Aaron Rodgers contract - An analysis

Packer_ESP

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

Like I said above - why would SF want to bother with a 40 year old QB who isn't as good as he once was with a big contract when they can resign Jimmy G who is 8 years younger for a hell of lot less?  

Why would any Super Bowl contending team want Jimmy G as their quarterback?

On 12/16/2022 at 8:19 PM, craig said:

Trade for the best package, who cares who you trade him to, division, conference, who cares.  We're not winning the year after a trade anyway.  Just get the best return you can that will help you the most long-term.  

This.

Lets say Vikings or Bears offer us two first rounders for Rodgers.

Who wins the trade ?   If Packers win the trade then surely we would rather fleece a divisional rival than say an AFC team.  

You would expect that whoever gets Rodgers will improve for 2 years and then take a hit due to what they gave up both in picks and contract space.

Its likely that post Rodgers we will rebuild to an extent maybe have a couple of bad years then hopefully be back all being well.  Surely Vikings being better for two years (when we are bad) and then regressing when hopefully we are back is a win for us.

If we trade Rodgers then would want us to take the best deal regardless of what division they are in, in fact technically it would probably be better if it was a divisional rival although I wouldn't actively look for that.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 2:19 PM, craig said:

Trade for the best package, who cares who you trade him to, division, conference, who cares.  We're not winning the year after a trade anyway.  Just get the best return you can that will help you the most long-term.  

What's the best package?

Answer: it depends on the team trading for him.

Any trade has to work for Rodgers.  He isn't going to the Jets or Houston or likely 28 other teams.  His landing spots are very limited.  

1.  He has to want to go there.

2.  The team has to have the cap space and draft capital to get him.

3.  The Packers have to consider the competitive ramifications of the trade.

What this boils down to is what the Packers think of Jordan Love.  Can you win with him?, not just be average, but can he lead you to the playoffs and beyond?

Edited by NFLGURU

9 hours ago, Sandy said:

And then they tried to replace him. He was their QB2 this year, and only because no one wanted to trade for him.

He’s not all world and can make some mistakes but also can get hot and make some plays. His injury, and not telling the team he was going to have the surgery, was what kept other teams from trading for him. He was making a surge right  before his most recent injury. SF was treating him as expendable but he kept them in contention. Will be interesting to see what Purdy can do with those skill players and defense backing him up. Of course I hope they crash and burn but they are not a team you want to play in January.

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

He’s not all world and can make some mistakes but also can get hot and make some plays. His injury, and not telling the team he was going to have the surgery, was what kept other teams from trading for him. He was making a surge right  before his most recent injury. SF was treating him as expendable but he kept them in contention. Will be interesting to see what Purdy can do with those skill players and defense backing him up. Of course I hope they crash and burn but they are not a team you want to play in January.

But would you argue they would prefer him to Rodgers? 

He's fine for what he is but at the end of the day they will go for the upgrade if they can. Rodgers is the superior quarterback, even with a broken thumb.

27 minutes ago, Sandy said:

But would you argue they would prefer him to Rodgers? 

He's fine for what he is but at the end of the day they will go for the upgrade if they can. Rodgers is the superior quarterback, even with a broken thumb.

I see absolutely no way we trade him to the 9ers, or at all really. Doesn’t matter if that’s their preference. Jimmy made sure to negotiate a contract where he is in control for this season. Rodgers did the same thing but for the next several seasons. It will be an offseason that better have some answers to the problems of this year but I believe QB1 will be the same. 

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

I see absolutely no way we trade him to the 9ers, or at all really. Doesn’t matter if that’s their preference. Jimmy made sure to negotiate a contract where he is in control for this season. Rodgers did the same thing but for the next several seasons. It will be an offseason that better have some answers to the problems of this year but I believe QB1 will be the same. 

I see SF as the second most likely trade destination, after LV, should he be traded. And I think it's a coin flip whether he gets traded or not.

If he asks for out, Rodgers would have to approve of where he goes (or publicly threaten retirement) and I see those as the only two teams he'd be interested in finishing his career with.

Jimmy G is a free agent after this season, so he has no control on if SF wants him back or not 

On 12/18/2022 at 11:13 AM, mikemike778 said:

This.

Lets say Vikings or Bears offer us two first rounders for Rodgers.

That boat sailed early this year.

Maybe if you are in your bed  travelling on the ship of dreams, it might be a place where the boat can land, but other than that, no. A trade is not really about the compensation. I'd let Rodgers go for pretty much nothing, because for me its all about a) taking steps to shed the cap money, asap, b) seeing what Love can do, and c) setting the Packers up for a healthy financial (cap) situation, in 2024.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 3:50 PM, minnypackerfan said:

You may get your wish.  Unfortunately, Rodgers is not ascending anymore....he's descending. He is still very good, just not elite anymore.  The arm is there, the legs are going.  At times he just looks mentally shot.  The rest of the team has to get a lot better for them to be competitive again.  Even with a good draft I don't see it next year.

Of course Love may never be good either.  What a fun offseason for Gute.    

Well, when you are the 4X MVP and reigning 2X MVP, one could argue the only place to go is down.

Throw in the thumb injury and he was bound to have a "down" year.

I'll say this....he more or less screwed over himself and the team when he didn't show up to to Optional Team Activities.  (Right @Laces Out ?"  Heh Heh Heh.  

But, he also screwed himself with training in the off-season.  I don't know how he trained, or even if he really trained.  But his feet are slower now then they've been for the past few seasons.

If Rodgers heals up the thumb and trains those feet (core/legs), I have little doubt that he can be elite again in this offense.  But really, it is up to Aaron and just how much he wants to dedicate himself to the team...  and not to chasing his next contract.