QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

There’s this word called respect. And taking care of those who have taken care of you. Rodgers earned that money you paid him. If you didn’t pay him that. Someone would have. So it’s not noble of you guys to pay him what he was getting anyway and worth.

That's not respect.  Respect was redoing his contract making him the highest paid QB in the NFL, and agreeing to a deal that was poison-pilled and protected Rodgers against retiring early.  The Packers could have EASILY told Rodgers to play out his current contract and they'd franchise tag him after the contract expires.  That was respect.  The Packers didn't have any real reason to extend him.  But they did right by him, and extended him.  They didn't have to.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He’s under contract with you guys. You made the decision to draft a QB that was going to have to play before his contract was up. So you guys put that timeline on his career. You don’t want him there. He said this himself last week. He’s decided he still wants to play and has chosen the Jets as the only team he wants to play for.

Again, when the Packers picked Jordan Love they had no idea that Rodgers was going to win back-to-back MVPs.  The clocked ticked on them at that point in that regard.  But the Packers could have easily gotten a small fortune last offseason.

39 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So what is GBs “need” here. There “need” is that they don’t want him there and “need” to trade him. No where in that is the “need” a 1st round draft pick plus. That’s a “wish” not a need. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

No.  The Packers "need" is to put Jordan Love in the best position to succeed.  Not make Rodgers happy.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's not respect.  Respect was redoing his contract making him the highest paid QB in the NFL, and agreeing to a deal that was poison-pilled and protected Rodgers against retiring early.  The Packers could have EASILY told Rodgers to play out his current contract and they'd franchise tag him after the contract expires.  That was respect.  The Packers didn't have any real reason to extend him.  But they did right by him, and extended him.  They didn't have to.

Again, when the Packers picked Jordan Love they had no idea that Rodgers was going to win back-to-back MVPs.  The clocked ticked on them at that point in that regard.  But the Packers could have easily gotten a small fortune last offseason.

No.  The Packers "need" is to put Jordan Love in the best position to succeed.  Not make Rodgers happy.

Well then your FO needs a reality check to accept the only offer out there to help Love. Because the fall back option is Rodgers coming back and Love on the bench with an expiring contract and a ton of money you’d still owe Rodgers.

So I have a question re: dead cap space. For Zach Wilson in 2023, his dead cap hit is $20,770,856. I know that would be the number if we released him (we won't), but would we still be forced to pay that number in dead cap money if we traded him?

Does dead cap money come into play EVERY time a player gets traded, or just released?

I know the NFL is particularly confusing re: the salary cap, so I am just trying to understand the basics.

Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

So I have a question re: dead cap space. For Zach Wilson in 2023, his dead cap hit is $20,770,856. I know that would be the number if we released him (we won't), but would we still be forced to pay that number in dead cap money if we traded him?

Does dead cap money come into play EVERY time a player gets traded, or just released?

I know the NFL is particularly confusing re: the salary cap, so I am just trying to understand the basics.

Thanks in advance.

If the Jets traded Zach Wilson this off-season, they would incur an $11.2M dead cap charge. When a player is traded, the remainder of his prorated signing bonus becomes current. In this case, Wilson’s contract included a $23M signing bonus, which is prorated over the entirety of the contract ($5.7M/year). This stays with the origin team and does but travel to his new team. Meaning Zach would only count for $3.7M against the cap for the team that trades for him. I personally think this makes his much more tradable but it doesn’t sound like the Jets are entertaining that idea… yet.

Edited by BlaZeN37
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Thanks in advance.

dead money via trade is for old money such as signing bonus or already paid portion during the stay.

dead money via released is for old money and unpaid GTD. For veterans' contract, we need to check out date when a certain $$ becomes fully GTD, dump him before that date.  blah blah blah.

In Wilson's case, he is still subject to waiving system so new team will cover his remaining contract without signing bonus if claimed. If went unclaimed (use released formula), majority of Wilson's dead money will count against the cap as new team may sign him at minimum wage (whatever it is subtract it from Wilson's dead money for Jets).

• Like 1

According to reports from Albert Breer, some teams uninvolved are skeptical of the return the Packers allegedly desire for Rodgers. They believe he isn't worth an outright first-round draft pick.

"And in calling around, asking teams that are uninvolved what they’d give up, just about everyone said it should be a Day 2 pick this year, fronting a package with a conditional pick or two on the back end," Breer wrote.

Based on previous reports from Adam Schefter, he said the Packers were looking for a trade return similar to that of the Detroit Lions' with Matthew Stafford. The Lions received two first-round picks, a third-round pick and Jared Goff.

Here you GB fans and GB FO people. Only you guys in your dream land think he is worth a 1st round pick. I think the Jets should have a VERY hard deadline with GB and tell them you can have our 3rd round pick this year and our 5th next year. If you miss the deadline it goes to a 4th round pick this year only. You miss that deadline we are done. GB needs this more than the Jets. 

This also is proving that Adam S. has no idea what is going on here and more reports he puts out the more he looks like a moron. If I'm Adam I would give up on this story. Wingo and Wingo only seems to get it right. 

Edited by jetfuel34

Wingo?   That very same reporter that said trade was done? lol.

I intend to believe both Breer and Schefter's report on Rodgers.   It was really dumb of Packers to make the trade before June. Only way to get it done sooner was to acquire high picks.  Jets just sit back and wait until June or later to lose something little.

Big problem is if Jets are waiting until after the draft, Packers may have other suitors for Rodgers.  Best offer will win Packers.

If Jets are still only team that interests Rodgers in June then Packers may accept Jets' proposal trade.  Since Jets are only team today Packers can accept the offer now if they want 2023 pick. Otherwise, 2024 return value is the ideal solution for Packers.

Jets stay pat but need to watch out on other teams just in case. 

7 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I intend to believe both Breer and Schefter's report on Rodgers.   It was really dumb of Packers to make the trade before June. Only way to get it done sooner was to acquire high picks.  Jets just sit back and wait until June or later to lose something little.

Big problem is if Jets are waiting until after the draft, Packers may have other suitors for Rodgers.  Best offer will win Packers.

If Jets are still only team that interests Rodgers in June then Packers may accept Jets' proposal trade.  Since Jets are only team today Packers can accept the offer now if they want 2023 pick. Otherwise, 2024 return value is the ideal solution for Packers.

Yes Wingo said it is pretty much "done" jut need to work out rest of trade and Rodergs will be a Jet. This is what happened. So yes he is right and Adam and those guys missed back Adam has been wrong on all of the Rodgers talk. 

13 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Yea Wingo who AR 1st off talks to. When AR dislikes main stream insiders. Wingo has been spot on on everything with AR. He said a few days ago that the trade is nearly completed. Just some details need to be ironed out and GB figuring out how to “try” and do things right to look respectful to AR. And Jets to be prepared media wise and such. His exact words were to not expect it to drag into this next week. So I assume we hear something this week. But make no question AR will be the Jets QB in 2023.

We have no reason to not listen to him when he’s been spot on on everything with this.

Scheffty, Rap, Russini know nothing in this.

7 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Yes Wingo said it is pretty much "done" jut need to work out rest of trade and Rodergs will be a Jet. This is what happened. So yes he is right and Adam and those guys missed back Adam has been wrong on all of the Rodgers talk. 

Shefter was first reporter to guess that Rodgers was either retiring or playing for Jets.   If you said he was always wrong about Rodgers then it would suggest he wont play for Jets.   be careful what you said. lol.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Yea Wingo who AR 1st off talks to. When AR dislikes main stream insiders. Wingo has been spot on on everything with AR. He said a few days ago that the trade is nearly completed. Just some details need to be ironed out and GB figuring out how to “try” and do things right to look respectful to AR. And Jets to be prepared media wise and such. His exact words were to not expect it to drag into this next week. So I assume we hear something this week. But make no question AR will be the Jets QB in 2023.

We have no reason to not listen to him when he’s been spot on on everything with this.

Scheffty, Rap, Russini know nothing in this.

We will see.  

On 3/18/2023 at 1:37 PM, fattlipp said:

Those where his last years with Hackett, Rodgers will throw for 4000 yds 35 TDs and 7 picks in 2023 for the Jets.

So 2023 2nd,  2024 2nd that becomes a 1st if ARod has 110 QB Rating and plays 12+ games and a 2025 2nd if he plays in 2024.

Fair for all.

Your conditions are way too favorable for GB to hit the escalator and doesn't exactly equate to NYJ playoff success. I think you're getting warmer with the 2023 2nd & 2024 conditional 2nd, but incentives need to be based on playoffs not regular season stats. No 2025 picks.

23 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Okay, fine. Then we let Aaron talk to other teams lol. They’re getting something . 

Really? You really think it’s an apples to apples comparison? 

You hired the OC to lure him in. 

you signed a WR he’s comfortable with and wants 

You had the most important people travel to him. 

You waited for him while every other QB signed elsewhere. 

It’s going to be a hefty hefty price. 

I'm down to bet actual real life money that it's not going to be hefty hefty.

23 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

We have no idea what the Packers demands are, if their demands are truly 2 1s, or the 13th overall, the Jets wouldn't be in it to begin with. No team trades high value for a player pushing 40 and who the team wants to off load because of his contract. 

I think it's fairly safe to say the Packers don't want 2 FRPs for Rodgers.  That sounds exactly what you'd start a trade negotiation with.  Kinda like the Jets' trade offer probably starts with a conditional Day 3 pick that could improve to a Day 2 pick.  You find the happy medium.  And that's how negotiating works.  Right now, neither team feels pressure to get a deal done which is why I'm skeptical this deal gets done until the week or two before the draft.  We will have a better idea of how much Green Bay wants '23 draft capital or if they're more concerned with maximizing their return.

We are basically helping the Packers by taking Rodgers off their books for them so they can move onto Love. Why should we have to pay a big price for that? 

Because the Jets want Aaron Rodgers.  We can keep talking about how the Jets could pivot from Rodgers, but realistically they won't.

It should be a fair price, which would be a 2023 day 2 pick and a 2024 conditional pick. Maybe throw in Corey Davis who I think the Packers liked. 

Corey Davis doesn't have value by himself.  He's a cap casualty, and the only reason you're including him in this deal is because it gives the Jets more cap flexibility.  Green Bay can't afford his $10.5M cap hit as it is, so he'd either need to be either restructured (not ideal) or extended (again probably not ideal).  LIS, I think you're in the ballpark, but you'd need to be a bit more definitive with what Day 2 pick in 2023 and the conditions involved on that 2024 pick.  If you're talking about a 3rd round pick this year plus a pick that tops out as a 3rd next year, you're off.