Fixing Our Beleoved Browns Step 1

DaWg_LB.

7 hours ago, brownie man said:

I think he’s gonna be rusty for the first half. Kinda shell shocked with all the booing and stuff. 

I think from the 2nd half onward he’s gonna he his normal self. 

this is such a unique situation because none of this has been due to injury. He’s been healthy and preparing at 100%. He’s gonna be fine and that’s the frustrating part. 

Don’t be shocked if it takes more than a half.  But that’s ok.  

If there’s any silver lining to having **** the bed the first part of the season, it’s that we’re no longer in the playoff hunt and the pressure is off a bit.  This is essentially going to be a 6 game preseason in preparation for next year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If there’s any silver lining to having **** the bed the first part of the season, it’s that we’re no longer in the playoff hunt and the pressure is off a bit.

Leave it to our Browns to provide that kind of silver lining for their fans: At least they lost enough to condition us to disappointment so more losing won't hurt so bad. I hope psychologists are doing some kind of Stockholm Syndrome study on us.

• Like 1

Here's a thought as to fixing the defense.

Woods is so gone, not worth mentioning much.

But I would drop a dime to the 608 to gauge the interest level of longtime NFL player and former Brown Jim Leonhard. I highly doubt he wants to stick around in Madison after the University just announced he would not be getting the permanent HC gig - that went to Luke Fickell. Time for Stefanski to seize the opportunity.

Leonhard was always a tough nosed son of a gun. He always played hard and is well respected. He took over the 2-3 dumpster fire Paul Chryst left him and went 4-3 to finish the season. They are bowl eligible now. No small feat.

Whether Woods' schemes were too complex or not, the bottom line is they were NOT communicated to the players in a way the players understood. We all saw how many blown coverages manifested when 3 guys covered 1 receiver - leaving another receiver WIDE OPEN. You can accept that to a degree in week 1, but beyond that is poor coaching.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Here's a thought as to fixing the defense.

Woods is so gone, not worth mentioning much.

But I would drop a dime to the 608 to gauge the interest level of longtime NFL player and former Brown Jim Leonhard. I highly doubt he wants to stick around in Madison after the University just announced he would not be getting the permanent HC gig - that went to Luke Fickell. Time for Stefanski to seize the opportunity.

Leonhard was always a tough nosed son of a gun. He always played hard and is well respected. He took over the 2-3 dumpster fire Paul Chryst left him and went 4-3 to finish the season. They are bowl eligible now. No small feat.

Whether Woods' schemes were too complex or not, the bottom line is they were NOT communicated to the players in a way the players understood. We all saw how many blown coverages manifested when 3 guys covered 1 receiver - leaving another receiver WIDE OPEN. You can accept that to a degree in week 1, but beyond that is poor coaching.

He’d be an interesting option.  He seems like a guy who’s on the fast track to a college HC gig, and maybe that’s where he wants to be.

He spent plenty of time in the league though and knows what works and what doesn’t.  

The “what about (insert name)?” game for DC is really pretty simple for me.  Is that person Joe Woods?  No?  I’m game.

If we finish with a winning record and the defense improves, Jimmy will probably favor towards continuity.

If we keep Joe Woods, Berry needs to give him guys that will make his scheme work. MJ Emerson was a fantastic start. Greg Newsome schematically fits too. The oddball fit is Denzel Ward. JOK is a perfect fit scheme wise. Myles and Jadeveon fit in any scheme. Takitaki fits as a SAM and will be cheap.

So on defense, we 100% need:

2 starting caliber DT’s that can actually play football

1 MIKE linebacker

More pass rushers

2 starting safeties - Hopefully these guys improve down the stretch

8 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If we finish with a winning record and the defense improves, Jimmy will probably favor towards continuity.

If we keep Joe Woods, Berry needs to give him guys that will make his scheme work. MJ Emerson was a fantastic start. Greg Newsome schematically fits too. The oddball fit is Denzel Ward. JOK is a perfect fit scheme wise. Myles and Jadeveon fit in any scheme. Takitaki fits as a SAM and will be cheap.

So on defense, we 100% need:

2 starting caliber DT’s that can actually play football

1 MIKE linebacker

More pass rushers

2 starting safeties - Hopefully these guys improve down the stretch

I mean if Denzel Ward, a guy who’s as good as any CB in the game in man, doesn’t fit your scheme, change your scheme.  JJIII has also proven to be a high level player in the league.  It’s not a player issue with these two and I can say that with some certainty based on previous results.

Woods ain’t it man.  Don’t let one good showing against a middling team with a 45 year old QB and no run game fool you.

Woods gets less out of more than literally any DC I can remember.  Stop with the “muh scheme” **** and design a scheme around the talent you have.  There’s nothing creative at the LOS, just “hey guys, you 4 go kick those 5-6 guys ***** mkay?”.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean if Denzel Ward, a guy who’s as good as any CB in the game in man, doesn’t fit your scheme, change your scheme.  JJIII has also proven to be a high level player in the league.  It’s not a player issue with these two and I can say that with some certainty based on previous results.

Woods ain’t it man.  Don’t let one good showing against a middling team with a 45 year old QB and no run game fool you.

Woods gets less out of more than literally any DC I can remember.  Stop with the “muh scheme” **** and design a scheme around the talent you have.  There’s nothing creative at the LOS, just “hey guys, you 4 go kick those 5-6 guys ***** mkay?”.  

I’m not stating what should happen, I’m predicting what I think will happen. We play a bad Houston, New Orleans, and Pittsburgh team. Washington is mediocre on offense. Then you have Cincinnati- The ONLY offense Joe Woods magically looks amazing against.

Baltimore will be his last real test.

Just now, candyman93 said:

I’m not stating what should happen, I’m predicting what I think will happen. We play a bad Houston, New Orleans, and Pittsburgh team. Washington is mediocre on offense. Then you have Cincinnati- The ONLY offense Joe Woods magically looks amazing against.

Baltimore will be his last real test.

It’s not magic why we look good against Cincinnati, it’s because Taylor is even more stubborn than Woods.

He doesn’t give his LT help with Myles, lots of 3 WR sets, Burrows holds the ball forever, etc.  Literally their whole game plan is what we are designed to stop.

I just think we’d need to be borderline dominant the rest of the way for Woods to be here next year. 

His showings against the Jets, Chargers, Falcons, Dolphins and Patriots are all fireable offenses imo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, I would hardly say Joe Woods has an innovative defensive scheme that we just have to keep using, great players that don’t fit it be dammed. In fact, I would suggest the opposite.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 2

On 11/21/2022 at 10:38 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m understanding of them thinking an upgrade isn’t gonna be easy mid season, but even if you feel that way, at some point there has to be accountability with both players and coaches.

Guys on the back end have been ******* lost all season. Maybe they’re epic morons, but either way there’s clearly a disconnect. It’s time to let someone else call the defense, someone who’s willing to mix things up a bit.  

I don’t think you can reasonably fire 2 coordinators in one season, but someone needs to be axed to send a message imo. And like, it’s justified.  Woods has led what has been a historically bad defense.

Your a genius 

He beats Brady then you say fire him

What is his record verses Pittsburgh 

How about the Bengals