QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

Just about all the QBs we've mentioned are upgrades, so I'll be cool with almost anyone. My top-2 are still LJ and Rodgers, but I believe we can still challenge good teams with other options. I'm more concerned about the coaching against our division. We'll need another strong offseason to make me believe we can make the playoffs. 

Draft wise, I don't see any of the top-3 QBs falling to us. Later rounds, I would be interested in DTR or Hooker in the later rounds. As a UCLA fan, I watched every DTR game. His development was impressive. He has to work on his decision making in tough games. He tries to force plays because we didn't have the best WR options. Most of them over the years were 3 star guys. He basically had a new WR core every year. Bobo & Allen was 2022, Philips & Cota was 2021, and it was just Philips in 2020 + a shorten season. My only concern with Hooker is his deep ball. If that's something that can be improved, I'd be mad if we passed him. 

4 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Just about all the QBs we've mentioned are upgrades, so I'll be cool with almost anyone. My top-2 are still LJ and Rodgers, but I believe we can still challenge good teams with other options. I'm more concerned about the coaching against our division. We'll need another strong offseason to make me believe we can make the playoffs. 

Draft wise, I don't see any of the top-3 QBs falling to us. Later rounds, I would be interested in DTR or Hooker in the later rounds. As a UCLA fan, I watched every DTR game. His development was impressive. He has to work on his decision making in tough games. He tries to force plays because we didn't have the best WR options. Most of them over the years were 3 star guys. He basically had a new WR core every year. Bobo & Allen was 2022, Philips & Cota was 2021, and it was just Philips in 2020 + a shorten season. My only concern with Hooker is his deep ball. If that's something that can be improved, I'd be mad if we passed him. 

I remember our disgust with DTR 2 years ago.   However, do we ever trust Chip Kelly's qb?

Just now, JetsandI said:

I remember our disgust with DTR 2 years ago.   However, do we ever trust Chip Kelly's qb?

I normally wouldn't but the steps DTR took over the years feels like his drive is muscling out of CK's mold. Do I think he will be a star? I have no clue, but the kid has heart. I've seen him get hurt and come right back in to win the game. He's worth a shot in the right round and a couple of years to develop. If he's there in the 5th, I'd pull the trigger. Send him straight to the weight room and footage room. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Wow...  QB certainly doesn't require solid career to make big money.

I was trying to tell everyone when everyone was fighting about Carr making $40M after next season on the previous contract. By that time, the average QB will be making $40M. He's getting $52M in year one, but his average would have been $35M per year. That's another reason why I'm not stressing about how much we pay as long as the QB is good. Teams with the right GMS and Coaches figure out how to make it work. 

4 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I was trying to tell everyone when everyone was fighting about Carr making $40M after next season on the previous contract. By that time, the average QB will be making $40M. He's getting $52M in year one, but his average would have been $35M per year. That's another reason why I'm not stressing about how much we pay as long as the QB is good. Teams with the right GMS and Coaches figure out how to make it work. 

To add to my point, Carr's new contract will give him $45M in 2025 before his next out. He makes $55M after that. 

Edited by rickyt31

8 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

To add to my point, Carr's new contract will give him $45M in 2025 before his next out. He makes $55M after that. 

On spotrac, you only need to follow the yearly cash column when you try to make a case about him making money.    Further notice, 10m in 2024 is injury guaranteed so he basically is locked for 70m over 2 years today.

Edited by JetsandI

Carr signing with the Saints, which personal wise is a bit of an older team. However Carr makes them a viable threat to make it deep into the playoffs and perhaps a SB appearance. 

I'm sure the Jets were aware that Carr was about to sign with N.O., but here's the thing, as of right now the Jets have been left with less options.

Should Rodgers throw a wrench into the works he could just turn around and say, I'm going to play my last year at G.B. then retire. This is probably the most effective way to get back at G.B., get paid and pull the rug out from under the Jets. 

But there is this, the Jets signed Hackett as the OC, there is a connection between he and Rodgers and what better way to stick it to G.B. by still getting paid and earning another MVP, he would be catapulted into the best QB outside of Mahomes in the AFC.

The Jets would be considered the favorite to win the AFC East title, earn a bye in the first round of the playoffs and perhaps make a run at the S.B.

I don't think retirement is on the table for 56 million reasons.

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

On spotrac, you only need to follow the yearly cash column when you try to make a case about him making money.    Further notice, 10m in 2024 is injury guaranteed so he basically is locked for 70m over 2 years today.

I didn't check on there. Just went by another reporter, but still, that price tag everyone complained about will be the norm. Price goes up every year. Inflation is out here to. lol 

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

But to go from the levels of Rodgers, Jackson and Carr to the next tier is a huge drop off. Of course if we miss out on Rodgers or Jackson... they'd act like Jimmy G is like bringing in a savior. When we all know otherwise. 

I don't think the gap between Jimmy and Carr is really that significant. And Rodgers is a top 3-4 QB in the league, I'd much rather wait on Rodgers, miss Carr, and be stuck with Jimmy then rush to sign Carr and miss on a chance to potentially trade for Rodgers.

Rodgers makes you guys a legitimate super bowl contender. Carr arguably could've been the 3rd/4th best QB in your division next season.

Edited by NYRaider

Jets owner Woody Johnson is reportedly the reason why Gang Green didn’t make an offer to New Orleans Saints quarterback Derek Carr as the team set it sights on Aaron Rodgers.  This, according to NFL insider Matthew Berry.  In discussing the “buzz” going on this past weekend at the NFL scouting combine, Berry had this to say about Carr and the Jets:

As long as we are talking big-name quarterbacks, despite all the rumors of Derek Carr going to the Jets, one thing that held that up was that Jets owner Woody Johnson really wants Aaron Rodgers. So, the staff has had to be supportive of that. However, secretly, the rest of the team’s front office wanted Derek Carr. Now that Carr is reportedly signing with New Orleans, the Jets are in “Hoping for Rodgers” mode. If that doesn’t work out… who knows?

Love me some Woody Johnson 

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Considering reports that they're shopping Henry I think there's a chance they just go full rebuild mode.

Maybe but 29 years old RB?  Titans can live without him even though he will be sorely missed in Nashville.