QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's not wrong, but he's also not right either.  He's operating under the premise that the Packers can't or don't want to have Rodgers' cap hit larger on the books than what they're currently set to have him for.  Right now, Green Bay has about ~$17M in cap space and trading him before June 1st would drop that to just $8.8M in cap space.  Fortunately, Green Bay has a couple of ways to open up some notable cap space with a restructure of David Bakhtiari ($7.9M) and trade Darnell Savage ($7.9M) if they want/need more cap space.

What about the $40M dead money?  I know GB structured the contract such that trading him vs. cutting him would be preferable $ wise.  I just don't think they thought it would be before 2024.

23 minutes ago, xrade said:

What about the $40M dead money?  I know GB structured the contract such that trading him vs. cutting him would be preferable $ wise.  I just don't think they thought it would be before 2024.

It's already accounted for.  The Packers are ~$17M under the cap right now with Rodgers' $32M cap hit.  If they trade him, it's an additional $8.7M which would drop their cap space to ~$8.8M.

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's already accounted for.  The Packers are ~$17M under the cap right now with Rodgers' $32M cap hit.  If they trade him, it's an additional $8.7M which would drop their cap space to ~$8.8M.

Gotcha.  Still stings if you're GB but I now understand it a little better.  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, xrade said:

Gotcha.  Still stings if you're GB but I now understand it a little better.  Thanks.

You also have to remember that the dead money is kind of offset the price for your cheap starter in Love who is like 3.9 mill. So the dead money at 40 plus Love 3.9 is 43.9 mill. So your paying your starting QB 43.9 mill for the year. So it is really not that big of a hit as most people want to push. 

1 hour ago, KimuraGod said:

Make it happen JD!!!

A lot to read into this…. Jeremiah is close to JD. So that’s worth noting. Also the compensation I believe went down a ton when LV backed out. I said a couple weeks ago that GB didn’t set his price if he wants out. The teams trying to trade for him do. At that time LV and us were looked at as really only his 2 big destinations. With them out. GB likely not wanting to trade him to the NFC at all. It has us with the cards now. JD I think knows that and probably hasn’t made an offer GB can’t refuse, so there’s been no concrete agreement when Rodgers informs us of his decision. I do still think the way we find out Rodgers future is in one announcement. Meaning… if he wants to stay in GB or retire, that’s obviously just 1 announcement and move on. What I don’t expect is for him to announce he wants a trade and let that brew for days in the media. I think if he wants a trade, GB gets that trade done asap. And it’s just one big announcement that Rodgers has been traded to team x. Not separate announcements.

Also I think we hear something regarding Rodgers and Carr in the next few days. Make no question they both want a new team before FA opens. To help recruit and build winning rosters. FA opens in 11 days.

• Like 2

Just now, ekill08x said:

Man Anthony Richardson is an athletic freak. Hes gunna go top 5. 

I have said for the last two months he’s my favourite qb. Not that the athletic stuff has cemented that more but Jesus his testing has been unreal. 

12 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Man Anthony Richardson is an athletic freak. Hes gunna go top 5. 

Very overrated in my book. He is a work out warrior. His ball placement is trash and I don't think it will ever be at a NFL starting QB level. He is a poor mans Josh Allen but worse ball placement. 

17 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Very overrated in my book. He is a work out warrior. His ball placement is trash and I don't think it will ever be at a NFL starting QB level. He is a poor mans Josh Allen but worse ball placement. 

Running fast and jumping high/far doesn’t make up for the fact he was like a 54% completion guy in his college career.  This is why I hate the combine.

Edited by Heymangold