Zach Wilson

biggie.

13 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Tbh the difference is Mahomes had 3 years of consistent tape and improvement and that he wasn't just all tools

8 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Allen's college resume was even pretty good tbqh, no Wyoming QB has come even close to that production since.

Totally revisionist…Mahomes and Allen were as “all tools” guys as you’ll find in the first round. Neither played in pro style offenses (Mahomes even worse out of an air raid), had consistent mechanics, knew how to read defenses, or consistently throw accurate footballs. They were both total projects that worked out amazingly.

2 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Jake Locker is a good comparison. 

That’s a good one right there - I remembered Locker being more successful in college, but his numbers were not good at all. 

Blaine Gabbert is another one, as was Christian Ponder. Boy, that 2011 draft was pretty gross on the QB front.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

That’s a good one right there - I remembered Locker being more successful in college, but his numbers were not good at all. 

Blaine Gabbert is another one, as was Christian Ponder. Boy, that 2011 draft was pretty gross on the QB front.

I actually thought Gabbert would be decent 

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Totally revisionist…Mahomes and Allen were as “all tools” guys as you’ll find in the first round. Neither played in pro style offenses (Mahomes even worse out of an air raid), had consistent mechanics, knew how to read defenses, or consistently throw accurate footballs. They were both total projects that worked out amazingly.

I think the thing is - you saw the tools play out and actual good football come from these guys. They were good in college, even if the tools and systems weren’t conducive to success at the pro level.

Wilson? Prior to a completely off schedule 2020, he was throwing for under 2,500 and 11/9 - in a SPREAD offense, no less. (Mahomes nearly hit those marks in a single game vs Oklahoma).

There was nothing he did in college that would make someone think he’d be a good QB. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He sucks, but his offense scored as many points as NE's so I don't get the feigned outraged over him answering "no" when asked if his offense let the team down. They didn't really, the special teams did though.

Wilson threw for 77 yards and barely completed 40 percent of his passes.  How did the offense not fail the defense?  They had 7 drives in the second half and only 2 of them went longer than 3 plays (6 and 5 respectively).  One could argue the punt return coverage was hampered by the offenses inability to sustain drives, leading to 7 punts.  

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

Wilson threw for 77 yards and barely completed 40 percent of his passes.  How did the offense not fail the defense?  They had 7 drives in the second half and only 2 of them went longer than 3 plays (6 and 5 respectively).  One could argue the punt return coverage was hampered by the offenses inability to sustain drives, leading to 7 punts.  

That doesn't even really cover it, in the 2nd half they accounted for a net -14 passing yards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iknowcool said:
10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He sucks, but his offense scored as many points as NE's so I don't get the feigned outraged over him answering "no" when asked if his offense let the team down. They didn't really, the special teams did though.

Yeah, he had like… 2 yards passing at halftime? That’s a problem.

Just now, ET80 said:

Yeah, he had like… 2 yards passing at halftime? That’s a problem.

2 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

That doesn't even really cover it, in the 2nd half they accounted for a net -14 passing yards.

Oh geez, that’s even worse…

9 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I actually thought Gabbert would be decent 

I felt from the get-go he didn’t have it. Even said draft night, the Jags were drafting the next David Carr…

…to be fully transparent, I also said the Titans drafted a right handed Steve Young with Jake Locker, so I was hitting .500 that day.

(Then… I got upset when the Texans drafted JJ Watt over Prince Amukamara that day, so that’s .333 on the day).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think the thing is - you saw the tools play out and actual good football come from these guys. They were good in college, even if the tools and systems weren’t conducive to success at the pro level.

Wilson? Prior to a completely off schedule 2020, he was throwing for under 2,500 and 11/9 - in a SPREAD offense, no less. (Mahomes nearly hit those marks in a single game vs Oklahoma).

There was nothing he did in college that would make someone think he’d be a good QB. 

That’s all true. 

When was the last toolsy, one year wonder QB that worked out?

• Like 1