is looking to rekindle any fires. He is what he is. 

…and again, that doesn’t mean they’re dumping him in 2023. Given his age, experience, apparent attitude, and mental state of the game, he wouldn’t even make a good backup either. He hasn’t learned enough yet. Unless you think the Jets are cutting Wilson this offseason, there’s no chance Jimmy’s coming in on a 4 year deal or anything else indicating that the team is committed to him as the starter (and no QB competition). 

As I literally just said and @Forgeconfirmed there was a deal on the table but he decided to have surgery. Most teams were also hesitant to trade for him because they thought the 49ers would eventually have to cut him if they didn’t trade him. He was originally scheduled to make $26M and they restructured it to like 5-6M, IIRC. 

Wentz was thought to have upside? He led the league in interceptions despite not even playing in like 5 or 6 games his last year in Philadelphia. The Colts traded a 1st round pick for him because they were desperate for a QB, he was connected to their coach, and they felt that he could be the piece that got them over the top as they were ready to compete. That sounds pretty similar to the Jets as Jimmy has connections with their coaches, they may feel they’re a QB away, and he gives them a chance to compete immediately. 

It’s not out of the realm of possibilities that the Jets trade him this offseason. Josh Rosen was traded for a second round pick after his terrible rookie year. Teams are extremely desperate for QB. 

And FWIW, Spotrac has Jimmy G’s market value at like 4 yr/$26M APY.

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

Because they haven't been getting there because of him. Jimmy is good enough to win with, but he's not good enough to take you anywhere, and thus far he's been pretty much a disaster in the playoffs. Has yet to have a good game in 6 attempts. 

Jimmy can lay the smack down on bad and average teams and he's good enough to win with in games against good teams, but he's seldom going to be the reason for it (unless it's the Rams). 

Maybe we're overly sensitive to average QB play, but Jimmy would move the needle tremendously for us. 

We don't need him to be the reason we win, we just need him to not drive the train off the tracks.

• Like 1