QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

58 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

It’s pretty funny to read some of those comments.

They won’t be happy with a 2nd, conditional pick and Corey Davis. But that really is a fair deal.

I think their beat reporters were too optimistic with the two 1st. And then all this talk about leverage. Skewed their expectations.

13 is somewhat crazy. But I saw Garrett Wilson’s  name thrown out there which is even crazier.

Depending on the conditions of that future pick, that's probably the "medium" for the trade.  Nobody thinks that Garrett Wilson is going to be included.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Which is fair if you ask me.

I wonder how the money works with AR and Davis though.

I doubt it's them just taking on Davis' deal as is and us taking on ARs as is. 

Green Bay would still need to alter Corey Davis' deal, so the concept that Corey Davis "adds" value to a package is false.

40 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s a good meet in the middle trade.

We were never giving up just a mid rounder for him. And they were never getting 2 1sts.

A vet WR when they have a young group. A 2nd that’s in the top half of the 2nd and a conditional pick that’s likely between a 2nd-4th is fair 

I agree that it’s a fair deal. No biggie but there were posters talking of Wilson over in the GB forum. I son’t want to dig it up but it was the poster who claimed he has inside info. Said the deal was 13 and Wilson.

Again no biggie as there were also some Jets fan who were thinking a 3rd alone would do it.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Green Bay would still need to alter Corey Davis' deal, so the concept that Corey Davis "adds" value to a package is false.

Yes but Davis is due 10.5mill I believe and can be cut for nothing. So I’m reality if you added him you don’t have to pay him anything. But obviously if part of the deal. Good what him there. Which he has value in teaching young WRs and is for sure valuable when healthy. So you can rework a deal to get his cap hit down.

Point that makes no sense though is GB asks for us to pick up Davis’ contract or a big portion of it. Well obviously then we want GB then to take on some of ARs 60mill he’s owed. So at what point is it a wash? At Davis’ current salary or 10.5? If GB is asking for us pick all of that up and we’re asking GB to pick up 10mill of what ARs owed. That’s a wash pretty much. So why not just do the trade straight up? No one picks up any of the players being traded money. So it would just be the 2nd this year and the conditional next year that could go up to a 1st or as low as a 4th.

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes but Davis is due 10.5mill I believe and can be cut for nothing. So I’m reality if you added him you don’t have to pay him anything. But obviously if part of the deal. Good what him there. Which he has value in teaching young WRs and is for sure valuable when healthy. So you can rework a deal to get his cap hit down.

Point that makes no sense though is GB asks for us to pick up Davis’ contract or a big portion of it. Well obviously then we want GB then to take on some of ARs 60mill he’s owed. So at what point is it a wash? At Davis’ current salary or 10.5? If GB is asking for us pick all of that up and we’re asking GB to pick up 10mill of what ARs owed. That’s a wash pretty much. So why not just do the trade straight up? No one picks up any of the players being traded money. So it would just be the 2nd this year and the conditional next year that could go up to a 1st or as low as a 4th.

Exactly.  From NY's perspective, they don't need to include Corey Davis in the deal.  His dead cap is the same regardless of whether he's traded or he's released.  But as I mentioned, the Packers can't afford to take his $10.5M cap hit as it is, so the notion that the Jets can "unload" him onto the Packers as "incentive" isn't accurate. Green Bay would need to incentivize him to extend a new deal, which makes things even more complicated.  I'm not saying Corey Davis won't be in a deal, but the notion that he's a valuable piece in a deal is a farce.  And I think most are expecting a Corey Davis' release if he's not included in the Rodgers' deal.

And the notion that the Jets need the Packers to eat part of that option bonus is ridiculous.  Would NY like Green Bay to eat part of that option bonus?  Absolutely.  In the same vein that the Packers would like the Jets to fork over a pair of FRPs for Rodgers.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Exactly.  From NY's perspective, they don't need to include Corey Davis in the deal.  His dead cap is the same regardless of whether he's traded or he's released.  But as I mentioned, the Packers can't afford to take his $10.5M cap hit as it is, so the notion that the Jets can "unload" him onto the Packers as "incentive" isn't accurate. Green Bay would need to incentivize him to extend a new deal, which makes things even more complicated.  I'm not saying Corey Davis won't be in a deal, but the notion that he's a valuable piece in a deal is a farce.  And I think most are expecting a Corey Davis' release if he's not included in the Rodgers' deal.

And the notion that the Jets need the Packers to eat part of that option bonus is ridiculous.  Would NY like Green Bay to eat part of that option bonus?  Absolutely.  In the same vein that the Packers would like the Jets to fork over a pair of FRPs for Rodgers.

If Davis isn’t valuable to you guys and we can just cut him. Then why not just do the deal as a 2nd and a conditional next year. That’s from every reliable source is what I’ve heard the deal is (with Corey Davis included). But if the money with Davis and AR is what’s holding things up (apparently what the hold up is). Just take Davis out and do it straight up for that draft pick package. We can just cut Davis then.

Issue for you guys with that in regards to Davis, is he isn’t signing with you guys as a FA. As you stated you don’t have the money. So where’s that vet starting WR for you guys coming from that’s valuable and affordable? And that’s probably why you want him included with us eating that money. And then that makes sense why the Jets would want you guys to eat some money on AR or lessen the trade package.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

If Davis isn’t valuable to you guys and we can just cut him. Then why not just do the deal as a 2nd and a conditional next year. That’s from every reliable source is what I’ve heard the deal is (with Corey Davis included). But if the money with Davis and AR is what’s holding things up (apparently what the hold up is). Just take Davis out and do it straight up for that draft pick package. We can just cut Davis then.

That's why an inclusion of Corey Davis isn't because he holds actual value.  If he's included, it's because Green Bay thinks they can negotiate a deal with him, and in the event they're not able to do a deal that lowers his cap hit they can release him with $0 dead cap.

I haven't seen anything that suggests that $$$ is the hold up.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Issue for you guys with that in regards to Davis, is he isn’t signing with you guys as a FA. As you stated you don’t have the money. So where’s that vet starting WR for you guys coming from that’s valuable and affordable? And that’s probably why you want him included with us eating that money. And then that makes sense why the Jets would want you guys to eat some money on AR or lessen the trade package.

Probably the dumpster bin.  They did it last year, and they seemed poised to do it again this year.  Right now, Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs are their top 2 WRs, and they probably add at least 1 (if not 2) more WR through the draft, and let the backend of the roster be filled up by ST guys.  Somehow, Corey Davis at $10.5M as opposed to some veteran at the minimum seems like poor cap management.

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's why an inclusion of Corey Davis isn't because he holds actual value.  If he's included, it's because Green Bay thinks they can negotiate a deal with him, and in the event they're not able to do a deal that lowers his cap hit they can release him with $0 dead cap.

I haven't seen anything that suggests that $$$ is the hold up.

Probably the dumpster bin.  They did it last year, and they seemed poised to do it again this year.  Right now, Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs are their top 2 WRs, and they probably add at least 1 (if not 2) more WR through the draft, and let the backend of the roster be filled up by ST guys.  Somehow, Corey Davis at $10.5M as opposed to some veteran at the minimum seems like poor cap management.

Indications point to trade compensation not being the hold up though. It’s us picking up all or close to all of Davis’ money and you guys picking up some of ARs money.

Which for me should be an easy solution.

Just erase Davis from the trade all together and keep the same package draft compensation wise. With no one picking up anyone’s money.

So the trade would be our 2023 2nd and a conditional 2024 pick that can range as high as a 1st if we win the SB and as low as a 4th if we miss the playoffs.

4 hours ago, SDotNova said:

It’s pretty funny to read some of those comments.

They won’t be happy with a 2nd, conditional pick and Corey Davis. But that really is a fair deal.

I think their beat reporters were too optimistic with the two 1st. And then all this talk about leverage. Skewed their expectations.

13 is somewhat crazy. But I saw Garrett Wilson’s  name thrown out there which is even crazier.

I've seen at least one beat reporter suggest if the deal falls through, Rodgers will just retire (absolving the Packers of his massive contract). Then there's Andrew Brandt, who by his own admission is a "bias Packers fan", claiming the Jets have no leverage because it would be great it Rodgers returned. 

... Hard to imagine why Packers fans are so dogmatically convinced they hold all the power.

In reality, it'll likely end up being what most on here (And some Packers fans, to their credit) have been thinking -- something in the ballpark of a 2nd this year + a conditional pick next. 

Will be fun to watch people move the goal posts (again) to make it out like they were right all along. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Indications point to trade compensation not being the hold up though. It’s us picking up all or close to all of Davis’ money and you guys picking up some of ARs money.

Which for me should be an easy solution.

Just erase Davis from the trade all together and keep the same package draft compensation wise. With no one picking up anyone’s money.

So the trade would be our 2023 2nd and a conditional 2024 pick that can range as high as a 1st if we win the SB and as low as a 4th if we miss the playoffs.

I haven't seen any reputable sources suggest that it's the money that's holding things up.  I believe the latest reports suggest that the Packers feel the Jets are lowballing, while the Jets feel that the Packers have set an unrealistic asking price.  I'd love to know who is reporting that $$$ is the issue.

8 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

I've seen at least one beat reporter suggest if the deal falls through, Rodgers will just retire (absolving the Packers of his massive contract). Then there's Andrew Brandt, who by his own admission is a "bias Packers fan", claiming the Jets have no leverage because it would be great it Rodgers returned. 

... Hard to imagine why Packers fans are so dogmatically convinced they hold all the power.

In reality, it'll likely end up being what most on here (And some Packers fans, to their credit) have been thinking -- something in the ballpark of a 2nd this year + a conditional pick next. 

Will be fun to watch people move the goal posts (again) to make it out like they were right all along. 

There's a SUBSTANTIALLY better chance he retires than him suiting up for the Packers this year.  He's not going to come back to sit behind Jordan Love.  He's not that desperate to collect $60M.  He can collect money in other avenues.  If you don't understand that, then you haven't followed Aaron Rodgers for very long.

And I don't think there's any Packers' fans who think they're getting multiple FRPs.