Aaron Rodgers contract - An analysis

Packer_ESP

On 12/19/2022 at 3:09 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

If he's serious about being all in and coming back he also should do what he can with his contract to help get into a position where they can actually spend to help bolster the roster.  Not sure, but I'm guessing 12's contract is one of the most restrictive in football.

As others have said...

Rodgers contract is structured so that the cap hits for 2022 and 2023 are 28m and 31m which is 13% of the cap. Obviously that is significant but in the real world given he is a back to back to back reigning MVP then on paper that looks pretty good value for money on paper (or did before season starts).  He has basically done exactly what you have asked and structured his contract to get us into a position to bolster the roster this year and next year (in the form of bringing most players back).

For a QB, his contract isn't particularly restrictive in terms of roster building this year and next year. Where it is restrictive is that it gives us no real room to cut him and makes it harder for us to trade him. Obviously its horribly restrictive when he has gone.

You can argue its a selfish contract in that it gave Packers a chance to be successful in 2022 and 2023 when he is likely to be here. And then put us in a cap mess afterwards when he probably will be gone. But then most contracts these days are backloaded anyway as teams love the buy now, pay next year plan.

Despite all the criticism of the contract - you can argue its just a  case of putting your resources where they are most needed. If we are going to compete for a title in 2022 and 2023 and probably struggle for a few years then it made sense to move the cap hit to years which are probably down years. Obviously all this was before we knew the team would regress badly. 

Ideally, Rodgers would be selfless and leave money on the table. But that's not really him. I guess the next best thing if we planned to be all-in for the next couple of seasons would be to structure it like they did.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Pretty good breakdown of the scenarios. I think a lot of people need to read this type of information before they develop their options on this off season and even 2024.

This seems to repeat what is known:

He's relatively attractive to a trading team if he wants to go there. And GB is on the hook for more money than he's worth any way this plays out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This seems to repeat what is known:

He's relatively attractive to a trading team if he wants to go there. And GB is on the hook for more money than he's worth any way this plays out.

Yep .. the acquiring team might be getting quite the bargain if he reverts back to near MVP level.

The new team would have a $15.79 million 2023 cap hit for Rodgers consisting of the $14.575 million of option proration bonus, his $1.165 million base salary and $50,000 workout bonus. Rodgers' 2024, 2025 and 2026 cap numbers would be $32,541,666, $51,141,166 and $45,291,668. 

• Like 1

You ask Rodgers if he wants to come back next year.  If he says yes, you tell him in order to come back we need to redo his contract or we need to trade him now.

His choice

Retire, play in Green Bay under a new contract, or get traded to one of 3  teams of his choosing.

The X factor the Packers know and we dont is how good is Jordan Love?

Also, it's my belief if you are hemming and hawing about retirement, you're halfway out the door and not all in.  

Edited by NFLGURU

3 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

You ask Rodgers if he wants to come back next year.  If he says yes, you tell him in order to come back we need to redo his contract or we need to trade him now.

His choice

Retire, play in Green Bay under a new contract, or get traded to one of 3  teams of his choosing.

I’ve asked this a few times… is it practical or even allowable for him to redo his contact? I thought I’ve read the NFLPA would basically take issue with any significant changes? Especially if he was going to keep playing.

Edited by Arthur Penske

I don't want to watch Packers rebuild. I want to watch AR play with the returning players and some draft choices with last years draft choices. Once he is gone he is gone. I suspect it will be super boring around Packerland after he leaves. I will miss him and all his foibles. His time at the podium, his free hugs policy, his contract writing skills. All of it. Almost winning the Superbowl is just as emotional and entertaining as winning the Superbowl for me. I wish the next wave the best but I suspect it will be a dull kind of wake experience. Let him throw the ball on every 3rd and 4th down, who cares if it works, it's exciting. He's been doing it this whole time anyway. Remember when Dan Devine's dog got shot? It was the farmer neighbor, not one of the Packer's crazy fans who did it. Let him throw the ball.  

23 minutes ago, svp said:

I don't want to watch Packers rebuild. I want to watch AR play with the returning players and some draft choices with last years draft choices. Once he is gone he is gone. I suspect it will be super boring around Packerland after he leaves. I will miss him and all his foibles. His time at the podium, his free hugs policy, his contract writing skills. All of it. Almost winning the Superbowl is just as emotional and entertaining as winning the Superbowl for me. I wish the next wave the best but I suspect it will be a dull kind of wake experience. Let him throw the ball on every 3rd and 4th down, who cares if it works, it's exciting. He's been doing it this whole time anyway. Remember when Dan Devine's dog got shot? It was the farmer neighbor, not one of the Packer's crazy fans who did it. Let him throw the ball.  

I want and think Rodgers will be back for another year.

However, If Love is good Watching him throw TDS to Watson sure as heck won’t be boring. watching him do it vs Philly was plenty fun. It was the same when Rodgers came around after Favre, watching young Rodgers was amazing. Just Hope Love or whoever else follows Rodgers is good because watching s team with a bad QB is painful. 

10 hours ago, svp said:

Watch reruns

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’ve asked this a few times… is it practical or even allowable for him to redo his contact? I thought I’ve read the NFLPA would basically take issue with any significant changes? Especially if he was going to keep playing.

What I do know is that there's no way to rework the contract as is. He can't "take a pay cut" because he makes a league minimum base salary already. His options are guaranteed, which I would assume makes them legally binding in the same way as signing bonus.

I don't think this is the same as Derek Carr waiving a no trade clause, Aaron can't just waive guaranteed dollars.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, svp said:

Anyway we can find the old forum when Favre was leaving and Rodgers was going to play?  Seems to me like we are going back in time.

I mean, we've seen this movie before.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Anyway we can find the old forum when Favre was leaving and Rodgers was going to play?  Seems to me like we are going back in time.

I mean, we've seen this movie before.  

Same, I can't believe how much of this echoes the Favre saga.

But on the flip side, I thought a lot of people really wanted to keep Favre than want to keep Rodgers. That might be the wrangler jeans thing.

20 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Same, I can't believe how much of this echoes the Favre saga.

But on the flip side, I thought a lot of people really wanted to keep Favre than want to keep Rodgers. That might be the wrangler jeans thing.

I also think more people are ready to move on from Rodgers, as with Favre that was our first HOF QB in a long time. With Rodgers we just had Favre.

I am excited to move past Rodgers but also no idea what QB play we will see for the next 5-10 years after him. I’ve definitely enjoyed Rodgers over the years. It feels like it’s time to move on though.