QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

On 3/4/2023 at 4:56 PM, Heymangold said:

Running fast and jumping high/far doesn’t make up for the fact he was like a 54% completion guy in his college career.  This is why I hate the combine.

Jumping high doesn't but his ability to run with that size and power will absolutely help the fact that he can't throw right now. He needs to sit a year or even two, in fact I still think he should stay in school, but I know some team is going to overdraft him. If a team like Seattle takes him and lets him sit behind Geno for a few years, it may be his best route of development. I don't love the throwing tape on him either. He would go undrafted if he didn't run. 

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Average to above average. Some young talent there that could take it to good. Only glaring need we have is at C. McGovern is a FA

You are the eternal optimist concerning the OL, aren't you?  Truth is the OL is a big fat ?.  Becton has missed two years and we are hoping he does not get hurt AGAIN this year (any Vegas odds on that).  Mitchell is a huge ? with the blood clots.  I am sure he will come back but when?  Tomlinson blows, period.  AVT is coming off a season ending injury and should be fine other than shaking some rust off.  And we do not have a OC on the roster.  Brown is 37 and coming or a shoulder injury which hampered him all year.

But other than all that.  We are set. Woo-Hoo.

Edited by xrade

4 minutes ago, xrade said:

You are the eternal optimist concerning the OL, aren't you?  Truth is the OL is a big fat ?.  Becton has missed two years and we are hoping he does not get hurt AGAIN this year (any Vegas odds on that).  Mitchell is a huge ? with the blood clots.  I am sure he will come back but when?  Tomlinson blows, period.  AVT is coming off a season ending injury and should be fine other than shaking some rust off.  And we do not have a OC on the roster.  Brown is 37 and coming or a shoulder injury which hampered him all year.

Optimist but with reality behind it.

Becton should 100% be healthy and looks in shape already and TC is months away. When he's on the field he's great. So being that he will be healthy. I expect that play from him. Is there reason for concern with his health? 100% But being he's healthy and ready, I expect him to be a good starter for us.

Tomlinson is the only question mark for me. He didn't play that well last year, But he's a guy throughout his career that has been good and is too young for me to think he just lost it. 31 isn't crazy old for OGs. I expect better play from him the season. I'll go even a step further though on that and think we resign Herbig for a cheaper deal. Tomlinson can't improve... than Herbig can take that spot. And he should only get better and better. I expect him to be a better shape come camp too.

AVTs injury was upper body and he'll be 100 healthy come TC. Guy is a star OG. So no reason to think he wont be the same.

Brown is our insurance. As you stated he battled injury all last year. But he when healthy is an above average OT. He didn't look like that bc of injury (I believe I read he played pretty much the whole year needing surgery but battled through it). So I expect him to be better.

Mitchell was never supposed to start last year. He got thrown in bc of injuries. His clots from everything I have read, shouldn't hinder him. It was a matter of diagnosing it and doing the neccasirly things to prevent it. I expect Mitchell to come into camp bigger and more polished and actually able to battle for an OT starting spot.

And yes we don't have a starting center right now. But do you really think we don't do something there? Pretty much no teams go into FA with all 5 OL spots slated in with for sure starters. So I have no clue what we do here... but I expect the floor of C play we get to be no worse than CMG.

So yes I expect the OL to be average to above average. This is with no draft picks or even FA used on it. The OL play don't forget was actually pretty good until AVT went down. And we also had no QBs that have pocket awareness or even know where and when to get rid of the ball. Assuming we're upgrading with a vet QB. That alone makes the OL A LOT better. 

Now with Carr going to the Saints it is now time to go all in on Rodgers. We are now the only team that will take him on. Maybe I will win my bet now lol. I want nothing to do with anyone else but Rodgers. If the Jets miss out on Rodgers than JD and Saleh jobs should be on the line for letting Carr leave the buildng when you where not 100% sure Rodgers would be a jet. I think the deal for Rodgers might be a lot sweeter than we all thought. I'm thinking a 3rd round this year and maybe something next year and GB taking on some of the cap hit. 

40 minutes ago, xrade said:

This I'm still struggling with.  The guys has been a solid OG basically his entire career (average to slightly above average at times).  We had turnstiles at C and LT so that can't be good for helping him.  He did have some insanely crazy mental lapses last year but everything you hear about him was great leader hard worker so I'm not ready to say he mailed it in especially for his old HC.

I expect he should revert back to the norm especially if a great QB like Rodgers is under center and not holding the ball like Wilson.  We should expect average/slightly below average OG play from him which is more likely than being among the worst starters like last year.

In the NFL you need average OL play to succeed, you don't need great play (although it helps).  A QB who can call protections is a huge bonus something we seriously lacked last year.

Injuries can cripple any team because cohesion matters too.  We have a higher chance of that given age / history of some guys but a healthy Brown can be average, Tomlinson has proven to be average outside of last year.  C is a ? but Becton / AVT can be great.  

Good news is we have a shot at one of the plug and play guys and they all seems to be versatile enough to play left or right, inside or out.  Adding a guy like that will go along way to help with depth injury concerns.  I don't think we are as bad as people make it out but there is work to be done.

10 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

So, we'll give up the 13th overall and whatever for 1 year of Rodgers I guess. 

Very good deal. If they get to the championship game it was worth it. Will they beat KC and Cinci or whomever? Who knows? But this puts them at the top 2-3 teams in the AFC if healthy. With the last place schedule, they should get homefield. It depends on what other teams do, but this makes them a number 3 seed minimum. 

If Rogers walks, then Wilson would get one more year after sitting this year.

Edited by WheatieMan